PDA

View Full Version : All Hail ESPNU!

BobZag
09-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Gonzaga University will join three of the nation’s other premier teams Dec. 6 to headline The Hartford Hall of Fame Showcase as the first basketball event to be played in the new Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

For the third time in four years and for the fourth time since 2002 the Bulldogs will face Indiana University in the 1:30 p.m. ET opener followed by Big East-power University of Notre Dame against 2007 NCAA runner-up Ohio State University at 4 p.m. ET. The event, which is owned and managed by BEST, is in its third year and serves as an annual fundraiser for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass.

“The Hartford Hall of Fame Showcase is an outstanding event. We have played a couple of great opponents in the University of Texas and the University of Connecticut the past two years, and Coach (Tom) Crean and Indiana will provide us another NCAA Tournament-like atmosphere,” Gonzaga head coach Mark Few said. “We all know Indianapolis and the state of Indiana is a hotbed of basketball. The fans will be treated to an entertaining doubleheader and we’re proud to once again be a part of it.”

Gonzaga has participated in the previous two showcase events, downing Texas and Kevin Durant 88-77 in the inaugural event in Phoenix, Ariz., Dec. 2, 2006, and stopping UConn 85-82 last Dec. 1 at the TD Banknorth Garden in Boston, Mass.

“What a terrific doubleheader to open Lucas Oil Field to basketball,” said Crean. “This event brings together the best the sport has to offer – four nationally recognized programs, Hall of Fame legends and the new dome – all to benefit the Basketball Hall of Fame. We are thrilled that The Hartford and the Hall of Fame have chosen our great state to host what will be college basketball’s best event this season.”

The Bulldogs and Hoosiers played each other in back-to-back NCAA Tournaments. Gonzaga prevailed 90-80 in the 2006 NCAA Second Round at Salt Lake City, Utah, in the last game for then-head coach Mike Davis. A year later Gonzaga and Indiana were at it again the tournament, the Hoosiers prevailing 70-57 in a First Round game in Sacramento, Calif. The two teams first met Nov. 26, 2002, in the EA Sports Maui Invitational, Indiana claiming a 76-75 verdict.

Lucas Oil Stadium, which just opened last month, is home to the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts and will serve as the host of the 2010 NCAA Final Four and Super Bowl XLVI in 2012. The basketball configuration for The Hartford Hall of Fame Showcase will accommodate approximately 40,000 fans. Seating will be arranged in typical Final Four style with fan bases in each quadrant. Both games of the doubleheader are expected to be televised nationally, although no television deal has yet to be confirmed.

“We are ecstatic to host The Hartford Hall of Fame Showcase as the inaugural basketball game in Lucas Oil Stadium,” said Mike Fox, Stadium Director at Lucas Oil Stadium. “The participating teams, with all of their Indiana ties, are sure to be of great interest to many basketball fans throughout the state. The Hartford Hall of Fame Showcase, on the weekend traditionally known as the true beginning of the college basketball season, is a fitting start to a hopefully long tradition of exciting college basketball in Lucas Oil Stadium. We are also hopeful to see one or more of the participating teams back at Lucas Oil Stadium for the NCAA Men's Regional next March.”

This will be the event’s first trip to a domed stadium. The event was launched at U.S. Airways Center in Phoenix in Dec. 2006 and visited Boston’s TD Banknorth Garden last year. The doubleheader serves as a mobile “bowl-like” event for college hoops, featuring four college basketball programs while building the brand and image of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, a non-profit institution that recognizes excellence at all levels of the game. The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. (NYSE: HIG), partnered last year to become title sponsor of the event.

“For nearly two centuries, The Hartford has operated its business by integrating the values of leadership, vision and integrity in all that it does,“ said Connie Weaver, senior vice president of Marketing and Communications for The Hartford. “We are honored to see The Hartford’s name along side the Naismith Hall of Fame and the NCAA, organizations that share in our winning values.”

As a companion to the games, The Hartford Hall of Fame Showcase also features a rich schedule of community outreach programs and a youth clinic. It tips off its Indianapolis impact with a corporate golf event on Oct. 6, 2008 at The Brickyard. More than a dozen enshrined members of the Basketball Hall of Fame are expected to participate on the famed course that includes four holes inside the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Last year, the Greater Boston Convention and Visitor’s Bureau estimated the event’s effect on its local economy to reach nearly $10 million.

“Most people know I am a huge basketball fan, so having an event like this in Indianapolis is a personal joy for me and great for our City,” said Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard.

Tickets are priced from $250 courtside to $15 in upper sections. Public sale of tickets for The Hartford Hall of Fame Showcase begins at noon on Monday, Sept. 8, at the Lucas Oil Stadium box office, all Ticketmaster locations, Ticketmaster.com, or by calling 317.239.5151. Each school has been granted an allotment of tickets to sell to its respective fans, students and alumni. For corporate and group packages, please contact BEST Collegiate at 859.264.8020. Complete event information can be found on www.hoophall.com or www.experienceBEST.com.

Once and Future Zag
09-06-2008, 09:16 AM
So it's really the Hartford-Gonzaga Hall of Fame Classic... neh?

MickMick
09-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Crean likes TV schedule (http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080904/SPORTS/809040359)

ZagNative
09-06-2008, 09:35 AM
All right, I'll bite. ESPNU? Where's the reference to ESPNU in these stories? Or is this BZ's way of breaking us the hideous news?

BobZag
09-06-2008, 10:03 AM
BwahahahBwahahah.

ESPNU

Bwahahah.

ZagNative
09-06-2008, 10:44 AM
So next time I post an updated schedule table, do I put a big old red ESPNU next to the Indianapolis game? Do we know the time? PST? Might be a little less aggravating to belly up to the bar mid-day before the locals have had a chance to scoff up too many scooners and get too rowdy, but I'd imagine it will be late ...

Zag 77
09-06-2008, 11:27 AM
For goodness sake, no more whining about ESPNU and Comcast. Just go get DISH or DIRECTV. Or just go down to Jack & Dan's or Heroes & Legends or whatever.

lawzag
09-06-2008, 04:15 PM
ZN - the newspaper article said it will be on ESPNU & that Gonzaga is playing the first game, so we are definitely the "early" game, but it did not give a specific time.

krozman
09-06-2008, 05:12 PM
For goodness sake, no more whining about ESPNU and Comcast. Just go get DISH or DIRECTV. Or just go down to Jack & Dan's or Heroes & Legends or whatever.

Other than the absurdity that is ESPNU, Comcast does a better job than dish or directv ever could. Plus, murphy's law states that as soon as I convert, it'll change and comcast will offer it.

Sports bars are for people who don't have two children under 5 years old.

So you'll hear our #####ing and like it sir!

CDC84
09-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Well, I would be willing to bet that almost every dish owner on this site would disagree with this. I've never known anyone, personally, who has tossed their dish to go back to cable, unless they lived in northern Wisconsin or something. I've had both cable and dish over the years, and in my experience, Direct TV has 5x better customer service than Comcast, and they offer many more channels for the same amount of money. It does have a bigger startup cost, which is one of the reasons why Comcast Cable still does business....in addition to the fact that they don't have competing cable companies in most areas. But if you wait for a dish special, you can get a pretty good deal....it's smooth sailing after that.

sullyzag66
09-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, I would be willing to bet that almost every dish owner on this site would disagree with this. I've never known anyone, personally, who has tossed their dish to go back to cable, unless they lived in northern Wisconsin or something. I've had both cable and dish over the years, and in my experience, Direct TV has 5x better customer service than Comcast, and they offer many more channels for the same amount of money. It does have a bigger startup cost, which is one of the reasons why Comcast Cable still does business....in addition to the fact that they don't have competing cable companies in most areas. But if you wait for a dish special, you can get a pretty good deal....it's smooth sailing after that.
What he said. Now, if DirecTV will only pick up ESPNU HD.

MickMick
09-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I have Dish Network and I see every Zag game that is televised. It is just great for sports anyways. And they have recently provided a large portion of their channels in HD.

I don't have season tickets. I do have a DVR, a 52" HDTV, and Satellite Programming. I watch every Zag game at least twice (if not more).

I can live without the tickets :)

ssorvszag
09-07-2008, 08:51 AM
I also noticed that DTV is offering free sports packages for new cutomers.

ZagNut08
09-07-2008, 09:22 AM

If you work them, they will give in. I got free setup/install/two free receivers (one hd dvr), and free second room service, etc etc. I had no startup costs. First month was $55 for HD DVR service with tons of channels. I will be adding the $12 sports package come bball season to catch all the games

Rangerzag
09-07-2008, 09:30 AM
I am looking for the reports from dish owners surrounded by walls of trees endorsing bulletproof dish reception all through the rainy seasons.

Nevtelen
09-07-2008, 01:07 PM
You do have to have a pretty good view of the S sky. Our house is surrounded by lots of trees, but there's a gap (where the neighbor's yard is) pointing to the S and it works perfectly. Trees in the way would be a problem, though. Rain has never been an issue despite the fact that I live in W Washington. Wind was an issue once (the huge windstorm last year made me have to recalibrate the dish a little, but it was easy) and snow was once this past year (but fixing that was as easy as wiping the snow off).

Seriously, I switched to satelite, got a free DVR thrown in, and would not go back to cable.

Rangerzag
09-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the answer, Nevtelen. Is your dish pointed exactly south, or is it off to an angle?

Nevtelen
09-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure of the exact angle it's at. My understanding is that it works with a fairly broad arc - it's not like there's a pinpoint beam or anything. When the installer came, he brought a sensor and figured out what angle it would have to be to get good reception. If I couldn't have gotten reception (I have a neighbor with this problem - another, taller, house was in his way), the satellite guy just tells you and you don't pay a thing. All in all, very painless.

Proudzagmom
09-07-2008, 01:31 PM
We switched from cable to DirectTV last December and we LOVE it. We have the $12 sports package and we never missed a game. Living in "the other windy city" in Central Washington, I can tell you that we have had cable outages due to wind in the past more than we have had any problems with our satelite because of it.

Today I taped the Seahawks game and the Mariners (I know, but I still enjoy them) while watching Kasey Kahne miss out on the chase. After watching the Nadal/Murray tennis match, and after I finish my homework, I will watch the other games. What? It's the day of rest, right?

Zag 77
09-07-2008, 03:44 PM
If you don't want to get satellite out of some misguided loyalty to Comcast (believe me, that don't give a rip about you) then how about this idea?

Leave the kiddies with a sitter or your parents or her parents or your sister or your sister in law, or whatever, and go with your wife to the local sports restaurant/bar/grill/pizza parlor and watch it together.

It is called a "DATE."

Wow, going out with your spouse without the kids. Maybe that idea might catch on, do ya think?

BoltZag
09-08-2008, 08:19 AM
As previously posted, Comcast and ESPN have reached an agreement and ESPNU will be carried across the system later this year.

...but, while we're at it, Dtv is at least a zillion times better than cable.

cjm720
09-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Wow, it's like a Dr. Phil episode on this thread.

CDC84
09-08-2008, 08:32 AM
I can actually get Direct TV's Choice package, plus the $12 Sports Pack (which gives me every FSN channel (including FSN-NW), CBS College Sports, ESPNU, etc.), for $47 a month. Once the basketball season ends, I can cancel the Sports Pack and pay just $34.99 per month. Direct TV's Choice package is comparable in price to Comcast Digital Cable Starter, and I get more channels. You only start paying $80+ per month with Direct TV if you want HD and 265+ channels. I don't watch that much TV or movies, so I keep it basic. The Direct TV installation folks will not install a dish at your home if they can't get a signal, and they go through major testing before they leave to make sure your signal is as stable and strong as possible.

BTW...this post is aimed at people who are deciding whether or not to get dish. It's not a criticism of anyone who prefers cable.

Zagdawg
09-08-2008, 09:53 AM
CDC-- are you in Spokane?

BoZarth
09-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Rated #1 by Consumer Reports.

Has all the ESPN's including the U and Classic in basic pakage.

Fios is slowly becoming available all over the country.

I've had cable and Dish. I'd rate cable a distant 3rd.

Zag 77
09-08-2008, 01:18 PM
We had Comcast for 6 years. We have had DISH for 3. Comcast had crappy service and kept raising their rates by a buck or two every 9 months. DISH is not perfect, but at least they don't keep nickel and diming me on rates as bad as Comcast.