PDA

View Full Version : Parrish on talent

Nevtelen
10-08-2008, 07:26 PM
...and who has the goods this season (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11016034). An interesting take on things. GU is near the end of the list, but still among the top in the country, especially if you think that teams like Ohio St won't quite perform up to par because the talent is excessively young.

Kiddwell
10-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Interesting article. Love the talent the Zags have accumulated. It'll be very interesting to see how the young and in-coming players rank in a couple years.

Wonder if Micah Downs can break into that potential NBA draft picks list. He's got the talent. Would love to see Micah have a great senior campaign.

:]

CDC84
10-09-2008, 07:43 AM
If Parrish gathered his data from nbadraft.net, the Zags would have an even higher rating. That being said, if I were doing the same sort of study, I would be inclined to go with draftexpress.com as well. It's more reliable, although Daye is a lottery pick in 2009 if he elects to come out, and if Josh stays healthy, I still think someone is going to take him in the 1st round. Any hesitation that teams might have is going to disappear once they see the lack of quality players who will be in 2009 draft. It's not going to be a good draft. Also, trying to guess where members of the 2008 recruiting class might end up in future drafts is a really tough task when at least 2/3 of the 2008 Burger Boy team wouldn't have been Burger Boys if they were a part of the 2007 recruiting class.

CDC84
10-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Wonder if Micah Downs can break into that potential NBA draft picks list. He's got the talent. Would love to see Micah have a great senior campaign.

If Micah plays as good as he has throughout the offseason, and if he's consistent about it, I think there's a semi-decent chance that someone will pick him somewhere in 2nd round in 2009. He has good size for a NBA small forward, he's very athletic, improving defensively, and he can shoot it from long distance. When you start getting to the back end of the 2nd round, it's like picking names out of a hat. Add that to a weak and unpredictable draft, and suggesting that Downs might get picked is not unreasonable if he enjoys a good senior year.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Interesting article. He's certainly right. It's the teams with NBA talent that most commonly go to Final Fours and almost always take home the hardware at the end of the year. As much as a good coaching and strong team chemistry can help a squad overachieve, it's hard to beat a team with players that can run faster, jump higher, and shoot better. That sort of reasoning seems intuitive, but sometimes the extreme importance of talent gets lost in the mix.

CDC84
10-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Rick Pitino has always said that you need at least 3 NBA players to win the national title. The more you have, the better off you are....so long as the guys work well together. UConn in 2005/06 was an example of a team that had more NBA players than any team in college basketball, but they couldn't even make the final 4. That group was never in sync.