PDA

View Full Version : #10 GU vs #7 Indiana, Thursday in Sacramento

thespywhozaggedme
03-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Discuss:

sanfranzagsguy20
03-11-2007, 02:20 PM
looks like 2006 all over again gonzaga-indiana...a win pits us against ucla...

DrDrivel
03-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Third year in a row that GU is seeded in the same region as UCLA. As a lifelong diehard Bruin and long-term GU Bulldog, the mental anguish is getting very taxing.

GaelBaller
03-11-2007, 02:23 PM
What time is the game on Thursday? If it is in the evening, I might go out of my way to come out and watch.

Crusader Rick
03-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Sean "Lunchpail" Mallon just got very happy.

ruwong
03-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Do we get Ammo back?

mcdiehard
03-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Game times TBD.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-11-2007, 02:26 PM
its the thursday-saturday matchup...not sure of times yet....so we have revenge on our minds if we iu...but anyone remember who beat last year to play ucla? think they've got revenge on their minds? you better believe it...personally i dont like this draw except the seed and location

DrDrivel
03-11-2007, 02:29 PM
its the thursday-saturday matchup...not sure of times yet....so we have revenge on our minds if we iu...but anyone remember who beat last year to play ucla? think they've got revenge on their minds? you better believe it...personally i dont like this draw except the seed and location

I think Indiana has an entirely new identity. They've expelled their coach and many of the players have turned over. I think the program is in the process of being reborn and they've made an effort to expunge the memory of the past 6 years, so I don't feel revenge will be a noteworthy factor.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-11-2007, 02:32 PM
I think Indiana has an entirely new identity. They've expelled their coach and many of the players have turned over. I think the program is in the process of being reborn and they've made an effort to expunge the memory of the past 6 years, so I don't feel revenge will be a noteworthy factor.

i see...so white, ratliff, wilmont and calloway...4 of indiana's top 5 scorers dont remember last season? what you said above is somewhat true...but you cant tell me these guys arent foaming at the mouth for another shot at gu

DrDrivel
03-11-2007, 02:35 PM
i see...so white, ratliff, wilmont and calloway...4 of indiana's top 5 scorers dont remember last season? what you said above is somewhat true...but you cant tell me these guys arent foaming at the mouth for another shot at gu

I would understand this whole position a lot more if Indiana had been a favorite in that game, a higher seed, or had even held a solid lead throughout the game only to let it slip away in the final seconds. That's a revenge scenario. But they weren't expected to win that game. They went exactly as far as they were supposed to go. There wasn't bad blood. There weren't ugly elbows thrown - no bloodied lips. And I think that, combined with the turnover in coaching staff and the myriad distractions both programs have endured over the last 11 months, we probably aren't looking at a revenge situation.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Anytime you get a chance to compete against a team that knocked you out of the tourney the previous year, revenge is factor......new coach, new year, seeding, blah blah blah....the players from IU are sure to be eager for the opportunity to face the Zags again; just as the Zags would love to compete against UCLA in the 2nd round. Of all the teams we could have drawn, Indiana doesn't scare me any more then some others would.....the Zags will have to beat good teams to keep dancing no matter what.

thespywhozaggedme
03-11-2007, 02:46 PM
anyone know their most popular board? Link?

mcdiehard
03-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Kelvin Sampson finally has to deal with Gonzaga. Good riddance.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-11-2007, 02:50 PM
anyone know their most popular board? Link?

:link: http://indiana.rivals.com/forum.asp?fid=726

I've been following them quite a bit this year--I'll post a scouting report later tonight--for now, though, I'll just say it's absolutely a winnable game for GU.

RenoZag
03-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Of all the teams we could have drawn, Indiana doesn't scare me any more then some others would.....the Zags will have to beat good teams to keep dancing no matter what.

Ditto. I'll think about a UCLA re-match only IF they boys beat the Hoosiers. . .

sanfranzagsguy20
03-11-2007, 02:52 PM
i agree...indiana has losses against butler, duke, kentucky and ohio state in conference and have only two notable wins: wisconsin at home and michigan state at home and a win against southern illinois early in the year...weak ooc slate imo...not a good road team but they have a great following and good coaching to go along with solid, solid players....it will be SO tough not to look ahead to ucla but i think we will travel well here

zagmantis2001
03-11-2007, 02:54 PM
After years of dodging GU, Kelvin Sampson has karma bite him right on the A$$.

wazZag
03-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Can't wait to play IU, but I still have knots in my stomach over yUCLA from last year.

zagzilla
03-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I guess the committee did reward the Zags for doing the right things and scheduling agressively. Probably why we are a 10 see vs a 12. I'd rather be playing Indiana than say Maryland. Also getting to play on the west coast is a plus. That's the good news.

The bad newsis UCLA. I think they are better than they were last year and we are not. Very tough matchup in california.

I'll be happy of we win one. Unfortunately I am in Japan and will miss all the Thursday games. Wish they had gotten a Friday opener.

Go Zags!

zag944
03-11-2007, 03:07 PM
beat Indiana and we play UCLA, sounds familar

Hopefully we can be 100% set on IU, without getting revenge against UCLA being on our mind until the time comes.

They gotta be having nightmares about Sean Mallon :D

mendiant
03-11-2007, 03:16 PM
mendiant's fantasy NCAA results:

Gonzaga beats Indiana with ease,

and goes on to avenge last year's UCLA loss,

The Duke game is played with much better results and on to...

Kansas, where Micah gets to beat old team-mates.

The Final Four is decided when Gonzaga avenges the double over time loss of years gone by when they beat Arizona.

The Championship is decided when Gonzaga meets either #1 seed NC (beaten in regular season) or #2 Memphis (a narrow loss in regular season).

This is my fantasy bracket...

Anyone else notice how many of these teams we have played this year or in years gone by?

Thank you coaching staff, for your dedication to this program...you are the ZAGS!!!

love,
mendiant

Bulldog
03-11-2007, 03:20 PM
UCLA has got to be wetting their pants right now, if they get by Weber St.

BobZag
03-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Very few, if any, teams I can remember have had to play the same team one year after another. Indiana is a tough defensive-minded team, as is UCLA. While I'm certain the team will amp up and take on the challenge head-on, I have a sense of--

http://www.canmag.com/images/front/movies20052/doom3.jpg

zag944
03-11-2007, 03:21 PM
mendiant's fantasy NCAA results:

Gonzaga beats Indiana with ease,

and goes on to avenge last year's UCLA loss,

The Duke game is played with much better results and on to...

Kansas, where Micah gets to beat old team-mates.

The Final Four is decided when Gonzaga avenges the double over time loss of years gone by when they beat Arizona.

The Championship is decided when Gonzaga meets either #1 seed NC (beaten in regular season) or #2 Memphis (a narrow loss in regular season).

This is my fantasy bracket...

Anyone else notice how many of these teams we have played this year or in years gone by?

Thank you coaching staff, for your dedication to this program...you are the ZAGS!!!

love,
mendiant

This sounds like Michael Corleone settling his debts at the end of a Godfather movie

madness
03-11-2007, 03:23 PM
I love this seeding for 3 reasons:

- GU stays on the West Coast (must better than traveling to Buffalo or something)

- WSU is in Sactown as well, providing the "hometown" spirit as Eastern Washington can travel to one destination and cheer for two teams

- Thursday game, my Spokane Tix have awesome teams...I am so pumped for Thursday and my trip home Wednesday night!

mendiant
03-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Horse head, anyone?

When I was around 8 or 9, my grandmother made home-made head cheese... I'll never forget that porcine head mounted on her kitchen counter top...

anywho,

GO ZAGS!!!!

gueastcoast
03-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Mendiant, between the horse head reference and the great script with GU avenging wrongs left and right, I think you should seek your fortune in Hollywood ;)

That said I'd happily pay $13 or whatever they charge these days to see "The Zagfather"....

KoolAidRules
03-11-2007, 04:04 PM
both programs and looks forward to seeing Pargo jump out of the gym.

Write this Down...KoolAid and any intelligent IU fan respects the Zags, your program, and thinks that Mark Few is one best in the business.

KoolAid predicts a game to remember on Thursday Evening!!! This Hoosier Team is nothing like the squad you saw last season and Hoosier Fans are now happy with the direction of our program.

--KoolAid

Bulldog
03-11-2007, 04:22 PM
It's a pretty good sign for a couple of big wins by the Zag's when BZ predicts DOOM.

It just seems to work out that way.

Go Zag's.:)

CDC84
03-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Gonzaga was not going to get a great draw no matter what. That's how it is being a 10 seed.

That all being said, I feel that GU has a chance to give any team in the west region a game. I think that's the best we could ask for. There are no gross mismatches where I think...Gonzaga couldn't possibly stay in a game with such and such. Even Kansas as the 1 seed....I would rather face them if I were Gonzaga than Florida, OSU or UNC.

It's truly a one round at a time proposition here. Gonzaga has a less favorable matchup against Indiana this time around than they did last year. IU was probably the best team Gonzaga could've possibly faced in the 2nd round last March from a matchup perspective. This season, GU will have to figure out a way to contain DJ White in the post and on the glass without losing track of their 3 point shooters.

It won't be easy.

I have to believe we will get an evening game on Thursday with UCLA playing the other game. Wazzu will play during the day in Sacramento. I hope so.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-11-2007, 06:56 PM
I love it Mendiant!

RenoZag
03-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Some Statistical Comparisons

GU

Scoring Avg. --79.1
Pts Allwd Avg -- 70
Turnovers PG - 14.0
RPG----------- 37.6
Steals--------- 6.2
Blocks--------- 3.6
FT %---------- .751
3PT %--------- .395

Indiana

Scoring Avg. --70.9
Pts Allwd Avg -- 63.13
Turnovers PG - 12.4
RPG----------- 33.3
Steals--------- 6.6
Blocks--------- 4.5
FT %---------- .712
3PT %--------- .384

ZaggyZaggerson
03-11-2007, 09:06 PM
If the Zags are man enough to top the Whoseyourdaddies in the first round, I GUARANTEE that the Zags will beat that no-scoring group of ugly Bruins:mad: , led by beauty Ben Howland. The Zags outscore just about anybody, especially with four 3-point shooting guards on the floor.

Doktorkev
03-11-2007, 09:27 PM
This sounds like Michael Corleone settling his debts at the end of a Godfather movie

I absolutely love it:D

TheZagPhish
03-11-2007, 09:53 PM
I have a sense of--

http://www.canmag.com/images/front/movies20052/doom3.jpg

Of course many of us have come to like it when you're feeling incipient doom... :D

soonerterp
03-11-2007, 10:54 PM
I predict the team with more points on the board when the clock reads 0:00 at the end of the second half will be the winner!

gonzagulous
03-12-2007, 05:37 AM
Living in the Midwest, I've had a chance to watch a few Indiana games this year and I haven't been all that impressed with the team. That being said, DJ White is a very talented big man and he has the ability to dominate us in the low post (fortunately he's their only real good big man). The Hoosiers beat Wisconsin just over a month ago. They like to shoot the 3 and can be very good at it, a formula which GU tends to have trouble with.

We've got our work cut out for us, but this is a very winnable game for GU... If we come out playing like we did against Memphis I like our chances!

Zagquette
03-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Can they bring Marco Killingsworth back from Turkey so Mallon and dominate him again?

I don't think he will have as much luck against DJ White.

Peace

Rubbadub
03-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Poor Marco, JP and Sean were just too much for him.

UberZagFan
03-12-2007, 02:16 PM
It looks like this consideration was completely ignored by the selection committee:

3. If possible, rematches of previous years’ tournament games should be avoided in the first and second rounds.

lothar98zag
03-12-2007, 02:29 PM
It looks like this consideration was completely ignored by the selection committee:

3. If possible, rematches of previous years’ tournament games should be avoided in the first and second rounds.
well...GU & IU played in the 2nd round last year and it'll be the 2nd round this year...so it isn't a rematch because it's a different round...

UberZagFan
03-12-2007, 02:36 PM
well...GU & IU played in the 2nd round last year and it'll be the 2nd round this year...so it isn't a rematch because it's a different round...

And no doubt that is their logic. As much as I like to exact revenge, I'd just assume play some schools we haven't seen before (or in a long while). Mix it up.

ZagManFan
03-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Thought I would throw in the matchups for this game. Interesting to see that we have a large advantage on defensive rebounds, but close to the same on the O-board.

Anyways, just for looks...

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/headToHeadTeamResults?statsId1=233&statsId2=271&