PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Ball Gazing...

Kiddwell
09-11-2008, 07:45 PM
...sees the Zags as strong and reasonably deep at guard and PF/C in '09-'10 (yes, next year). Another "big" from high school (in addition to Dower) may come aboard in the Spring too. Even perhaps a JUCO "big" (or so are the suggestions hereabouts in recent threads). But...

...what about Small Forward? This year's Zags squad will enjoy riches in SF depth and talent: Downs, Ira!, and Daye. Next year, however, two of those student/athletes will be gone for sure, and Daye may be swept away too by the NBA.

In which case Kiddwell's a tad nervous that no high school and/or JUCO names of late have been bandied about regarding SFs. Is that because high-quality (and "tallish") guards like Bouldin, Gray, Gibbs, and Arop are up to the SF task?

:]

BobZag
09-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I think Arop is ideal to play the wing. He's a terrific rebounder and by far the longest player we'll have for that position. I was hoping Kong would be a wing for us, but alas...

Wouldn't mind putting a shooter deluxe on the wing, either. Steven Gray? Yup. I can see that, too.

And let's say Goodson starts at PG with Gray or Bouldin at SG. Maybe it's Gibbs who thrives at the 3 spot.

I think we'll be fine at SF. Who knows, maybe DeVonte Elliott turns out to be a SF for us.

Lots of options. Not much to worry about.

MississppiZag
09-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Is Manny Arop capable of starting in his first year? Hard to say with Goodson, Gray, and Bouldin there. Without Daye, Poling or Dower will most likely Start at PF.

Kiddwell
09-13-2008, 03:45 PM
The thing I'm a bit concerned about is size. Small Forwards are typically taller than Big Guards. Thus, when the Zags are playing some of the more talented teams in the OOC and Big Dance, I wonder whether our Big Guards (while filling the Small Forward role) might get out-rebounded and "shot-blocked" by the other teams' SFs.

In contrast it'd take quite a leaper to block our present 5-star SFs, Micah (at 6-8) and Austin (at 6-10). Additionally those two athletes are adept at cleaning the glass.

:]

BobZag
09-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Point taken, Kidd. But remember, Richie Frahm is still one of our best Wings (SFs) and he is 6'5" at the most.

That said, I like 6'8"ish SFs as well.

The thing about Arop is, in two international tournaments this summer and last spring, he was a double-digit rebounder. The kid seems to have a nose for the ball. And he's a natural scorer. He might fill that 3 spot nicely.

Meanwhile, Gray has grown and gotten bigger this offseason, which makes me wonder if he just might be a nice Wing in the mold of Frahm.

MickMick
09-13-2008, 06:27 PM
I think the best players will get minutes regardless of what square peg (player) we are trying to pound into a round hole (position).

Basically the same thing BZ is saying. I see Arop, Goodson, Gray, Bouldin and Gibbs all playing significant roles. The Zags could do a lot worse than having a 6' 5" wing that plays like Richie Frahm.

It all starts with the point though. That is why I am so excited to see Meech get on the court.

MississppiZag
09-14-2008, 05:18 AM
Manny Arop will be fine. Dower and Poling will share time at the PF spot. So maybe a guy like Cody Larson could play the PF and SF position.