PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Quandry, or not?

BobZag
03-10-2007, 10:20 AM
The more one watches the best teams in the country the more one realizes how important having great shooters are. The Zags have two in Raivio and Downs. And with Steven Gray coming in, he'll be another, or so fans hope.

The quandry is: Tinsley is a glue guy, a tough winner, no-nonsense, son of a coach, scrappy player with scoring skills but a bit slow of foot. And not a great outside shooter.

Theodore is a cat-quick defender with Pargo-like offensive moves to penetrate, but lacks Pargo's size and, like Tinsley, is not a bonafide outside shooter.

I'd love to see a deadeye shooter who can create his own shot, ala Redick, Acie Law, AJ Abrams, the Read kid from Memphis, Salim Stoudamire a few years back, Tujaun Porter at Oregon...

Does Gray fit that bill, and even if he does, is just Gray enough? Or might it be wise to go after a deluxe shooter.

Also, what happens if Poling's illness is never diagnosed and he simply cannot bulk up and develop into the post player he could be? You have to think of every possibility. Would it be wise to go hard after 6'10" Kenny Kadji, just in case? Or some other top-flight big?

former1dog
03-10-2007, 10:27 AM
I thought Austin Daye was a pretty decent shooter, Bob. Am I mistaken?

EL MUSTACIO
03-10-2007, 10:30 AM
U trying to tell us sometin BZ?

BobZag
03-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Daye is okay, more of a mid-range guy. His 3-point shooting is under 40%. I suppose if he really works on it like Adam did he could be above 40%, but long-range shooting isn't his forte'.

Nevtelen
03-10-2007, 10:39 AM
I seem to remember someone (CDC, I think?) post that Daye was a great shooter, but mostly from inside 15 feet or so. Either way, next year's team would be okay for outside shooting - Downs, Pendo (50% from 3 this season!), hopefully Gray, and (hopefully) Josh. Also, I really think Pargo will make himself a respectable outside shooter (maybe around the 40% mark) and I think Bouldin will be more consistent outside. He's been pretty good except for that one long slump. Finally, what about Ira? His 3-pt clip has been pretty good at the Juco level - hopefully it'll translate to D-I.

After that... well, it depends on who stays and who doesn't and whose game steps up to include good outside shooting. We really do need at least 2 legitamate outside threats, if you ask me. With only one, they can get smothered and it's a problem (like Raivio this year).

Edit: BZ beat to me to it! Oh well...

HillBillyZag
03-10-2007, 10:44 AM
I love it when you play devil's advocate BZ, it sure stirs thing up on the board. I'm inclined to agree with with you though, another gym-rat type dead-eye shooter would be good insurance. I also think that a skilled wide body such as Brockman ir Notre Dame's freshman Harandoty(sp?) to compliment our tall guy's would not be a boad way to go.

Nevtelen
03-10-2007, 10:46 AM
It seems like Sacre is a wide-body space-eater type... and athletic. And 7' Correct me if I'm wrong on this, I'm just going off of the few seconds of clips I've seen of him.

Akzag
03-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Brown finished shooting over 40% from 3 for the season. Granted, it wasn't on 100+ attempts, but it wasn't 4/10 either.

So that gives us a "big" with a legit outside touch, at least for two years.

By that time, hopefully someone else will have appeared on the radar.

Unbiased
03-10-2007, 11:23 AM
It seems like Sacre is a wide-body space-eater type... and athletic. And 7' Correct me if I'm wrong on this, I'm just going off of the few seconds of clips I've seen of him.

Sacre is extremely athletic - though he lacks polished offensive skills at the moment. His lateral movements are excellent for a man of his size. I think right now he could guard smaller forwards if necessary. He will be a great defender. I am sure with proper tutelage, by the time of his second year playing at Gonzaga, his offensive skills will be greatly improved. He is a mature intelligent young man.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-10-2007, 11:47 AM
I predict Bouldin will be a very good-to-great outside shooter, ala Blake Stepp (so long as he doesn't have any broken fingers).

Baldwinzag
03-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Good points BZ. Speaking of Kenny Kadji, what happened to GU's chances at receiving a committment for '08? Was it our verbal from Poling or the false hope while waiting for Babbitt? I recall that GU was high on Kadji's radar early on, yet it appears we have lost momentum with him as a prospect. Is he still considerd a potential recruit for us?

Kenny is now considered a highly touted Top-40 recruit for the Class of '08 and has received official offers from Memphis, Florida State, K State, USC, among others. Kadji has developed into a beastly presence with a 6'10 255lb frame and only a Junior in High School. His offensive game is a bit raw, yet he does have the ability to score, rebound, and move well for such a big-bodied player. He has been noted as having tremendous upside with potential NBA ability.

I have no idea what transpired with Kadji, yet I hope we did not choose Poling over Kadji, simply b/c of Poling's refined/advanced post game. Smooth post moves will only take you so far, especially if you don't have the body to establish position, post up, and unleash those moves. I love Poling as a prospect, yet BZ brings up a great point about Poling's ability to gain weight. I am optimistic and only time will tell, yet If he maintains his 6'10 195lb frame, it will be nearly impossible to develop his game at the next level. He is NOT Heytvelt, nor is he considered athletic enough to play the 3-4 like Heytvelt can get away with. His game/ability resembles a true Center, yet his body a Small forward. Not a great combination to be competitive at the D-1 level unless you're blessed with extreme athletism, alas Brandon Wright (UNC).

IMHO, I would choose a big-bodied, rebounding, shot-blocking force with an ability to score over a brittle, athletically challenged Post/Center with smooth moves any day(a great example was when Sacre faced Poling). However, I am by no means an evaluator of talent nor part of the GU coaching staff, so my opinion only goes so far. If Poling proves to have the ability to gain weight, then he has the chance to become the most efficient scoring big man GU has ever seen. I hope this is the case. Nevertheless, I have feeling we are choosing a Sean Mallon prospect over a Ronny Turiaf prospect at the HS level. Then again, maybe we never even had a choice.....

RebornZag
03-10-2007, 12:41 PM
I remember Kenny Kadji on our Board as well last Fall/Summer. He only had Gonzaga on his list of colleges he was interested in. I really liked everything I read about him. I got an image of him like the Bigs at UCLA, and I would like that. Rebounding is a Huge Key in basketball, and we will be losing Kuso and Pendo after next year. I think a great rebounder-shot blocker with an ability to score some, like Kadji would be a good addition in 08. I would take Kadji over Poling or someone like him. I'd also keep developing Foster IMO.

I think for a team like Gonzaga that the most important position on the team is the point guard. The point guard runs the offense. At the point, speed is a huge quality I'd want to see in my point guard. And just a little behind the point guard, at GU we need 3 pt shooters. Our offense has always been built around these two positions.

My take on this is to go for the point guard and great rebounder-defender in 08 first, and in 09 go after another 3 pt shooter. I think we will be set for the pure shooters in 08: Downs, Bouldin, Gray, Daye. Pargo will be leaving after '09 and we need one year to train the next great point guard....I'd go for Theodore. Maybe he'll be our Reborn Quintan Hall!!!

brasszag
03-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I like BZ's "or not" in the subject line.

Maybe no choices have to be made.

rawkmandale
03-10-2007, 01:58 PM
No one is mentioning the great kid coming in from Montana in 09. Is he regarded to be a pure shooter, or something else?

Angelo Roncalli
03-10-2007, 02:03 PM
No one is mentioning the great kid coming in from Montana in 09. Is he regarded to be a pure shooter, or something else?

Osweiler is a "play in the paint" banger.

BobZag
03-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Brock Osweiler reminds me a lot of Matthew Knight at LMU. An in-the-paint guy, 6'9" 225# now, with a shot out to 15-17 feet, but most adept at going up strong around the rim. Could grow to 6'10".

thickman1
03-10-2007, 04:03 PM
I really hope Brock turns out like a Jon Brockman. A real banger on the block who works non-stop on both ends of the court. I really wish Brockman was at GU..

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
03-10-2007, 09:08 PM
for an outside shooter? or is that just me?

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
03-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Can't seem to get edit function to work

Nevtelen
03-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Just you. He's been on a bit of a hot streak lately, but it'll never last. ;)

DrDrivel
03-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Are we really that sure that Osweiler's not going to be bitten by lure of big-time D-1 football?

guniverse
03-11-2007, 12:33 AM
i have seen the kid play first hand and i believe that he would have thirty a game if he were to play with a good cast around him who could get him the ball. he is intense and a great post player at his height. even if he does not grow more i think he couls resemble brock who i also wish could have been a bulldog. outside of gu he is my favorite player and would fit in great with the team but that is in the past and brock is in the future, my friend even started a facebook group were you can get all the info of brock we could find on the net. he is exciting and intense. just what we need in the future. viva la osweiler revolution!