PDA

View Full Version : ESPN College Gameday Official Presser

CDC84
08-28-2008, 01:06 PM
AUSTIN, Texas -- On Wednesday, ESPN announced the eight sites for ESPN's weekly "College GameDay Driven by State Farm" men's college basketball series and the "Saturday Primetime" game-of-the-week telecast.

This is the fifth season for the college basketball version of the popular "College GameDay" series. The series features a pair of one-hour shows each Saturday at 11 a.m. Eastern (10 a.m. Central) and generally at 8 p.m. Eastern (7 p.m. Central), and it will originate from the site of the "Saturday Primetime" game for eight consecutive weeks. The shows will generally be presented from inside or around the arena.

Scheduled sites for College GameDay and Saturday Primetime:

Jan. 17, Chapel Hill, N.C. = Miami (Fla.) at North Carolina
Jan. 24, South Bend, Ind. = UConn at Notre Dame
Jan. 31, Knoxville, Tenn. = Florida at Tennessee
Feb. 7, Spokane, WA = Memphis at Gonzaga
Feb. 14, Madison, Wis. = Ohio State at Wisconsin
Feb. 21, Austin, TX = Oklahoma at Texas
Feb. 28, Berkeley, CA = UCLA at Cal
Mar. 7, Morgantown, WV = Louisville at West Virginia

Frazzle
08-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Is that game at the Arena for sure?

Oregon Zag
08-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks, CDC. That's going to be fun to watch.

CDC84
08-28-2008, 01:33 PM
As far as I know, the Spokane site has yet to be determined. The ball is most likely in Calipari's court. ESPN wants it at K2.

spudzag
08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
I hope it's at the Arena so we can all be there in person not via ESPN.

JLGutrocks
08-28-2008, 02:46 PM
It's at the arena.

BobZag
08-28-2008, 02:52 PM
I think, to 229's chagrin, it will, to 229's dismay, be in the Spokane Arena.

----------------------

5 years of these and GU will have been in 2 of them. Not bad for lil ol' Zags.

gu03alum
08-28-2008, 03:14 PM
It would be better to be at k2. The student section is more a part of the action that way. The arena is great in that it holds more people, but I think the atmosphere would be better at k2 for the national audience.

zagfan07
08-28-2008, 03:18 PM
If they let the general public into the college Gameday show, go check it out. It's a ton of fun! Digger's the man. He was dancing all over the place during commercial breaks last time. Bilas was trash talking with one of my buddies about his shoes too. Something about his buckles and the pilgrims...

Those guys are awesome!

cggonzaga
08-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I hope it's at the Arena so we can all be there in person not via ESPN.

While I understand you wanting it to be at the arena so you can attend I hope for just the opposite. I think it would be wonderful for the university and the program for the game to be at K2. A nationally televised game against an opponent in Memphis would look a lot better to future recruits if it was at K2. The atmosphere is way more "college" than the arena.

229SintoZag
08-28-2008, 03:33 PM
CDC if this is up to Cal, we need to start an email campaign. ESPN is 100% correct wanting this in K2.

Notwithstanding all the other debates we have had about the home schedule, this is really different.

College Gameday, above all, should be on campus and to my knowledge always has been without exception. If K2 was good enough for Stanford it is good enough for Memphis.

Anyone have Cal's email? The email for the Memphis AD, Director of Basketball ops, scheduler? Waterboy?

Thanks

CDC84
08-28-2008, 03:34 PM
There is another issue here.....and that's the hope that the Memphis/Gonzaga series will be renewed 4 more years. Like it or not, Calipari is adamant about the fact that the Fed Ex Forum is off campus, and he expects any return game to be off campus as well. I know he is pushing to have the return games in the Memphis/Tennessee series be played in Nashville. While it would be easy to get mad at Calipari, the continuation of the Memphis/Gonzaga series is more important - at least to me - than even ESPN College Gameday. I understand and respect the opinion of those who think GU ought to stand strong in defiance, but frankly, Memphis can just walk at any time, and unlike another program, they'll be immune to "chicken" criticism due to the fact that they've beaten the Zags 3x in a row, and have already "won" the 4 game series. I think the series it too important to the Gonzaga program to be rocking the boat too much. Memphis is about as much of a lock to make the NCAA tournament every year as any program at the D-1 level.

kyle dixon
08-28-2008, 05:23 PM
It just amazes me how far old Gon-zawga has come. We have went from nothing, to the Cinderella, to the squad that each college knows and understands and fans across the nation circle in to their NCAA bracket each year. This series is a great series, and I really want to see it renewed. It is good for our program and is a great tilt in the middle of the conference season. If it means playing in the arena, so be it. 11,000 strong with noise and cow bell will be quite the site to see.

You know it cracks me up when I consider our program. I remember reading in Brave Hearts how Fitz would drive a van in the middle of winter to the arena to play a higher profile school. I loved the part where the van door flew open and a myriad of basketballs rolled down the snowy lot. I think the times have changed, as I am sure the players utilize a different mode of transportation to get down there:)

MDABE80
08-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Look on the positive side guys! The goals are many..and are all achievable as long as GU is in this game and the game is in SPokane.

1. GU gets huge notoriety once again. Respect come from the team but moreso..the school itself. GU really DOES need a win.and this is the year for one.
2. Memphis is coming an awful long way to play us. It's got to be pain in the a** for them. Let's not be too picky. Remember this is an Elite8/FF team. We don't opportunities like this often......certain not a national TV. ALL eyes will be on this game. If they say NO....it would be a very bad turn for everyone.
3. Look at the teams appearing over the 8 weeks. We're lucky to even be in this category..........moreso considering what phase of the schedule we'll be in.
4. I'm thinking that GU gets a huge boost, wins a gme on MAJOR TV with the best commentators around. More money for GU too. If GU had wanted a facility like the Arena, we could have built it at the outset or added more to K2. Doesn't matter though.....campus is not set up for big attendance games.
This game only 1 mile from campus.we get the notoriety and respect..with out havoing built a 14K facility.

5. History of this game in the arena has yet to disappoint. It's a major venue and lets SPokane participate...like the city doesn't when games are at K2. It's overtime that we get this city involved.

WE ARE SOOOOOOO LUCKY TO PULL THIS ONE OFF!!!!Let's not blow it over small issues. We win no matter where the game is played.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Abe

VaBeachZAG
08-28-2008, 05:37 PM
The obvious compromise that has been mentioned on this board before is to create a side-court student section in the Area similar to K2. The obvious reason for not doing this is money (less paying fan seats). GU should take the small finacial hit and allow the side-court student section. 10,000 screaming fans and a rabid student section, now that would be a great Game Day show for the nation to see!

dnj116
08-28-2008, 08:50 PM
I was at the last GU- Memphis game at the arena on the floor, and I gotta tell you that was one of the most exciting games i've seen in person (minus morrison sinking the last second shot in the battle). Gotta say we'd be better off in the kennel, but we can pull out a win in either

CDC84
08-28-2008, 09:44 PM
FWIW....Joey Dorsey said after the game in 2007 that it was the craziest road environment he had ever been in. The fans did their job that day for sure. Unfortunately, CDR got the best of GU in the end.

ToreroStudent
08-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Anyone have Cal's email? The email for the Memphis AD, Director of Basketball ops, scheduler? Waterboy?

Thanks

Because I love you guys in a hatred way deep down I can grant you what you request. :)

R.C. Johnson, Athletic Director
901-678-5395
rjohnson@memphis.edu

Lish Trice, Assistant A.D.
901-678-3083
ltrice@memphis.edu

Rod Strickland, Director of Basketball Operations
901-678-2346
No Email listed

Josh Pastner, Asst Basketball Coach
901-678-4110
josh.pastner@memphis.edu

Lunetha Pryor, Basketball Office Coordinator
901-678-2346
lpryor@memphis.edu

John Calipari, Head Basketball Coach
901-678-2346
No Email, obviously

If you need anything else, let me know. Good luck in your quest!

former1dog
08-29-2008, 08:30 AM
If anyone has early leads on tickets for this game, send me a PM please.

kitzbuel
08-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Because I love you guys in a hatred way deep down I can grant you what you request. :)

R.C. Johnson, Athletic Director
901-678-5395
rjohnson@memphis.edu

Lish Trice, Assistant A.D.
901-678-3083
ltrice@memphis.edu

Rod Strickland, Director of Basketball Operations
901-678-2346
No Email listed

Josh Pastner, Asst Basketball Coach
901-678-4110
josh.pastner@memphis.edu

Lunetha Pryor, Basketball Office Coordinator
901-678-2346
lpryor@memphis.edu

John Calipari, Head Basketball Coach
901-678-2346
No Email, obviously

If you need anything else, let me know. Good luck in your quest!
Waterboy?