PDA

View Full Version : Compare Tinsley and Theodore

BobZag
03-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Scroll down to "Jordan Theodore Guards Protect Ya Neck" --

http://www.basketballspotlight.net/Website/Html/News%20Index%20(September%202006).htm

Brad Tinsley on YouTube --

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GCv0t_rLmRA

You need QuickTime to watch Theodore's video.

Soooo... Who's better?

GSL-KID
03-10-2007, 11:06 AM
So maybe it comes down to this.

1. Do we go after the Jersey kid to bring that type of game (ala Pargo's Chicago flavor) to the Zags. Also make a splash in that area of the country. For the future pipelines.

Or

2. Grab the Spink/Pendo type (Tinsley) that knows his role and does the little things that help teams win. And causes other teams coaches and fans fits saying how does a guy that look like that beat us to a loose ball?"

simply put
Do we need to add more ammo ???
Or avoid being like the Huskies not having enough role players???

GoZAGsMang
03-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Jordon wow!!!

GoZAGsMang
03-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Are you trying to tell us something Bob?

Nevtelen
03-10-2007, 11:36 AM
I would normally think BZ is just stirring us around, but with all the comments in the past day or two on these two players... Plus BZ's random "good mood" post the other day... Something's going on. As if we need more suspense this time of year... :)

Edit: Theodore would be a coup. Man, that kid looks great. However, intangibles are tough to see in video highlights. I remain torn, but I *might* have to go with Theodore. Speed like PMAC and skills like Pargo. Still, I'd be far from dissapointed with Tinsley.

EL MUSTACIO
03-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Agreed nevtelen, something's definetly up... maybe we landed one of the two? Bobzag?

Zagdawg
03-10-2007, 11:44 AM
They both look outstanding--

Either would be a fine Zag--

applezag
03-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I think we should think back to P-Mac's highlight film before we start using these things as a basis for our player evaluation. That thing was ridiculous. After watching P-Mac's HS film I thought we were getting an amazing player, but that just hasn't happened. I have watched Tinsley a couple of times, but not Theodore. When it comes to point guards in particular, they are even harder to evaluate whithout seeing themin the context of a game. What I really want to see is what kinds of mistakes these guys make and how often they occur. How is their decision-making? I don't get any feel for that in a highlight film. Yeah, it's all we have, but I can't make a definitive statement about Theodore. He might be a turnover machine, horrid shooter, and a lazy defender--I have no idea. I doubt he's that bad, but I have no sense of it.

As far as Tinsley goes, I am just not sure. He certainly has the intangibles. When I watched him he was an outstanding decision-maker, and really shot it pretty well. But I worry about us having a perimeter defender when he comes in that can keep guys in front of him. I havent' seen him challenged that way to know if he can do it. I don't think we would ever regret taking Tinsley, though.

wazZag
03-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Tough choice. Theodore looks ready to make an impact. He can penetrate and make the choice to either finish or dish. Having the opportunity to learn from Pargo could pay huge dividends in developing his game too. As for Tinsely, his skills seem less definable. He'd be a good addition, but I'm not sure what specific role he would play.

CDC84
03-10-2007, 12:38 PM
It is my understanding that this isn't a Gonzaga gets one or the other deal, which is where this thread discussion is heading......that, if anything, Gonzaga might take both. The one thing that is evident is that both guys are very different from one another. They complement each other. The worst thing in the world is when you have two guys on the same team that play the same position that are carbon copies in terms of playing style, athleticism and skill set. That wouldn't be the case here. If GU gets both, it allows them to have their backcourt set for awhile, and concentrate on landing some bigs.

AllezZags
03-10-2007, 12:38 PM
but, I have watched him play dozens of times and think he is just such a fantastic fit for Few's system. Obviously, he is not a true point guard like Theodore- but he is a fantastic combo guard (which work well in the Flex). He is not a pure spot up, dead-eye shooter, but is really quite good off the bounce. His defense is solid. Scrappy rebounder. Perhaps his most underrated talent is his passing ability. He has some of those same inherent qualities in passing that we are starting to see from Bouldin.

To me, he is a better "fit". This is not to disparage Theodore at all- because I am sure he would be really good as well. I am just a big fan of Tinsley for the same reason I have always been a Zag fan.

RebornZag
03-10-2007, 01:08 PM
They are not alike, as CDC says. And that's good. We will need toughness since Pendo will be leaving. Toughness is irreplaceable. And he reminds me a little of Bouldin in his passing ability, and Matt won't be around much longer I am afraid to say. Maybe one more year is all we'll get to watch him, and at the most two. We will need a Matt Bouldin replacement. Gray will be the Drav replacement, and Daye will be the Downs replacement. Don't underestimate Dustin Daye as a shooter/scorer. When I think of the guys coming in next year, I always seem to hum, "Oh Happy Day."

JAGzag
03-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Granted I'm no expert, but from what I've read and seen, it seems to me that Theodore is the next level of recruit that GU has been getting, or at least on par with some of our better hits. It seems he continues our program and development in the right direction while Brad seems like the type of player we used to shoot for.

AuntieZag
03-10-2007, 01:27 PM
how are they at the line? once dr is gone, who can sink it from the scratch when it matters? not anyone currently on the bench that i can think of. matt is iffy. pendo-eh.

spudzag
03-10-2007, 01:35 PM
JT first BT second. Take both. Focus on wide bodies in 09 when there will be 5 openings.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-10-2007, 01:43 PM
I like the "maybe they're both coming" vibes. If it happens, GU (Guard U.) would be alive and well for the next several years btwn Pargo, Bouldin, Gray, Theodore and Tinsley.

Rubbadub
03-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Wow, never seen any video of JT before. I have a soft spot for players that can go to that midrange runner instead of trying an impossible layup...Ok, well i've decided that we are going to get both of them. And God help the rest of the field when they play us in two or three years :D