PDA

View Full Version : OT- Darnell Shumpert Commits to Arizona

NEZAGFAN
08-27-2008, 09:17 AM
6-foot-7, 195-pound power forward Darnell Shumpert entered his senior season at Santa Rita High School in Tucson as a complete unknown. He somehow managed to parlay the season into a full scholarship to Arizona.

Darnell Shumpert joins Arizona's 2008 class.
Shumpert averaged over 11 points, 11 rebounds and 10 blocks a game for 27-3 Santa Rita and midway through the season, he was offered a scholarship by UA interim head coach Kevin O'Neill.

Arizona head coach Lute Olson one upped that, offering Shumpert a scholarship on Tuesday. He walked into Olson's office and committed.

"I just committed," Shumpert said. "I was just in the office with coach Olson, Reggie Geary and coach (Mike) Dunlap. They want me to play with them. It's a good situation; it's what I always wanted. We're doing all the paperwork today to enroll."

Earlier in the summer, the UA coaches had been trying to get Shumpert to walk on, but he told GOAZCATS.com that he wasn't willing to do it. So it's no surprise how excited he was when he got the offer.

"When I got the scholarship offer I was ecstatic," he said. "I was doing back flips. They said they have a scholarship open and they needed some post help so that's what they wanted me for. I'm going to try and do whatever I can to help."

It's obviously a big deal for a kid from Tucson to get a scholarship offer to Arizona and Shumpert is definitely aware of how rare that is.

"It means everything," Shumpert said. "It's tradition in Tucson and everyone in Tucson wishes they could play for the U of A. Now that I have the opportunity, I'm going to take full advantage of it."

Shumpert has mostly looked at by low major D-I schools heading into his senior season, so for him to end up at Arizona is a huge surprise for everyone who has been following him over the past year.

"I never thought I had this opportunity," Shumpert said. "I knew I was good enough but I didn't think I would have the exposure to do this. I'm going to go out there every day and work as hard as I can."

kitzbuel
08-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Would sure like to see how Dower matches up against him.

BobZag
08-27-2008, 10:20 AM
UA likely had an open slot for a big when Greg Smith decommitted. UA wanted him to wallk on before that.

spudzag
08-27-2008, 02:50 PM
He didn't get much press. Hoopmasters and Rivals had him listing GU, but don't remember him getting any ink here. Seems pretty low profile for Zona.

Once and Future Zag
08-27-2008, 05:31 PM
This could be a good sign for Lute putting his money where his mouth is - by skipping the one-and-dones and going for players that can put in their 4 years, get a degree and contribute on the court.

Lute can recruit - so expect to see this guy make some noise.

Basketballthinker
08-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Is a stud. He will be a very productive player at Uof A for 4 years.