PDA

View Full Version : Heytvelt is back

BobZag
10-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Spoke to some people close to Josh and he's fully healed and can do anything he wants to do on his ankle. Playing 3-on-3 and 5-on-5 is what he's learning and acclimating himself to now, plus the staff has the reins on him to just make sure he doesn't go overboard and overdo it right off the bat.

He is as healthy now as he has ever been at GU.

He will probably play at about 255 this season. Seeing him yesterday, I think you'll all notice how huge is shoulders and upper arms have become. He has really packed on the muscle.

Academically, he is now working on his Master's. In his spare time, he has joined a bowling league. He is doing well.

Anyway, Josh is back at 100%. You'll see this next Friday evening.

former1dog
10-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Way back when Few said something to the effect that Josh's "incident" could be someday seen as one of Gonzaga's finest moments. I think Few might get a new title by the end of this season, the Nostradamus of Gonzaga.

I was very critical of Josh after his self induced problems and frankly I wanted him off the team and out of Gonzaga. I'm glad no one listed to me. :o

And, just to be clear. I am most glad for Josh's progress Off The Court, the on the court stuff is definitely appreciated, too, I won't kid myself.

Here's to Josh Heytvelt and to Gonzaga University, truly a special place with special people.

:cheers:

gozagswoohoo
10-09-2008, 09:51 AM
That is quite possibly the BEST news I have heard in weeks!!! Especially the part about him joining a bowling league! :-)

hockeyzag
10-09-2008, 09:56 AM
HOORAY!!! Excited to see Josh throw down some thundering dunks this year. Followed by a nice long Heytvelt ROAR!! IN YO FACE!!

GoZags
10-09-2008, 09:58 AM
He is as healthy now as he has ever been at GU......

Anyway, Josh is back at 100%. You'll see this next Friday evening.

Outstanding news, Bob. GoZags

MDABE80
10-09-2008, 09:59 AM
It's gratifying to know Josh is finally to a point where he can do what we saw a few years ago. As CDC posted, Austin is our offense guy this upcoming year but Josh can do so much more because of his spectactular athleticism.

In some ways, these two kids embody what most coaches drool over. Both can score 20 or more and quickly. Both rebound and both run the floor like gazelles. Any defense that focuces on one will be rewarded by the other. It's a spectacular problem for others to figure out. I don't remember seeing 2 "15-20 pt bigs" on many other teams in college ...certainly not in WCC.

I really want Josh to be an AA this year. It's up to him though. We all love comback stories. It's fun to see one happening right under our noses though IMO. GO JOSH!!

Once and Future Zag
10-09-2008, 10:16 AM
When in doubt - link the UNC vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqJS6ONXPE

jim77
10-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Great to hear.

As far as I'm concerned he's the best big man in college basketball when he's healthy. Josh lining up with Austin is a scary thing. GO JOSH!

Oregon Zag
10-09-2008, 10:29 AM
This is scary good. Thanks, BZ!

MBZags
10-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Not only is he in the bowling league, he's probably the best bowler in the league. Currently, he has the league record of 241. He's got some crazy spin.

MJGoGaels
10-09-2008, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=MDABE80;258633] I don't remember seeing 2 "15-20 pt bigs" on many other teams in college ...certainly not in WCC.QUOTE]

let me introduce you to Simpson, Samhan and Allen.

former1dog
10-09-2008, 11:30 AM
let me introduce you to Simpson, Samhan and Allen.

I don't think you'd get a quarrel from anyone on the value of Simpson. Samhan, I think, most on this board would say they'd take a pass on.

Not me. I love to hate the guy, but if he were on our team, I would love him... minus the flipping off opposing teams coaches and all that. I like Samhan's game and have since he was a freshman. Not really a guy whose personality would fit in at GU, but I love his game nonetheless.

Nevtelen
10-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Agreed f1d. I'm quite interested to see Allen this year. He was clearly out of place in Indiana, but how much can he contribute at SMC? I haven't seen a much about him on the Gael board, either, beyond a few references that he could be "Kickert-esque". I'll be interested in what he brings.

Still, I would take GU's bigs any day. Especially when Sacre get back to (hopefully) shore things up even more.

It's great to hear Heytvelt's back - I really hope he makes a huge impression his senior year. It's odd to think about how long he's been in a GU uniform and how little he's really gotten to play. Let's hope this is the year it all clicks for him and he puts it together in a way none of us will forget.

GUZagDenver
10-09-2008, 12:17 PM
I think you know when you are a Saint Mary's fan when you have to come to your rival's message board to talk about your own team. If Heytvelt and Daye are healthy, they are easily the best frontcourt in the conference, and one of the best in the country. Simpson is legit, but Samhan is a slug. I love that Saint Mary's now thinks they are legit, after 2 decent years in a mediocre conference. I know our fans will have hit rock bottom when we make "Beat the Gaels" t-shirts, and join their message boards.

former1dog
10-09-2008, 12:22 PM
I think you know when you are a Saint Mary's fan when you have to come to your rival's message board to talk about your own team. If Heytvelt and Daye are healthy, they are easily the best frontcourt in the conference, and one of the best in the country. Simpson is legit, but Samhan is a slug. I love that Saint Mary's now thinks they are legit, after 2 decent years in a mediocre conference. I know our fans will have hit rock bottom when we make "Beat the Gaels" t-shirts, and join their message boards.

GUZagDenver,

MJGoGaels is a friend of this board and his input and perspective are appreciated.

Furthermore, St. Mary's is a PROGRAM to be respected and they do things well and the right way. St. Mary's is legit because they have proven themselves on the court consistently.

Please, try to be less confrontational with friends from other schools.

JLGutrocks
10-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Looking forward to a little of this (http://www.thepelhams.org/zags/index_files/tomahawk.htm).

thickman1
10-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Looking forward to a little of this (http://www.thepelhams.org/zags/index_files/tomahawk.htm).

That dunk was absolutely filthy, nasty.

thickman1
10-09-2008, 12:31 PM
This one, http://www.thepelhams.org/zags/index_files/runner.htm , is still my favorite. I hope there is a new one to watch come late March this year.

CDC84
10-09-2008, 12:45 PM
I wish Gonzaga could discover a way to keep Diamon Simpson off the offensive boards. He's been a 3 year headache. It'll be interesting to see how much Ben Allen has improved since his Indiana days. He was not all that impressive when GU beat the Hoosiers back in March 2006.

MJGoGaels is one of the good people. Be easy on the feller :o

zag67
10-09-2008, 02:05 PM
I would also like to 2nd (3rd) CDC and Former. I have to admit that playing St Marys is scary at times.

GoZags
10-09-2008, 03:28 PM
This one, http://www.thepelhams.org/zags/index_files/runner.htm , is still my favorite. I hope there is a new one to watch come late March this year.

While I would be 100% onboard for getting some new, exciting highlights from late March, my hope is that sometime in my life we'll have some highlights from early April. GoZags

http://www.ncaa.com/championshiphub/default.php?id=9920

MDABE80
10-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Simpson is an exceptionally good player but I don't regard him as a BIG. Allen's unproven. The other guy is decent. I still don't think there's anything like Josh and Austin in the league...almost none I can think of in the college game this year.. MJGo's is a good guy and an enthusiast from St Marys. Same as we are for the Zags.

GonzagaGurl08
10-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info BZ. Here's to hoping that Josh has an good, injury-free senior season!!

ZagsGoZags
10-09-2008, 08:03 PM
This was a quote from earlier on the thread: "I know our fans will have hit rock bottom when we make "Beat the Gaels" t-shirts, and join their message boards."

I can see the point about hoping beating the Gaels T-shirts is worth filling the kennel, that's right on.

But join their message boards? Why not? I assume lots of people join each other's boards for info and friendly rivalry? I assume many zag fans are on the Gael's board or boards at this point.

MickMick
10-09-2008, 09:45 PM
If Josh is the old Josh, the only player in the WCC that would provide a challenge for him is Bryant. Josh at his best is a very,very good player. Possibly the best player on the team.

If the Zags make a deep run, Josh will get his due. If they make a deep, deep run, then Josh will get NBA recognition (on draft day) at least comparable to Florida's Noah.

I personally believe that Josh at his best is a lottery pick. We just never had a chance to see it yet. He may be the type of player that just blows up at the pro level. Very athletic and can shoot from distance as well.

Zaga86
10-10-2008, 09:23 AM
A friend of mine is neighbors with him so I see him all the time. He looks good and should be just fine for the season.

TheZagPhish
10-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Welcome to the board, Zaga86!