PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Spokane. few questions

IowaSERE
10-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Nate, I lived in Spokane from 93-98 while I was in the USAF as a Survival Instructor. Work took me to Iowa were I became a HUGE Iowa State Cyclone fan. I went through a divorce 3 years ago and my ex-wife moved back to Spokane with our 3 boys.

I have decided to bite the bullet and am leaving everything that I have here in Iowa and am moving back to Spokane. My oldest son turns 13 at the end of the month and I hope to be there for it.

I was a HUGE Zags fan back in the 90's and early 00's. I remember following Frahm, Santangelo, and Calvary during the Sweet 16 run. Those were great times. I am looking forward to following them again.

I know it is probably not a popular choice, but I will also cheer for Wazzu Football. Is there much of that here?

Here is where I need some help. I am looking for a job, and for a townhouse/apt to rent. My background is in sales and in training. I was a Survival Instructor in the Air Force, and then spent 10 years in School Fundraising sales. For the last year I have been selling Chevy's.

My goal is to find a good sales job 1st, then pick a residence in that location. I am 33 years old and have no idea what Spokane is like now. When I lived there, the Valley was a dump full of prositutes, strip clubs, and drugs. I have heard that it is a nice area now. Same with downtown.

I am looking for an area with a younger vibe. Some nightlife and things to do that are not too far away.

If anyone know anyone renting, looking for a roommate, etc, or could recommend a place to look for a job, I would really appreciate it.

I know NO ONE in Spokane, and am a little nervous. I hope that I'll make some new friends here, and the 1st beer will be on me!

feel free to email me with any info. qspnate@gmail.com

krozman
10-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I can't advise you on the status of the job market, but the housing market is such that you will have no problem finding a house/apt in the area you want to live. I don't personally enjoy the Valley, but as long as you go east of Argonne exit I think you can find reasonably safe neighborhoods to raise a family. I live up on the 5 mile prairie, which has exploded significantly in the last 10 years. Even living up here and my wife working in Cheney, the traffic isn't so horrible that you have to restrict yourself to a particular location.

IowaSERE
10-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Where is the 5 mile prairie?

roxdoc
10-08-2008, 11:46 AM
With Survival School background - how about checking out the big Cabella's outdoors store at the state line for a sales job? Have no idea if hiring, or if its a good place to work but maybe its a fit. Address is probably Post Falls, ID.

IowaSERE
10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Thats a great idea! I didn't know they had a Cabellas there.

I was considering CDA as a possible city to move to. What is the nightlife/social scene like there?

lawzag
10-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Iowa,

as with everywhere living situations are relative - depending on your financial situation. Low end living (with the exception of the 300k+ condos recently constructed in downtown) is primarily found within Spokane city limits (12th ave on the south, empire, or so, on the north, fancher on the east & into browns addition on the west. However, even in those areas there are some decent lower/middle income areas.

The valley is now its own city. Most of the nightlife is in downtown Spokane (although the valley is more & more active).

Coeur d'Alene is VERY active nightlife & stuff to do - lots of Spokane folks go to CDA to do stuff, its only a 30 min drive.

more later......

IowaSERE
10-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Sounded good until I talked to them.

$9 an hour isn't quite going to cut it. I'm used to making $80k or more in sales. I could get back into the car business and make that I would guess. Just not sure if that is really what I want to do.

Vizagra
10-08-2008, 12:54 PM
http://www.city-data.com/forum/spokane-area/

this site is geared more toward relocating. I would post your original post there and see what these peeps have to say too.

Good luck!...and if you ever need a home loan...just sayin. :)

23dpg
10-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Good luck Iowa. My dad was an instructor for the survival school back in the early days. It's what brought us out to the northwest.

Zagdawg
10-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Keep in mind Idaho has a state income tax--but Washington does not.
Washington has higher gas tax and sales tax than Idaho.

Take a look at Craigslist Spokane also-- sometimes you will find a good deal/job/house to rent etc.

gu03alum
10-08-2008, 02:34 PM
There are a lot of new car dealers in Spokane. Camp is pretty big and sells Chevy's. I believe they are owned by Lithia. In Kellog, Idaho, there is Dave Smith and I think they are the leading seller of Dodge trucks in the nation.

I live up a few blocks of Francis in the northwest side of town and there a few bars within walking distance that are fun to go out to including Tonix, Swinging Doors, and the Screaming Yak. Downtown Spokane has a lot of cool bars too and its a pretty quick drive from the north side at night.

LynetteG
10-08-2008, 06:54 PM
For car sales, the Mercedes dealer downtown (which is a Lithia dealer) is relocating to Liberty Lake summer 09, I believe. LL is really booming, too. Housing won't be a problem. Craigslist is a great idea. I hear radio ads for spokanehelpwanted.com but haven't checked it out. Welcome back!

Lynette, Michigan born and raised, moved to Spokane almost 6 years ago.

krozman
10-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Where is the 5 mile prairie?

On the northernmost city limits, just north of Francis and Maple streets on the northwest side, on top of a hill. It's 12 minutes from I-90 or so.

Anyway, I don't want to burst your bubble, but this is Spokane. Making 80k a year is not difficult after a few years, but given Spokane's cost of living (which is lower than most big cities) i'm not sure a new sales job is going to produce that initially (unless you're an excellent salesman sir!). Making 50k a year here is better than making 70k in Seattle just from a cost of living standpoint, so don't get discouraged.

$9.00 an hour is not something you should be looking for unless you have a criminal record and/or horrible interpersonal skills, and i'm guessing that's not the case. Heck even public service work at libraries and what not pay $15 per hour to start don't they? Even so 15 bucks an hour is only, what, 30k a year or so? Forgive me if I'm too lazy to do math.

Rangerzag
10-09-2008, 03:25 AM
I know it is probably not a popular choice, but I will also cheer for Wazzu Football. Is there much of that here?

Other Wazzu football fans have been looking high and low for Wazzu football all year with dismal result.

I try very hard to not hold a person's mental affliction against them.

WELCOME ;)

IowaSERE
10-09-2008, 06:25 AM
On the northernmost city limits, just north of Francis and Maple streets on the northwest side, on top of a hill. It's 12 minutes from I-90 or so.

Anyway, I don't want to burst your bubble, but this is Spokane. Making 80k a year is not difficult after a few years, but given Spokane's cost of living (which is lower than most big cities) i'm not sure a new sales job is going to produce that initially (unless you're an excellent salesman sir!). Making 50k a year here is better than making 70k in Seattle just from a cost of living standpoint, so don't get discouraged.

$9.00 an hour is not something you should be looking for unless you have a criminal record and/or horrible interpersonal skills, and i'm guessing that's not the case. Heck even public service work at libraries and what not pay $15 per hour to start don't they? Even so 15 bucks an hour is only, what, 30k a year or so? Forgive me if I'm too lazy to do math.

I live in Des Moines now which is very similar to Spokane from a cost of living standpoint. I am in my 1st year in the car industry and am on pace to make $90k. I'm just trying to budget and figure $1000 for house, $1700 in child support, $1000 for misc. bills. I need around $4500 take home a month.

I have talked with a manager at Appleway Chevrolet and I can get a job there with no problem. I am interested in Dave Smith as well, but am not crazy about the location. If I live in CDA, then I have a 40 min drive each way to work. OUCH! That is $15 in gas a day.

IowaSERE
10-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Other Wazzu football fans have been looking high and low for Wazzu football all year with dismal result.

I try very hard to not hold a person's mental affliction against them.

WELCOME ;)

What else do you have? UW? They suck too. At least you have the Seahawks! Oh wait......

Outside of GU basketball, there is not a whole lot to get excited about for a sports fan.

krozman
10-09-2008, 08:18 AM
What else do you have? UW? They suck too. At least you have the Seahawks! Oh wait......

Outside of GU basketball, there is not a whole lot to get excited about for a sports fan.

You say that like the Spokane Chiefs didn't just win the Memorial cup....or the continued success of our arena team.

IowaSERE
10-09-2008, 08:21 AM
You say that like the Spokane Chiefs didn't just win the Memorial cup....or the continued success of our arena team.

I stand corrected! I remember watching the Chiefs! Good times.

Didn't know you had an arena team. Cool!

Rangerzag
10-09-2008, 02:40 PM
When I first saw your thread I figured you came on friendly terms.

What in the world would ever have you make the dastardly accusation that I am associated with the miserable Fuskies???

I am struggling to retain politeness here.

At this point I am just going to figure you are truly misguided ;)

:jk: honestly ;)

I am just kidding......................to a point.

Associating me with the Fuskies is indeed a low blow!

lawzag
10-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Iowa -
are you planning on renting or buying?

if renting ... this might help you to scope things out in advance.
if buying ... I have a friend, you might know the name (Errol) ... I can connect you if you need a Realtor.

feel free to pm me.

cougs4ever
10-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Cougar football is still huge in Spokane. This year, there is a new coach who has cleaned house, and installed a new system. It will be a few years before the football team is challenging for bowl games again.

IowaSERE
10-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Iowa -
are you planning on renting or buying?

if renting ... this might help you to scope things out in advance.
if buying ... I have a friend, you might know the name (Errol) ... I can connect you if you need a Realtor.

feel free to pm me.

I'm looking at renting for 6 months to a year until I figure out my job and what kind of income I am looking at. I found a nice townhouse community in Post Falls. I like it ALOT. I'm pretty sure I can get a job at Appleway Chevrolet in the Valley so location wise, Post Falls isn't too far is it?

I must say, I am very impressed with this board and the members. Besides these posts, I have received 4 or 5 emails with advise as well. Once I get in town, let me know where to meet up and I'll buy the 1st round if you want to get together. I feel like i have already made some new friends :wipestearsfromeyes:

krozman
10-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I feel like i have already made some new friends :wipestearsfromeyes:

Don't worry. Over time you'll realize how crazy we really are.

IowaSERE
10-14-2008, 05:19 AM
A quick update....

I should know today if my Jeep is sold. As long as it sells, I will plan on leaving Iowa on this Monday. Stay in Deadwood and get into Spokane late Tues. A buddy of mine is going to ride up with me to help unpack. If anyone is around Wed, let me know! Free beer and pizza.

Thanks to some on this board, I have been in contact with a few companies that recruit SERE instructors and am looking into getting back in Survival. That really would be my dream job and thanks again to those that helped.

I am still looking for a place, and am getting a little nervous about that. I found a nice place in Post Falls. Is there any social life there? I imagine it is more of a commuter town. How far would that be from FAFB if I get a job at the base?

krozman
10-14-2008, 07:59 AM
How far would that be from FAFB if I get a job at the base?

Well, it's about 20 miles on I-90 followed by about 5 miles to get to the base. Alltogether not difficult, but you really are choosing opposite corners of the Spokane area universe. 40 min? commute.

IowaSERE
10-14-2008, 12:39 PM
I will not find out about the SERE job for a few weeks. I thing that in order to cover my bases, I am going to find a place on the South Hill. That way I should not be more than 15-20 minutes from the Valley or the base right?

LongIslandZagFan
10-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Post Falls has grown a lot. I don't know about the social life aspect, though. It still kinda seems to be one of those "strip towns" with lots of strip malls built along I-90. There are a couple of really fabulous restaurants there, but I don't know of anyone who goes there for the night life. You'd probably end up driving into Spokane or Cd'A. Consider the tax issue, too. If I remember, Idaho taxes your income (like IRS does), but WA doesn't. The drive to FAFB from Post Falls won't be fun if you have to travel during the rush hour times -- you'll have to go through the valley (traffic sucks) and downtown (again, traffic sucks).

Sorry, but "traffic" in Spokane isn't what I would call traffic. Try taking 1.5 hours to go a mere 17 miles... the same trip with no traffic at all is 25 minutes. NYC metro area residents, along with LA residents (whom I think might actually have it worse) have earned the right to determine what real traffic is.:D

MedZag
10-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Have to say, even though I am disconnected from the Spokane area at the moment and have nothing meaningful to contribute to the thread, that it's really quite something that a total "stranger" can come on this board and receive such heartwarming, insightful, and personal advice.

IowaSERE
10-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Have to say, even though I am disconnected from the Spokane area at the moment and have nothing meaningful to contribute to the thread, that it's really quite something that a total "stranger" can come on this board and receive such heartwarming, insightful, and personal advice.

I totally agree. I have received 4 PM's and 4 or 5 emails as well in addition to the board posts.

I'll be in town Wed. Let me know when and where and I'll buy a few pitchers to get to know some of you.