PDA

View Full Version : Gray, Daye, Downs, Sacre

BobZag
10-09-2008, 10:21 AM
I was talking briefly to Steven Gray about his sister Brittany being at GU next year on Coach Graves' team. There was something I noticed about Steven. We didn't talk hoops, just about his sister and how much fun it will be to have her here. But during our chat I noticed that his voice has changed, it's deeper now, and I swear he is taller and bigger now compared to just last spring. I believe he had a bit of a growth/maturity spurt over summer and into fall. I've talked to him enough last year to know he's changed a bit. In talking to one of our coaches, he's working hardest on ballhandling and expanding his game to more than just 3-point shooting. And he's working on his defense, as well.

Daye will begin going full-speed in about ten days. He's been doing individual drills and is doing well. He is progressing on schedule and will ease into full contact (scrimmaging) starting soon.

Downs has been playing really well. He's completely healthy and big things are within his reach this year. He has never looked better physically and is in a great frame of mind.

Sacre had a tiny pin put in his fractured foot bone and is expected back at full strength in two months. Personally, I'd be happy to see him back at 100% in time for WCC play in three months so as not to rush anything.

Saw Meech, only said hello, but he's built like a quarterhorse. Built for quick bursts of speed. Pargo is bigger and taller, but you can see how Meech has afterburners that Pargo lacks.

And Tommy Lloyd has the cutest baby girl I've ever seen. :)

MickMick
10-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Gray is working hardest on his ballhandling.

Music to my ears.

This is (was?) a team weakness, not just a Gray weakness. If this team gets to the point where 2-3 players on the court can dribble through a minefield, then they are certainly capable of going the distance. I have always believed that their biggest obstacle is team ballhandling. Very happy to see that the coaching staff recognizes that and is addressing it.

deathchina
10-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Gray is a stud.

Nevtelen
10-09-2008, 12:13 PM
All great to hear!!

Frazzle
10-09-2008, 12:14 PM
And Tommy Lloyd has the cutest baby girl I've ever seen. :)

I was peeved until I realized you haven't seem my baby girl.:D

CDC84
10-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Gray just keeps getting better and better. He came into Gonzaga as an
"at risk" perimeter defender, and he's turned into a guy who guards the other team's best wing. When I saw him in high school, he didn't possess the greatest of handles, but when asked by Few to work on his ballhandling prior to his freshman year, he became the 2nd best ballhandler on last year's team. And we simply have not seen all that Gray can do offensively. He was more than just a sharpshooter in high school. He's just going to get better.

Another important reason for Gray to keep improving his ballhandling.....he was a 83% foul shooter last year, and he's proven that he can knock them down with the game on the line. With Pargo's free throw shooting percentage taking a dive last season, it's uncertain how reliable he will be at the charity stripe.

gozagswoohoo
10-09-2008, 01:15 PM
ALL very good to hear. I love updates of this nature. Thanks BZ

sittingon50
10-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks BZ.

Zag79
10-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Downs has been playing really well. He's completely healthy and big things are within his reach this year. He has never looked better physically and is in a great frame of mind.

ive been waiting for this so all the peeps on the board who dont understand how good md is can finally see for themselves...

whatazag
10-15-2008, 05:34 PM
It is too bad that the two guys who it seems have looked the best / improved the most over the summer play the same position on our team.

BobZag
10-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Gray can easily play the 2 while Downs is a good 3. Those two could be deadly together. Potentially, anyway.

gamagin
10-15-2008, 06:22 PM
you light up this board day in and day out with your sharp, accurate and caring reports.

all the best,

Zag79
10-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Gray can easily play the 2 while Downs is a good 3. Those two could be deadly together.

this is where i hope Few uses my thinking. :D pargo, daye, heytvelt on the floor at almost all times and then alternate gray and bouldin depending on whos hottest. bouldin should start but if hes cold gray can step in and carry his load. if micahs off and gray and bouldin are on you get my drift.