PDA

View Full Version : 1,100 Frosh at GU

Zag 77
09-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Very good enrollment number reported yesterday. For those out of town,and had not known this, they need more dorm space and a new on is being built on the former soccer practice field on the north side of Catherine-Monica. Opens next fall.

There is an urban legend that Catherine-Monica was built in the 1960's and only projected to have a 20 year life span.

True?

lawzag
09-20-2008, 08:39 AM
I believe the article said total current enrollment at GU is 7,200+ - Wow!

RenoZag
09-20-2008, 10:14 AM
http://gonzaga.edu/Main/UploadedFiles/Image/HamiltonHousing1_goodwinDSC0707_goodwin.JPG

The new residence hall, which carries an estimated price tag of $16.0 million, will be located on what had been a grass soccer practice field along the west side of Hamilton Street, northeast of the Martin Centre, and south of St. Monica residence hall. Its foundation and walls are visible from Hamilton. A name for the facility has not been decided upon yet.

The construction comes as Gonzaga today confirmed another record large freshman class. According to 10th-day enrollment figures from the registrar’s office (released Tuesday), the current freshman class numbers 1,103 students, topping the record-large final 2007 freshman class totaling 1,031 students. The 10-day enrollment figures also peg Gonzaga’s total undergraduate enrollment at 4,515 students, up from the final 2007 total undergraduate enrollment of 4,377 students.

The fall 2008 total institutional enrollment (by headcount) is 7,229 students, up from the final fall 2007 count of 7,020 students. Total enrollment includes undergraduate, Law School and all graduate programs.

With the new residence hall scheduled to open for freshmen in fall 2009, workers will be on a fast track and are expected to complete what is typically a 15- to 18-month project in 12 months, said Ken Sammons, Gonzaga’s director of plant services. Footing and foundation plans were recently approved by the city. The architect for the project is Wolfe Architectural Group, P.S., of Spokane.

The new residence hall will include four stories of wood-framed housing with a concrete deck and 18,600 square feet of parking underneath. Similar to the Kennedy Apartments, this “hybrid” residence hall will include lounge and recreation areas, a main lobby with a fireplace, a reception center, a classroom and a small Sodexho food and coffee facility. Each floor will have an apartment to accommodate resident directors, a chaplain or live-in faculty.

The facility includes capacity to construct housing for up to 260 more students (600 total) if additional wings are added later. The Gonzaga Board of Trustees approved the construction at its July meeting.

MedZag
09-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Good lord GU is changing fast.

TheBeast
09-21-2008, 06:46 AM
I remember 10 years ago when my freshman class had the record size. And we had to walk uphill twice in the snow and mud and unhappiness just to get it.

DomoArigatoMrZagoto
09-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Rendering from the Spokesman...http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/dirt/media/gonzagavilla.jpg

MedZag
09-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Man that is going to make C/M and Madonna look like pieces of... well, yknow.

a13coach
09-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Man that is going to make C/M and Madonna look like pieces of... well, yknow.

Err.. don't they already look...oh never mind.

jbslicer
09-22-2008, 04:10 PM
My daughter is a freshman at GU living in Cath/Mon. It is a POS.
It looks the same as when I was a freshman in 1971.

TexasZagFan
09-23-2008, 08:53 AM
My daughter is a freshman at GU living in Cath/Mon. It is a POS.
It looks the same as when I was a freshman in 1971.

You were a year ahead of me jb. It's striking how improved the facilities are today.

MBZags
09-23-2008, 10:42 AM
I lived in C/M my freshman year. I especially enjoyed C/M when one kid caught five mice in one night, and even more when I woke up to find a mouse sitting on my keyboard.

Birddog
09-30-2008, 06:03 AM
There is an urban legend that Catherine-Monica was built in the 1960's and only projected to have a 20 year life span.

I'm not sure if it was exactly 20 years and not sure "lifespan" is the proper term, but all those wood framed dorms of the era, Lincoln House, Rebmann, Robinson, Alliance, CM, etc, were thrown up fast and the press releases at the time said something like they would have a "useful" life of 20 years or so. I think CM was built around '61, Lincoln and the others were '63. CM was originally for women only as were Madonna and Crimont. The wood framed dorms were thrown up to house all the baby boomers expected on campus. The shortage of dorms was getting critical in the early 60's. IIRC, only Welch and DeSmet for men and Madonna for women were in existence. Both Madonna and Welch were built in the late 50's.

From the student handbook of 1966 here are a couple of pearls:
1)"Since the 1961-1962 school year, the school population has grown from 1,850 to 2,682."
2)"The heart of the Computing Center is the IBM 1130 digital computer supported by auxiliary equipment. It serves as an aid to science and engineering students in their course work and also is used by the faculty for research purposes. The computer handles the registration, accounting, and business statistics of the University."

http://ibm1130.org/
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/1130/1130_intro.html

LongIslandZagFan
09-30-2008, 06:19 AM
Err.. don't they already look...oh never mind.

Madonna may not be much to look at, but I loved living there. It may have had something to do with the 2-1 ratio of women to men... but I could be wrong.:D