PDA

View Full Version : Sacre is wearing a boot.

jbslicer
10-01-2008, 11:51 AM
That is what my daughter saw.
BobZag, what's the story?

BroncoZAG615
10-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Hmm really?

When did she see him? I saw him yesterday and he was just fine.

meadgrad02
10-01-2008, 12:10 PM
I work at a certain bone imaging center and saw him come in. That's really all I'm legally allowed to say. I know what exam was done and what they were looking for, but I could get fired if I say more.

Nevtelen
10-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh crap. That could be REALLLY bad... Please someone tell me this isn't another preseason injury. :(

Rubbadub
10-01-2008, 12:26 PM
I've been somewhat surprised by the lack of stress fractures this offseason...

zagfan08
10-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Yes he is wearing a boot, I believe it was his right foot. I'll know more by Friday but I'm sure BZ or someone will get info before then.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-01-2008, 02:28 PM
*** Fingers crossed ***

BobZag
10-01-2008, 03:05 PM
He broke a bone in his foot.

I know nothing more than that.

Gonezagaga
10-01-2008, 03:37 PM
@!@#$$@@#$$#^$%$%^&$##!@#

RenoZag
10-01-2008, 03:43 PM
He broke a bone in his foot.

I know nothing more than that.

We all wish him a sound recovery.

gufan3434
10-01-2008, 03:50 PM
stress fracture
6-8 weeks
plus rehab

ssorvszag
10-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Are we cursed? We seem more often than not to have injuries in key spots that will take us to the next level. Depth at a big this year? Dower and or Andy will probably not redshirt. Sounds too familiar. I hope they are ready to step up. :confused:

zagster318
10-01-2008, 03:58 PM
stress fracture
6-8 weeks
plus rehab

Well, that didn't take long. Few should make each player drink a gallon of milk a day, since everyone on that team apparently has week bones. :(

ssorvszag
10-01-2008, 03:59 PM
stress fracture
6-8 weeks
plus rehab

isn't that what they said about Josh?:confused:

Once and Future Zag
10-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Are we cursed? We seem more often than not to have injuries in key spots that will take us to the next level. Depth at a big this year? Dower and or Andy will probably not redshirt. Sounds too familiar. I hope they are ready to step up. :confused:

Dower's not here this season anyways :-)

D Hark 2003
10-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Sucks that he broke his foot, but 6-8 weeks isnt that bad, he'll be back and in the mean time get the younger bucks some run it will pay off

MBZags
10-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Sure wish we still had Kuso, but hopefully Foster, Poling, Downs, and Brown can all step up in his absence.

hondo46
10-01-2008, 04:40 PM
They're Back !!!!!

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:y7N55uNr5f-1wM:http://poltergeistiii.com/myPictures/P2poster.jpg

theothegreat21
10-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Two thoughts

1) Every team has injuries, trust me this is not some curse to GU. I don think UCLA fans were thinking they were cursed when Collison was hurt last year, or Kenutcky fans when Patrick Patterson was hurt. Injuries happen.

2) This gives Ira and Will a great opportunity. If one or both of these guys can prove themselves and contribute at a steady level, it makes our big man rotation much deeper. By WCC play, we could go 5 deep at post with Heytvelt, Sacre, Daye, Foster, and Brown. That would be huge come NCAA Tournament time

Grad Zag
10-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Wow this sucks. Can we stay healthy for one year? I sure hope Poling is ready to step up. We might have to go with a little less muscle at this position. Someone like Micah, Foster, or Daye. If he really has a stress fracture this will more than likely lead into December and by then he won't be 100%. One good thing is that we will find out right away who can step up and help us out.

OZZag
10-01-2008, 05:28 PM
stress fracture
6-8 weeks
plus rehab

Dang it all! :(

We need Rob to be able to play 15 minutes+ to give Josh and Daye a rest. We need him to be a beast on the boards and own the basket area, I am concerned that when he gets back he will play too tentatively concerned about hurting himself again.

Any word on how it was done??

HOOTER
10-01-2008, 05:45 PM
2) This gives Ira and Will a great opportunity. If one or both of these guys can prove themselves and contribute at a steady level, it makes our big man rotation much deeper. By WCC play, we could go 5 deep at post with Heytvelt, Sacre, Daye, Foster, and Brown. That would be huge come NCAA Tournament time

I appreciate your optimism, and your absolute right about the potential long term benefits, but our frontcourt is somewhat questionable even with Sacre. No one has a clue which Heytvelt will be playing this year (although I'm optimistic it will be the "North Carolina" Josh), Foster will probably never play significant minutes, Daye is not strong in the paint, and brown is what, 6'4" tall? Plus it's unlikely that Poling will have a significant impact right away, if he doesn't redshirt. Sacre is not ready to be Gonzaga's go-to big yet, but he will be someday and missing minutes against premier competition, not to mention the possible long term physical and mental affects an injury like this can cause, Is not a good thing for Rob or the team no matter how you spin it. I apologize if I'm sounding pessimistic, I'm just rooting for Sacre to succeed at Gonzaga and this news bums me out a bit.

Scotto
10-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Not going to say much on the subject other than this is Rob's first injury since he was 14 and fractured a wrist dunking. So I expect him to heal quickly and be hungry and ready when time comes to step back on the floor.

75Zag
10-01-2008, 06:06 PM
It seems a bit early to be heading for the lifeboats just yet, although this is clearly bad news.

It would be a double hit if Poling is forced to bypass the opportunity to redshirt, as he really needs another year of skill building and physical development it in order to be a meaningful contributor at the D1 level.

Looks like another exciting and unpredictable season.

Nevtelen
10-01-2008, 08:21 PM
The more I think about this, the worse it is. Honestly, this could really prove disasterous. Every single team is going to go right at Josh and get him into foul trouble. And they'll try to tire him out. And what happens then? Id on't buy Ira in the frontcourt - strong he may be, but he's not Charles Barkley. There are 0 reliable options up front besides Josh unless Foster has just been pulling the wool over our eyes all this time. Sacre was a very very important lynch-pin in this team this year. I agree with MDABE - where's the rebounding going to come from? Even on his best days, Josh was never a hard-nosed rebounder. Sacre showed himself to be a real physical beast up front, even if he had issues at times.

Plus, yes, everyone says 6-8 weeks, but, honestly, I'll believe it when it see it. At least it happened now and not in Nov, I guess.

gufan3434
10-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Foster will probably never play significant minutes
if your wrong can i punch you in the face?!
HAHAHAHA!

ZagNative
10-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Apologies if this from Meehan' blog (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=8407) has already been posted, but I think I'm rummy:

A couple of GU-related items to pass along.

First, Bulldogs center Robert Sacre is now on the injury list. Click below for details on Sacre's foot injury and pending foot surgery.

Also, ex-Zag Dan Dickau is back in the NBA. He's reportedly landed with the Golden State Warriors. I hope to chat with Dan tonight and will post more when information becomes available.

Gonzaga University sophomore center Robert Sacre is scheduled for surgery today to repair what associate head coach Leon Rice said is an “incomplete fracture” in his foot.

Sacre, a 7-footer from North Vancouver, B.C., started 10 games and appeared in 29 as a true freshman last season. He averaged 2.8 points and 1.8 rebounds.

Rice wasn’t familiar with all the details of the injury, but he said it’s apparently from wear and tear and not a specific incident on the court. It won’t be known how long Sacre will be sidelined until he undergoes surgery.

An incomplete fracture is generally described as when the bone cracks but does not break all the way through, according to webmd.com.

Rice said Sacre’s injury is probably more comparable to one sustained by Bulldogs forward Micah Downs in 2006 than Josh Heytvelt’s foot/ankle problems from last season. Downs had foot surgery in November, 2006, to have a stress fracture pinned and returned to the court in mid January.

cjm720
10-02-2008, 06:06 AM
Worst case, right now, he's back by early December. Plenty of time...heal quickly Rob.

I've thought all along that Poling might not redshirt...

GO ZAGS!

hockeyzag
10-02-2008, 06:13 AM
This thread needs a little MedZag

ZagNut08
10-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Lets hope Josh is truly healed up and ready to play. Another injury to him and we are very thin in the frontcourt

zagfan07
10-02-2008, 07:16 AM
6 - 8 weeks puts him back right around the Old Spice Classic tournament. Baptism by fire for big Rob. From what it sounded like, he had been making great progress this off season so it's too bad he won't be able to practice with the team during the preseason. However, it's more important that he allows himself to heal completely before he tries to come back. I think that hurt Josh a little last year and is the reason why he seemed tentative when he returned from the injury.

CDC84
10-02-2008, 07:51 AM
I cannot think of many programs the last 3-4 years who have had to endure more injury issues than Gonzaga....especially at the start of the season. I'm not going to say that the program is cursed, but man, it sure feels like it.

HOOTER
10-02-2008, 07:08 PM
if your wrong can i punch you in the face?!
HAHAHAHA!

Sure, but that won't happen. I'm sorry but I don't have much confidence in Foster. He's somewhat clumsy and uncoordinated and unless something miraculous happened this summer I'm going to assume that's still the case. He'll do fine against teams like USC Upstate and Texas Southern but he doesn't belong on the court against the Uconn's and Tennessee's of the world.

FuManShoes
10-06-2008, 11:42 AM
This sucks. I wish I shared the optimism of those who think the Zags can just plug this huge hole with guys like 6'4" Ira Brown. Fact is, the Zags' biggest question mark was at center with Sacre, and now they don't even have him till December at the earliest. (My hunch is a big man like him will be out even longer). He needed reps in the post and now he won't even get those. It's bad, bad news and the Zags will need to get creative and play smallish -- Pargo, Gray, Daye, Downs/Brown and Heyt -- to win, I think. Do they throw Big Will out there? I suppose he can block shots but anything more is dreaming.

thespywhozaggedme
10-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Away from the computer for 5 days and this is the 1st thing I see. UGGHHH!!!:(

Oh well, adversity can make a team stronger.

Reborn
10-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Same old negativity amongst some of the fan base as soon as there is an injury! Someone said it correctly.,,Injuries happen to almost all teams and are certainly common amongst Zags. The Zags, as do all teams, will adjust and we will be just fine. No need to panic here. I think some of you have been unrealistic about the contributions that Rob can make this year. He is still a role player this year. Someone else will step in and consume his minutes. I for one, am glad that Ira seems to be on board now. This may be a great chance for him, and I also believe that Will Foster will be a good back up for limited minutes. Oh Yes. Incase you have forgotten GU plays small ball very very well.

Good luck Rob, and I hope you have a very successful recovery. We will all miss you, and look forward to your return. Until then. We're okay. Have some confidence fans.

MedZag
10-06-2008, 11:15 PM
This thread needs a little MedZag

Not enough info for me to contribute positively unfortunately. Don't know if its a stress fracture, trauma fracture, acute, or chronic. Don't know what his surgery entailed, where he had it done, etc.

With more info I may be able to help.

JohnOGU
10-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Injuries to anyone are terrible, but honestly i think this injury may be a blessing in disguise for the team. We'll still have a solid rotation, but without Sacre, we will have tons of speed. In which case we can create a lot of mayhem on the court.

Not to mention it'll add some depth for us. Once Sacre returns to game-shape, we'll have even more.

Just my opinion though.

Birddog
10-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Sacre is wearing a boot.

It's probably a Sorel.

http://images.usoutdoorstore.com/usoutdoorstore/products/full/sorel_caribou_buff_08.jpg

deathchina
10-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Ummm......we should be fine without Rob for a couple games. To put things in perspective..he averaged 3 points and 2 rebounds last season.

GoZags
10-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Ummm......we should be fine without Rob for a couple games. To put things in perspective..he averaged 3 points and 2 rebounds last season.

Ummm, roughly the same as Cory Violette's freshman year (+/- 1).

I think the Zags needed Cory's 13.2 ppg and 8.3 rpg his sophomore year.... and I think this year's Zags would be in much better shape with a healthy Rob Sacre.

Hopefully the big guy will heal quickly and completely, and will be able to contribute this year.

Rangerzag
10-08-2008, 07:07 PM

In general I agree with GoZags.

In particular we should be fine without Rob for a couple of games because the first two are Montana State-Billings and Idaho ;)

deathchina
10-08-2008, 07:41 PM
"Ummm, roughly the same as Cory Violette's freshman year (+/- 1).

I think the Zags needed Cory's 13.2 ppg and 8.3 rpg his sophomore year.... "

Well, I feel MUCH better about our frontcourt depth now that i know we can expect a near double/double from Rob!

=)

GoZags
10-08-2008, 07:56 PM
"Ummm, roughly the same as Cory Violette's freshman year (+/- 1).

I think the Zags needed Cory's 13.2 ppg and 8.3 rpg his sophomore year.... "

Well, I feel MUCH better about our frontcourt depth now that i know we can expect a near double/double from Rob!

=)

I doubt this year's Zags will need a near double/double from Sacre (even if he were healthy). They may not even need a Casey like jump (from similar freshman numbers to 9.4 ppg and 6.9 rpb as a soph), or Adam like jump, or Jeremy like jump, or Derek like jump.

But I'm of the opinion that a healthy Rob would (will?) help the Zags this coming season.

deathchina
10-09-2008, 06:36 AM
"But I'm of the opinion that a healthy Rob would (will?) help the Zags this coming season."

I agree. We definitely saw flashes last season (uconn!).

CDC84
10-09-2008, 07:28 AM
The area of concern I have for Rob is when he comes back, will he be able to trust his foot? Will he have the same kind of lift? This is already a guy who doesn't possess the world's greatest vertical (although he's very athletic in other ways for a 7 footer: running the floor, moving his feet on defense), and who saw a lot his shots get rejected last season. Then again, many of his shots were rejected due to poor habits that he developed, like putting the ball on the floor instead of immediately going up strong with it...things that I would think the coaching staff has tried to correct.