PDA

View Full Version : OT: Former Zag Tyler Amaya

SpudDawg
09-26-2008, 10:54 AM
From Western Washington University's athletic site:

Former WWU standout Amaya signs with top team in China

Sept. 24, 2008

BELLINGHAM, Wash. - Former Western Washington University men's basketball forward Tyler Amaya has signed a contract to play overseas this winter. Amaya will compete for the Guangdong Southern Tigers, a first-division team in China.

Amaya joined the semi-pro Bellingham Slam eight games into the 2008 season after playing with the Düsseldorf Magics in Germany last winter. Amaya's impact with the Slam was felt immediately as the team won 14 of its next 16 games. Bellingham went on to capture the International Basketball League championship. Amaya was named co-MVP of the title game with 20 points and 13 rebounds, finishing with averages of 21.8 points and 10.2 rebounds per game.

A standout at Mount Vernon High School, Amaya played one season each at Gonzaga and Dixie State, before transferring to Western Washington, where he led the Vikings to back-to-back NCAA Division II West Regional appearances in 2005 and 2006. Amaya averaged 14.8 points and 8.0 rebounds during his senior season at WWU.

Guangdong is considered one of China's elite teams, having won the Chinese Basketball Association title four of the last five seasons. The Southern Tigers are the former team of Yi Jianlian, who was selected sixth overall by the Milwaukee Bucks in the 2007 NBA Draft and now plays for the New Jersey Nets.

The Chinese Basketball Association's season runs from October to March, making Amaya eligible to potentially re-sign with the Slam for the 2009 season.

[URL="http://wwuvikings.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/092408aaa.html"]

StocktonIsMyHero
09-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Whoa... there's a blast from the past. Kind of ironic that Amaya is playing in China.

thespywhozaggedme
09-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Whoa... there's a blast from the past. Kind of ironic that Amaya is playing in China.

Why, is he Asian? I remember him and Dustin Villapeague and the skinny pg that transferred as well to PSU, I think, Josh Reising or something. Those three were kind of highly touted and all transferred.

StocktonIsMyHero
09-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Um...... I don't think the mods probably want to dig this stuff up. Just Google his name if you are interested.

thespywhozaggedme
09-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Um...... I don't think the mods probably want to dig this stuff up. Just Google his name if you are interested.

Man, some weird posters tonight, between you and Netvelen. You made an odd comment about China and all I did was ask for some elaboration. Sheesh! :mad:

StocktonIsMyHero
09-26-2008, 09:57 PM
OK, OK... here:

http://forums.yellowworld.org/showthread.php?t=4553

Just don't blame me for posting something negative. All I intended to say was that it was ironic... I just kind of assumed people knew about this.

thespywhozaggedme
09-26-2008, 10:04 PM
OK, OK... here:

http://forums.yellowworld.org/showthread.php?t=4553

Just don't blame me for posting something negative. All I intended to say was that it was ironic... I just kind of assumed people knew about this.

Thanks. I didn't remember this. It's no biggie; a dumb thing by a young dumb kid at the time. He joins some famous company with those remarks though; Shaq and Rosie O'Donnell said the same thing. It is ironic that he's now in China.

LargeWilliam
09-27-2008, 05:17 AM
That entire incident was over blown as I understand it. The Shaq remark about his first meeting against Yao had just happened and Tyler was telling the story to one of his team mates as he'd seen the Sports Center piece just prior to leaving the hotel. As he got to the part about what Shaq said the man appeared. Tyler in no way was directing anything at the man. In our PC world there were people ready to jump all over it and they did with gusto.
I've known Tyler since he was a freshman in high school and know that he has no ill feelings towards anyone based on their race or ethninticity.