PDA

View Full Version : Poor Class by Lute Olson

theothegreat21
09-30-2008, 12:03 PM
According to Scouts Inc.

- Lute Olson pulled the offer to Reger Dowell, less then a month after Dowell had verbally committed to Arizona.

- This makes me very proud of the way Mark Few and the staff have run this program, and how honest of a group of coaches we have.

Quotes from Dowel's father

"I think Arizona made a strict business decision without regard for the people involved," Dale Dowell said. "But I thought in this business when an offer is given to a kid they would respect the offer. We have to deal with that. Reger understands. He's a serious kid. People say what they want to get what they want."

"We had a couple of conversations where they assured us it was solid," Dowell continued. "They made a home visit (to us), and we broke bread, had a good productive meeting and a week later, I get a call and was told that Lute Olson, not (assistant coach) Russ Pennell, wanted to go in a different direction. He felt he had too many guards and not enough bigs."

ZagNative
09-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Gosh, it just gets stranger an stranger down Arizona way ... Anybody keeping track of Lute's meds?

Coug Tracks
09-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Dowel was plan B. When Gaddy came through again they decided they needed to focus on bigs. I hate it when things like this happen but Lute isn't the first coach to pull an offer.

StocktonIsMyHero
09-30-2008, 12:55 PM
I see where you are coming from Theo, but... honestly... I say it's better Lute told him now with plenty of time left in the recruiting game rather than stringing him along till the end or (even worse) having him come and then never playing him and eventually pulling his scholarship.

I really don't see this as a sign of "poor class" by Lute. The way I look at it, if a kid can change a verbal before signing an LOI, the school also has a bit of flexibility with that as well. I mean... we all know that schools offer way more kids than they have actual scholarships available. Just ask this... would you rather be in Reger Dowell's situation, where he still can go play at several schools, or in David Burgess's situation, unable to play at the D1 level after transfering in and having a scholarship pulled? I think that's a fair question to ask.

MJGoGaels
09-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Pulling an offer versus first to commit gets the NLI and the others lose out. Kid sat on the offer didn't accept right away takes the risk that the offer may not stand because someone else accepted first. Playing the field or one offer against another takes their chances. Multiple players recruited for one position - lets not be naive. The offer is conditional by its nature and is verbal. Probably lots of misunderstanding on the part of parent and student is my slant. We rarely hear about the coach belly ache about kid who backs out on his verbal to go sign somewhere else.

Rubbadub
09-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Some posters to this site have the oddest moral positions when it comes to basketball recruiting.

cair3
09-30-2008, 02:05 PM
It's hard to know if there is something else going on. I just hold back judgment unless I am on the inside and know both sides of the story.

Although I will say in terms of prestige Arizona is definitely sliding. I think the Pac 10 will be weak this year, almost all the teams got worse from last march until now. Too many graduates or deflections to the NBA. I would bet that St. Marys and Gonzaga would both finish in the top half of the PAC 10 (a meaningless statement since it could never be proven but...) Only UCLA and the Arizona schools look scary... UCLA is at Gonzaga's level and St Mary's is at the Arizona schools level.

StocktonIsMyHero
09-30-2008, 02:13 PM
It's hard to know if there is something else going on. I just hold back judgment unless I am on the inside and know both sides of the story... UCLA is at Gonzaga's level and St Mary's is at the Arizona schools level.

Cair3: The first part of your post is one of the most refreshing things I've seen on this board in a while. Wish more people would have that take.

The second part though... until Gonzaga goes to three Final Fours in a row (and counting) like UCLA or St. Mary's makes the tournament for, what, 20 straight years like Arizona, I don't think you can quite saw that they are on their levels. Not to mention both schools have won titles within the past 10-15 years. Now, I get that you mean if they played next year you think GU and SMC would have a chance to win, but still...

Anyway, I'm glad to see that some other people on here agree with me about this, despite the nastiness of a few rep comments.

Zaggernaught
09-30-2008, 05:03 PM
I was reading different team sites on scout.com earlier this past year and actually had looked at Arizona and who they were going after. I not kidding that they had an offer out to almost every person on a very long list. I think it cheapens an Arizona offer knowing that they have offered multiple players the same scholarship. It also pulls them off the market if they agree to a verbal, but then when it falls through what is the player left with. Another team they might have been interested in probably went a different way to fill their roster spots. I just think its wrong, and should be mediated that they can only offer scholarships if they have some to offer. Meaning if they have 3 scholarships, they offer only three. Not every player on the list!

bullzag23
10-02-2008, 08:18 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread on this, so I figured I'd post this here. It seems ESPN writers are souring on Olson as well:

O'Neill not to blame for Zona's season

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 | Print Entry

Back to "Arizona basketball?"
I have heard and read head coach Lute Olson and several Wildcat players say that U of A will get back to playing "Arizona basketball" this season, pointing to a more uptempo, motion-based system.

The complaints about last season's set plays and half-court execution are not-so-subtle shots at former head coach designate Kevin O'Neill, and they are inappropriate and wrong. I don't mean to parse words, but the 2008 Cats played nothing but "Arizona basketball," and the architect responsible for the 19-15 record was Lute Olson and Lute Olson alone. It was Olson that recruited every single player on that roster. It was Olson that hired O'Neill after the 2007 season to make "Arizona basketball" tougher and more defensive-minded. It was Olson that took a leave of absence and stepped away for the remainder of the season, and it was Olson that handed the team to O'Neill. In short, it was Olson that created the situation that O'Neill and his team had to play their way out of last year. That was "Arizona basketball," and Olson needs to take responsibility for it and stop blaming O'Neill and allowing the players to do the same.

In 2008, Arizona was shorthanded, injured, and battling the rumors and uncertainty surrounding Olson's departure and still made the NCAA tournament despite a brutal schedule. Like him or not, O'Neill did a good job last season under difficult circumstances, and so did the players. Remember, Arizona was just 20-11 in 2006-07 with a bunch of seniors, Marcus Williams and Chase Budinger. And, those Wildcats had Olson. That year, the Wildcats were routed by North Carolina at home in the McKale Center, swept by UCLA, USC and Washington State, and crushed by Purdue in the first round of the NCAA tournament. It defies logic to suggest 2007 was "Arizona basketball," but the 2008 season, with all of the turmoil surrounding Olson's situation, somehow wasn't. Look, everyone is pleased to have Lute Olson back in the big chair in Tucson, but laying the blame for a less than satisfying 2008 season at the feet of O'Neill is simply wrong.

Mr Vulture
10-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Chase is still there this year...in fact, I think he may be a Junior this year but even if he is a Senior this year...he surely wasn't 2 seasons ago.

krozman
10-03-2008, 12:42 PM
If there is a year that Arizona doesn't get to the NCAA tournament, it will be this year. This is significant because only ....3 ? teams are ahead of us in consequtive tournaments made.