PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga's facilities compared to bigger schools?

everybodycougsit
09-16-2008, 10:57 AM
There is no doubt the New Kennel has helped gu land some talented recruits in recent years. I was wondering if gonzaga has made any more additions that would help in recruiting for men's basketball. Wasn't gonzaga planning to build a new weight room or rec facility? How does Gonzaga's facilities stack up against the Pac-10?

MississppiZag
09-16-2008, 11:17 AM
I would think that most schools in the Pac 10 would have better facilities, but i am not sure. We lose recruits to the Pac 10 schools. Not sure how big of a factor or difference the facilities make.

MickMick
09-16-2008, 11:34 AM
The plane! The plane!

GU32
09-16-2008, 12:09 PM
http://gozags.cstv.com/facilities/training-room.html

New training room.

Once and Future Zag
09-16-2008, 01:00 PM
From the linked article...

The athletic training room will be nearly 5,000 square feet and include two new whirlpools, a treadmill made especially for therapeutic purposes, a 2,000-watt laser and an upgraded sled for knee rehabilitation among other improvements and additions.

What?

Can anyone elucidate the use for a 2Kw laser for training?

Thomas_Sutpen
09-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Google is your friend:

http://helpmykneepain.com/frequently-asked-questions-low-level-laser-therapy.php

CaliforniaZaggin'
09-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Will the new training room be housed in an entirely new building? Or is the old training room just gonna get a facelift?

CDC84
09-16-2008, 01:48 PM
In all honesty, I really doubt that many Pac 10 schools are getting basketball recruits that Gonzaga wants on the basis of superior facilities these days. That may have been the case 7 years ago when the team was playing in K1 and flying commercial at all hours, but I think the new plane, K2 and other things have made the "facilities" argument less convincing. I'm not saying it still isn't being used against Gonzaga in the recruiting wars, but opposing BCS coaches are smart enough to know that they need to focus on other things when trying to convince a recruit to come to their school. I mean, when K2 opened up, the thing that you heard from Few and the coaching staff again and again was just how much K2 was going to help them as far as recruiting was concerned. K2 is as good as any arena in the Pac 10 except maybe the Galen Center at USC....it just seats less people. If I were a basketball recruit, Gonzaga has just about everything I would ever want from a facilities standpoint. Now if I wanted to play at a school with greater basketball tradition and/or play in a league with a higher profile....UCLA or Arizona would probably have more appeal.

theothegreat21
09-16-2008, 01:52 PM
I was able to recently see the new training room, and it will be absolutely incredible when it is done. All of the athletes are excited, and it should be done around the beginning of October.

For California.....it is being constructed in the Old Kennel, so there is not a new building being constructed to hold it.

freezer12
09-16-2008, 02:05 PM
I was able to recently see the new training room, and it will be absolutely incredible when it is done. All of the athletes are excited, ....

I'm not sure you want athletes excited about a training room, if you catch my drift. :p

ssorvszag
09-16-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure you want athletes excited about a training room, if you catch my drift. :p

I know what you are saying freezer, but if our guys are excited then Davies must be or will be. Thanks for the info as always theo.:)

MDABE80
09-16-2008, 07:09 PM
If K2 had 12,000 seats, it would be thee premier Arena on the West Coast. Could use a parking structure which will be coming along soon enough.
Galen is a spectacle but as far as the facility goes, K2 is just as good.....everything they have, GU has.

StocktonIsMyHero
09-16-2008, 07:53 PM
If K2 had 12,000 seats, it would be thee premier Arena on the West Coast. Could use a parking structure which will be coming along soon enough.

Um...... really? I'm assuming you mean college arena... don't think K2 really compares to the Staples Center or the Rose Garden or any of the other NBA arenas of the west.

K2 is great medium-sized gym, but really... I wouldn't say that K2 is significantly better than even the Leavey Center at SCU or the Jenny Craig Pavillion at San Diego. I mean it's nice and a great place to watch a game, but one of if not the premier arenas? I think that's a bit much.

And how about the SaveMart center at Fresno State? Heck, even the Long Beach Pyramid? And the re-done Maples Pavilion? Or the re-done Pauley Paviolion? Tons of history in those buildings, which means something to me. And the old-school charm of Hec Ed and Mac Court in Eugene is tough to beat... they are kind of like the Fenway Park and Wrigley Field of the Pac-10. Maybe not the flashiest or nicest places, but you can feel the history just walking in. I mean... wouldn't you say you'd rather see a game at the Palestra than just about anywhere?

ZagNut08
09-16-2008, 08:06 PM
while the leavey center and slim jim look nice, they don't stack up inside. The seats, food, technological/sound, etc are all far superior in K2.

and yes, I think it is obvious abe is talking college hoops.

CDC84
09-16-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm still convinced that I've lost more of my hearing due to the Leavey Center's sound system over the years than I have at all of the rock concerts I've ever attended.......

freezer12
09-17-2008, 03:08 AM
while the leavey center and slim jim look nice, they don't stack up inside. The seats, food, technological/sound, etc are all far superior in K2.

and yes, I think it is obvious abe is talking college hoops.

Seats...The upper west side of Leavey has permanent seats now.

The other stuff...Gonzaga spends more money on basketball, including all the "marketing" things that you mentioned, so what do you expect?