PDA

View Full Version : Bol Kong to Canadian University!

CanadianZagFan
09-04-2008, 03:59 AM
Just a rumor right now, but I have heard that Kong will be going to St. Francis Xavier University in Nova Scotia. Long history and one of the better programs in Canada.

I guess the visa issue never got resolved.

75Zag
09-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Is this a media rumor or a drunken uncle rumor? I did a quick Google of Canadian press sources and did not see anything.

If he is going to stay in Canada, St. Francis is probably a good choice.

spudzag
09-04-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm sure Bol needs to have a backup plan just like Few does. :(

CanadianZagFan
09-04-2008, 01:13 PM
From what I understand it is more than a rumor, he is on campus.

I am snot sure if he was in a one year program last year or not, if so, he may be eligible right away.

CaliforniaZaggin'
09-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Yikes. Here's hoping for a last minute miracle with his US Visa.

OZZag
09-04-2008, 03:53 PM
From what I understand it is more than a rumor, he is on campus.

I am snot sure if he was in a one year program last year or not, if so, he may be eligible right away.

Bol would be able to play from day one at SFX as Douglas is a feeder college much like Junior colleges are in the States. I heard the rumour months ago that he was looking at an alternative and SFX was the location.

seasontixholder
09-04-2008, 05:39 PM
This may not be related whatsoever with Bol Kong, but today I was at the Department of Licensing to renew a Drivers License. While there (an hour, the inefficient buggers), I spotted a young man wearing Gonzaga shirt, of African descent, and definitely with an accent and modest English skills. He was not seeking a drivers license but only a photo ID. Height, about 6-4 rough guess. I'm not a recruiting junkie, and if I had read that part of the board more often I could have possibly more dialed into the fellow.

Take it for what it's worth.

OZZag
09-04-2008, 05:43 PM
This may not be related whatsoever with Bol Kong, but today I was at the Department of Licensing to renew a Drivers License. While there (an hour, the inefficient buggers), I spotted a young man wearing Gonzaga shirt, of African descent, and definitely with an accent and modest English skills. He was not seeking a drivers license but only a photo ID. Height, about 6-4 rough guess. I'm not a recruiting junkie, and if I had read that part of the board more often I could have possibly more dialed into the fellow.

Take it for what it's worth.

Bol is 6'7" tall, so perhaps it was Manny as I recall that he is in town this weekend for a visit.

seasontixholder
09-04-2008, 05:49 PM
I am embarrassed to ask, "who's Manny?" (Again, I've given up following the recruiting wars long ago.) Got a photo of his face?

OZZag
09-04-2008, 05:55 PM
I am embarrassed to ask, "who's Manny?" (Again, I've given up following the recruiting wars long ago.) Got a photo of his face?

Here is one I found, Manny is Mangisto Arop who has verbally committed to GU for 2009. He is a 6'5" Shooting guard.

ZagNative
09-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Manny is an '09 commit for the Zags. Use the excellent search feature for "Manny" on this board, and you'll find lots and lots of threads about him.

I haven't yet been able to find a really clear image of of Manny's face. This one from a year ago is the clearest I've found:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/Mangisto%20Arop/2007-06-02MannyAropCanadalaunche-1.jpg

seasontixholder
09-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I would say that the photo resembles the young man that I saw. 75-80% certain. Why would a recruit be getting a Washington photo ID?

It was kind of a strange deal. He was a polite person that was treated rudely by two low class women when he asked them for help. They were involved with some inside joke and were giggling non-stop for the whole time they were there, including when "Manny" requested their help. I was more focused on them than him. (I gave them a big stage whisper "Thank God" when they left.)

I hope that he didn't take that as a Welcome to Spokane.

ZagNative
09-04-2008, 06:35 PM
As for his language skills, Manny's been in Canada since he was a little boy, I think, so I would expect he would sound like a native Canadian by now, or close to it.

Civil servants like the ones you describe drive me nuts.

whatazag
09-04-2008, 09:07 PM
I would say that the photo resembles the young man that I saw. 75-80% certain. Why would a recruit be getting a Washington photo ID?

It was kind of a strange deal. He was a polite person that was treated rudely by two low class women when he asked them for help. They were involved with some inside joke and were giggling non-stop for the whole time they were there, including when "Manny" requested their help. I was more focused on them than him. (I gave them a big stage whisper "Thank God" when they left.)

I hope that he didn't take that as a Welcome to Spokane.

Like you say, it wouldn't make much sense that Manny would get a WA ID at this point since he still has another year of school in Canada left. We can hope that it was Kong and maybe you underestimated his height, but I would think if it were Kong he wouldn't have gone down by himself. Most likely scenario is that it just happened to be someone with a Zag's shirt and and accent. We can always hope though, until we get confirmation otherwise.

UberZagFan
09-04-2008, 09:59 PM
The bigger question is what were you doing standing in line at DOL when you can renew your license online:

https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/olr/

thespywhozaggedme
09-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Like you say, it wouldn't make much sense that Manny would get a WA ID at this point since he still has another year of school in Canada left. We can hope that it was Kong and maybe you underestimated his height, but I would think if it were Kong he wouldn't have gone down by himself. Most likely scenario is that it just happened to be someone with a Zag's shirt and and accent. We can always hope though, until we get confirmation otherwise.

Kong's been in Canada since he was 7, no African accent, only a Canadian one.