PDA

View Full Version : Bol Kong: "It doesn't look good"

NorthoftheBorder
08-28-2008, 09:55 PM
This afternoon I spoke with one of Kong's teammates from this past season. The teammate said that he spoke with Bol yesterday by phone and when he asked him how he was making out with getting a visa, Bol replied "It doesn't look good".

The teammate didn't get any more information than that.

Hopefully there's something going on behind the scenes that Bol doesn't know about, but he doesn't sound too postive about the situation.

CanadianZagFan
08-29-2008, 05:04 AM
It is too bad that this will not work out for Bol. With that being said, if he has the grades he should be able to find himself on a high level Canadian University team. The CIS has some very solid programs, although not D-1, they can turn out solid players. Year after year more and more CIS players are finding good pro contracts in Europe. The drawback for Bol is that he will not be able to play with any of the Canadian National teams as he is not a citizen. Summers playing with the development team would help him in go as far with basketball as he could.

Kiddwell
08-29-2008, 09:30 AM
I hope (how I hope!) this isn't the last word on Bol. I've really been looking foward to Bol Kong playing Zags basketball.

Anyone else having late (hopefully more upbeat) news?

:[

lawprof99
08-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Third hand story from a usually reliable source. Patty Murray stepped in. May work out after all

kitzbuel
08-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Third hand story from a usually reliable source. Patty Murray stepped in. May work out after all
Hooray! That is where it should be handled.

HRZag
08-29-2008, 10:58 AM
I talked to two State Department people, not at all involved with this case, but are involved in issuing Visas and said that there are multiple agencies involved in a case such as this and they all are busy and all have their own time frame. It could be a while.

Having a Congress person involved may help, but is no guarantee.

I would love to see him a Zag.

Kiddwell
08-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Mal, from your hope to God's ear...! :)

:]

Birddog
08-29-2008, 03:59 PM
I think having a respected United States Senator,
Perhaps in Washington St., but not too many other places.

kitzbuel
08-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Perhaps in Washington St., but not too many other places.
In my experience, a question from a Senator to an Executive agency invariably brings about a quick inquiry and response. Granted my experience is with the Mililtary, but having been on both sides; sending questions on behalf of state constituents and responding to questions from Congress members; Congressional's (as they are called) get attention.

Birddog
08-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Kitz, you get no argument from on that, it was the respected part that I was highlighting. I don't think "Barefoot Patty" is considered a heavyweight, and I don't think she is respected too much outside of the Evergreen State's borders. Like all legislators on the federal level, she can get a bureaucrat's attention.

NorthoftheBorder
08-29-2008, 05:44 PM
I just got off the phone with Bol's teammate. He was speaking with another one of their teammates and that teammate said that Bol received some good news yesterday and that if all goes according to plan, he (Bol) will be in Spokane on Wednesday (Sept 3rd).

I know the information is third hand, but at least it's encouraging (and it is consistent with what lawprof99 had to say.)

By the way, this teammate said that Kong is incredible and that he would be surprised if Bol wasn't one of the best players on the team by his sophmore year.

theothegreat21
08-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I just got off the phone with Bol's teammate. He was speaking with another one of their teammates and that teammate said that Bol received some good news yesterday and that if all goes according to plan, he (Bol) will be in Spokane on Wednesday (Sept 3rd).

I know the information is third hand, but at least it's encouraging (and it is consistent with what lawprof99 had to say.)

By the way, this teammate said that Kong is incredible and that he would be surprised if Bol wasn't one of the best players on the team by his sophmore year.

Incredible news if true.....all of a sudden a class of 09 that includes Kong, Arop, Dower, and Elliott/Davies is a truly special class. Cant wait to hear more on this topic

MississppiZag
08-29-2008, 06:02 PM
This is great news, but i think i will wait to see if Bob knows anything. I hope it is true. Thanks North, this is great news.

roxdoc
08-29-2008, 06:19 PM
FWIW A few months ago I asked a staff member of Rep Cathy McMorris Rodgers office if she had been working on it. They said that no one had contacted them about it. I know that Cathy is close to the University and has helped in a number of other matters. My assumption at that time was that the bureaucratic fandango was not at a stage yet where GU was asking for help. Don't know about since then. Senators and Reps, particularly from opposite sides of the isle don't like to share success stories. At this point I don't care who claims the credit (if there is something to claim!), just as long as the job gets done! Fingers crossed and prayers being said!

hondo46
08-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Birddog
In the future submit your biased political opinions on the Crosby Board or keep them to yourself!

spudzag
08-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Birddog
In the future submit your biased political opinions on the Crosby Board or keep them to yourself!

Agreed

Gonzdb8
08-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Kitz, you get no argument from on that, it was the respected part that I was highlighting. I don't think "Barefoot Patty" is considered a heavyweight, and I don't think she is respected too much outside of the Evergreen State's borders. Like all legislators on the federal level, she can get a bureaucrat's attention.

senator murrays committees include what i would consider very influential assignments. i assume there are a lot of executive agencies involved in these visa decisions (but only a few that would block this for political reasons) and she sits on appropriations committees for a number of them. as others i suspect that if she were to get involved it could have significant impact.

Unbiased
08-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Agreed

Seconded

Birddog
08-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Birddog

Uhhmm Hondo et. al. There is no shortage of opinions on this or other forums. I don't care what committees she sits on, she is not considered a heavyweight, nor is she well respected. Respected yes, esp considering the high office she holds. She no doubt has clout with bureaucrats, I never meant that she didn't. One more thing, you've never been shy about your political opinions or jabs on this board, why should I. Is it because you disagree? So be it. If she gets the job done, then she will get more respect from me, and a big THANK YOU too.

bigblahla
08-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Birddog

No offense intended to anyone on this subject but I agree whole heartedly with Hondo on this one. Please no politics here.

For me this is heartbeat of Zagdom, all things Zag and I don't want to see it tarnished in an election year or any other time by what each of us might hold as political views whether we agree or disagree.

This is the place where we all share our common love for our team, the Zags, and GU. Let's keep it that way.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

El Voce
08-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Seconded

Make that a third! The basketball board should be a haven from all the political talk going on now days.

zag67
08-29-2008, 08:45 PM
First I am hoping for the best for Bol and that Sept 3rd is a great day for GU bball. And then I want to 4th the statement about politics. I really like reading about all of the recruiting and all of the player development, but not the politics.

duper
08-29-2008, 09:10 PM
This could be great new if true and we only have to wait till the third to find out, makes for a long weekend. As I have mentioned before I don't think the school or anybody close to the school can do anything. What if a recruit has failed his WASAL will we get Murray to throw her wieght around then to. It is and always has been up to Kong and his peolpe and it is starting to sound like they have done the reguired work. Now we need to get him in the gym and develop his game to a higher level then what I saw 2 yrs ago. Sounds like he may already have taken big strides.

BobZag
08-30-2008, 08:45 AM
I get no confirmation for this. As far as I've heard, Kong has no visa.

Rangerzag
08-30-2008, 11:12 AM
My guess is the third will come and go with no news.

Once again it is the time of year to ask:

When is the very last day (under the most extraordinary circumstances) to register for classes this fall term?

former1dog
08-30-2008, 12:40 PM
My completely uninformed guess would be September 10, as that is the last day to add a class?

http://www.gonzaga.edu/About/Academic-Calendar/

BobZag
08-30-2008, 02:40 PM
F1Dog is about right.

10 days after the first day of school.

cbbfanatic
08-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Incredible news if true.....all of a sudden a class of 09 that includes Kong, Arop, Dower, and Elliott/Davies is a truly special class. Cant wait to hear more on this topic

a good class, yes. truly special? come on...

i know that has become on of the most overused terms in sports these days, but its a huge stretch here. how many recruiting classes per year can be "truly special?"

ssorvszag
08-30-2008, 09:06 PM
www.petitiononline.com/tag/kong

I dont know if this has been posted before or if it helps. Just trying to do my part.

dnj116
08-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Man, I hope he's in spokane this week for classes. If this news is indeed correct I am very excited!!

MississppiZag
08-31-2008, 12:50 PM
I just don't see this working out, within the next 10 or so days. Hope i am wrong.