PDA

View Full Version : Ira is 6' 4"

BilboZaggins
10-01-2008, 05:24 PM
He's NOT a 4.

He's tough. Can leap out of the gym. Even has an exclamation point in his name.

But he's not an adequate replacement in the paint for Sacre.

And, no, a Charles Barkely reference won't convince me otherwise.

Josh can't play 40 min. Foster isn't ready (maybe I'll be proved wrong). Poling needs to redshirt.

We're so good everywhere else we'll still be very good, but we're hurtin' with the bigs.

HOOTER
10-01-2008, 06:00 PM
I can see your rep has taken a beating, maybe for these comments, but I think your being realistic and I appreciate that. As I stated in another thread, Gonzaga's frontcourt may be missing a key component that it will badly need to compete against teams like Tennessee, Uconn, Memphis, etc. I'm going to remain optimistic that Heytvelt will return to his aggressive and deadly accurate style of play and that Sacre will recover extremely quickly, but there's no guarantee that these things will happen and I'm not sure who will be able to pick up the slack. I know everything will work out, I'd just like to see the Zags play to their potential this year and dominate and having healthy and affective bigs is an important part of the equation.

NorthWestZag
10-01-2008, 06:53 PM
He can play some 4. But some on this board might be suggesting he plays 5.

Personally I think Big Will or Poling can backup Josh, but Josh should be playing about 30 minutes. Even if Sacre was available.

BilboZaggins
10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
I love Ira and can't wait to watch him play, I'm just worried about our depth at the 4 and 5.

TheBunnieRancher
10-01-2008, 07:38 PM
:confused:
Give the boy...man a chance. I remember a game against Santa Clara last year where he physically moved 'Big Country' Bryant out of position better than any other Zag on the team. He did an excellent job of making Bryant really uncomfortable for a couple of minutes while he was on defense. Ira! doesn't need to do that 10-15 minutes a game. But, if he can contribute 2-3 minutes of that with his strenght and good positioning and footwork a half and then Will can use his length to make everyone uncomfortable for another 2-3 minutes a half, then that will take a lot of pressure off of Josh and Austin while Sacre recovers. Ira! can use his strength, good positioning and great leaping ability to great use for short use at the right times and maybe surprise a few people as a "5".

MickMick
10-01-2008, 09:00 PM
If Rob showed me more last season, I would have a great deal more concern.

He needed a lot of work. Because of that, using Will or Ira more often isn't nearly the drop off that some may suggest.

BroncoZAG615
10-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Rob was outstanding during the summer...by far one of the most improved players on the team.

I didn't think he was that far away, in fact I thought that most of his problems came from being a 19 year old freshman who is still adapting to a new setting,scheme,team etc. Developing soft hands can happen over a summer and that is really what Rob needed. Working with the coaches to perfect his hook shot (which was outstanding this summer) can be done over a summer.

It's going to be a drop off.

Mick, can I ask what you expected from the 19 year old, 7 foot freshman?

MickMick
10-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I didn't see Rob in the summer. I saw him in games last year.

If it were not for Love, Rose, or Beasley....I would buy into the freshmen argument. Rob needed work. I don't know how much he improved over the summer. Hopefully, Will improved over the summer as well.

BroncoZAG615
10-01-2008, 09:15 PM
If it were not for Love, Rose, or Beasley....I would buy into the freshmen argument.

Setting expectations a litttttle bit high perhaps?

Everything we heard about Rob coming to Gonzaga was that he was raw. Strong but extremely raw. Getting a body that can play in the NCAA is one of the hardest things for a high school kid to do and Rob has that. Now all he has to do is take care of some the fundamentals, something I hope our coaches can teach him.

MontanaZag
10-02-2008, 03:28 AM
If Rob showed me more last season, I would have a great deal more concern.

He needed a lot of work. Because of that, using Will or Ira more often isn't nearly the drop off that some may suggest.

Agree, the "leap" needed out of Sacre was large. Hes too slow with the ball, our team could be better without him

MickMick
10-02-2008, 04:27 AM
Less of a knock on Rob and more of a vote of confidence for the other guys.

zagfan07
10-02-2008, 07:27 AM
If Rob is back in 6 - 8 weeks, like it has been said on this board, then he would be back around Nov 15 - Nov 30. If he gets back by the 27th, which is the first round game of the Old Spice Classic, here's the teams we have to play before then without him:

Nov. 1 - Wayne State

Nov 15 - Montana State University - Billings

Nov 18 - University of Idaho

No disrespect to these schools, but I think the Zags have enough talent to bury these teams without Rob coming in to spell Josh and Austin for 10-15 minutes a game. If anything else, it will help Andy and Big Will get some valuable minutes with the team. Ira! is going to play some increased minutes this year regardless of what position he plays, so this may benefit him as well in the long run.

Let's not panic just yet. We just need Rob to heal quickly and not come back too early, like what happened with Josh last year.

cggonzaga
10-02-2008, 07:46 AM

Couldn't disagree more. There is a huge dropoff from Sacre to Foster and while Ira is strong and athletic he can't make up the 7" he's giving up to opposing players. Sacre was our only other true "big" (not name Heytvelt)that we were going to be able to count on this year. We didn't need Sacre to be a star this season. We needed him to spell Josh and Austin and play great defense and rebound. Foster REALLY needs to step up now if he's ever going to be a player. This is a huge opportunity for him. Hopefully Sacre recovers quickly and proves he's a vital part of this team.

CDC84
10-02-2008, 07:58 AM
One of the other problems with Sacre's injury is that it virtually guarantees that we are going to be seeing the 3 guard attack....a lineup that some of us loathe. Downs and Daye are going to have to play more minutes at the 4 than they would if Sacre were healthy. Especially Daye, who GU really needs at the 3. The kid needs to be playing 30+ MPG for Gonzaga to be the best team it can be, and I worry about that happening if he's playing the 4.

BobZag
10-02-2008, 08:36 AM
I heard the plan is to play Ira! at the 4 this season, but by no means does that make up for a true center / 7-footer who was showing marked improvement. Ira! will basically do what Pendo did.

I'm not a believer in Foster. Sorry, it's just how I see things and merely my opinion. Calum MacLeod was more skilled.

If the healing and rehab time is listed at 6-8 weeks, I'd err on the side of something closer to 8-10 weeks. I guess old age has made me more cautious.

Jakester425
10-02-2008, 12:14 PM
He can play some 4. But some on this board might be suggesting he plays 5.

Personally I think Big Will or Poling can backup Josh, but Josh should be playing about 30 minutes. Even if Sacre was available.

I really dont see Will Foster making any impact on the offensive end this year or in the immediate future. Am I the only one that cringes everytime he gets the ball? The only thing he has going for him is his heighth which allows him to block shots.

SteelCityZag
10-02-2008, 12:31 PM
If Foster is able to contribute, offense won't be his primary role. While he's on the floor, we'll likely see at least three of these to go with him: Austin, Steven, Micah, Jeremy, Josh, and Matt. There will be plenty of scorers. Big Will will do what he does best, change shots, block shots, get rebounds, and spell Josh. If he can drop in a few points to keep defenses honest, then bonus. After all, we weren't going to rely heavily on Rob for scoring, either. One of the reasons the Zags beat Uconn was becuase of Rob's all around play.

As for Ira. I think he will surprise people. He's got every bit of toughness as Pendo, perhaps more strength, and a nose for the ball. If his shot has developed, watch out.

Again, I'm not advocating that Josh at the 5 and Ira at the 4 is a better scenario than Rob at the 5 and Josh at the 4. But I still believe he will surpise people.

BroncoZAG615
10-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Ira is going to contribute.

Remember last year how all the coaches said he was going to be our key bench player and everyone thought he would be the stud? Well the offense didn't click and that happens. After a summer, Ira should be totally familiar with the offense. He's got the tools and I really think he's going to put it all together.

CDC84
10-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Thank goodness there are people making the big bucks to make these decisions. I am sure the coaching staff is going to do whatever they can to put the team in the best position to win games while Rob is out.

JohnOGU
10-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Ira could very possibly be the strongest guy in college basketball. He'll be fine at the 4.

Also, i've heard of very positive improvements about big Will. from very reliable sources. we'll be fine.

CDC84
10-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Something to keep in mind....Joey Dorsey was one of the top shot blockers and rebounders in the nation last year. He measured at 6-6 at the NBA predraft camp. He shut down Kevin Love and several elite post players last season. And he was Memphis' center - not its power forward.

Look, Ira isn't Joe Dorsey, and he isn't going to be able to play the 4 for extended minutes, but it's not as if every team in college basketball has a 6-9 power forward with enormous athleticism coming off its bench. College basketball is littered with point forwards who are no more 2 or 3 inches taller than Ira. And many of the 6-9 guys coming off the pine couldn't put the ball in bucket unless they are within 2 feet of the basket. A guy like Ira with his strength, athleticism, aggressiveness and footwork can push a guy away from his comfort zone and force him to take shots he doesn't want to. The other thing that Ira brings is 5 fouls...and many big men in college basketball can't shoot free throws.

All I'm saying is that it's not preposterous to suggest that Ira could play the
4 in certain circumstances. Does that make him the ideal guy to take up Sacre's minutes? No. Does that mean Gonzaga can play him at the 4 for extended minutes? No. But I guarantee there will be some guys that GU faces that Ira has more than a prayer of handling. The idea here is just to eat up some minutes so that guys like Heytvelt, Daye and Downs can get a breather.

ZagNut08
10-02-2008, 02:11 PM
I heard the plan is to play Ira! at the 4 this season, but by no means does that make up for a true center / 7-footer who was showing marked improvement. Ira! will basically do what Pendo did.

I'm not a believer in Foster. Sorry, it's just how I see things and merely my opinion. Calum MacLeod was more skilled.

If the healing and rehab time is listed at 6-8 weeks, I'd err on the side of something closer to 8-10 weeks. I guess old age has made me more cautious.

Ouch

At least foster hasn't gotten a hook shot stuck between the rim and backboard yet...

Nevtelen
10-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Something to keep in mind....Joey Dorsey was one of the top shot blockers and rebounders in the nation last year. He measured at 6-6 at the NBA predraft camp. He shut down Kevin Love and several elite post players last season. And he was Memphis' center - not its power forward.

Look, Ira isn't Joe Dorsey, and he isn't going to be able to play the 4 for extended minutes, but it's not as if every team in college basketball has a 6-9 power forward with enormous athleticism coming off its bench. College basketball is littered with point forwards who are no more 2 or 3 inches taller than Ira. And many of the 6-9 guys coming off the pine couldn't put the ball in bucket unless they are within 2 feet of the basket. A guy like Ira with his strength, athleticism, aggressiveness and footwork can push a guy away from his comfort zone and force him to take shots he doesn't want to. The other thing that Ira brings is 5 fouls...and many big men in college basketball can't shoot free throws.

All I'm saying is that it's not preposterous to suggest that Ira could play the
4 in certain circumstances. Does that make him the ideal guy to take up Sacre's minutes? No. Does that mean Gonzaga can play him at the 4 for extended minutes? No. But I guarantee there will be some guys that GU faces that Ira has more than a prayer of handling. The idea here is just to eat up some minutes so that guys like Heytvelt, Daye and Downs can get a breather.

Against teams that aren't particularly strong down low - either from a talent or strength/height perspective - I'm sure Ira will be serviceable as a 4. Say, vs Maryland he'd be fine (and probably against OSU, though I'm not familar with their front line). It's the UConn's and Utah's of the world that will make him struggle.