PDA

View Full Version : The Game I'm Perhaps Most Wary Of

BobZag
08-25-2008, 09:38 AM
• Nevill, Utes pass toughness test
In his first year as Utah coach, Jim Boylen made an impression with his sideline intensity.

"I did not sit down one minute of one game. I felt my team needed that energy and that passion," he said. "I'm hard on my guys, but they know I love 'em. What I am trying to do is create a culture of toughness and accountability."

For the rest of it--

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=notebook/shootaround/mwc

This is what hurt the Zags last year: a lack of toughness. Hence my two word sig since the season ended.

zagfan1
08-25-2008, 09:50 AM
The Zags will be tougher this year than last. Austin Daye will want to win more games and progress further. Meech and Ira will also be there and will play tough. I don't think Utah will be a problem for the zags. But teams that can play a full game from start to finish will be a concern as our team tries to continue to get to that point

MississppiZag
08-25-2008, 09:52 AM
No reason we should lose to them. They look to be a very good team, but they lost their point guard(i think) and we bring so much talent. I just do not see us losing. It is at Utah though. The only games i am worried about are the Memphis, Arizona, Tennessee(2x's), and Michigan State. If we can win 3 out of those 5 we will be in great shape. We have shot of 26-4 before the postseason, if we play consistent this year.

CDC84
08-25-2008, 10:04 AM
That place will likely be packed with 15,000 fans....even with the students on break. The Utes have pulled off a number of top 25 upsets over the years on their home floor. It's not a comfortable game.

75Zag
08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Utah is a tough place to play, but the Zags played very well in the NCAA tournament at the Utah Arena a couple of years ago. The building should not be frightening to the staff.

My most feared game is the 1st round of the NCAAs. For whatever reason, it seems that when it comes to the fist round of the NCAAs in the past couple of years, GU is "snake bit" (apologies to the GU English Dept).

MississppiZag
08-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Very true

BobZag
08-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Utah whipped the Cougs down there two years ago and then lost to the Zags by only two last year. I know the game wasn't really a two point squeaker but all 5 starters return and it was Boylen's first year.

This game is dangerous.

MississppiZag
08-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Nah:)

dim4sum
08-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Last year the Zags had a tendency to fade in the second half with lots of standing around and Jeremy over-dribbling into traffic. Sensible movement without the ball creates offense. If Jeremy doesn't deliver Meech might soak up lots of his playing time. If it's a new leaner Jeremy, as some who have seen him suggest, I would expect more focused, thoughtful play.

OZZag
08-25-2008, 06:37 PM
No reason we should lose to them. They look to be a very good team, but they lost their point guard(i think) and we bring so much talent. I just do not see us losing. It is at Utah though. The only games i am worried about are the Memphis, Arizona, Tennessee(2x's), and Michigan State. If we can win 3 out of those 5 we will be in great shape. We have shot of 26-4 before the postseason, if we play consistent this year.

Utah lost their off the bench scorer in Johnnie Bryant, but have two point guards who played plenty of minutes last year. Look for Canadian Tyler Kepkay to have a bigger impact than he had last year. Tyler made the Canadian National team and played against some tough competition during the offseason. He should get plenty of confidence from this experience.

Das Zagger
08-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Since Boylen's transition from MSU he has upped that teams toughness. I had the opportunity to attend the Feb 16, 2008 game against SDSU decent crowd but not packed even though it was the 100 year anniversary game. I have a feeling that it will be a tad more crowded against GU and it isn't the easiest place to play at.

Boylen can bring that Utah program back, maybe not to Majerus and Company levels, but back in the NCAA tourney.

LongIslandZagFan
08-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Utah is not to be taken lightly. That could be a huge trap game for the boys.

ZagNative
08-27-2008, 12:13 PM
CHN has the Utes at #88 (http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/200809-utah-basketball-preview-88-72178) on their 144 Previews in 144 days:

Overall Rank: #88

Conference Rank: #5 Mountain West

2007-08: 18-15, 7-9, 6th

2007-08 postseason: CBI

Center Luke Nevill did not follow up his great sophomore campaign at Utah with anything special as a junior. He still managed to led the team with 15.2 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.6 blocks, but those numbers were worse than his 2006-2007 production. Even if Nevill does not live up to the lofty expectations set upon him, the 7-2 Australian will be a senior leader who can score consistently under the basket. Having Shaun Green by his side makes the frontcourt even more dangerous. Green is tough enough to battle on the glass, but he also has a nice touch on his outside shot and can stretch out the defense by stepping beyond the arc. That opens up plenty of space for Nevill and Kim
Who to Watch:

The point guard situation has not been very pretty lately in Salt Lake City. Hines might not be the answer right away, but he could work his way into the starting lineup if Luca Drca struggles. However, now as an upperclassman the versatile 6-5 Drca should be a little better at running the show. Tyler Kepkay could also play the point, but he is better off at the shooting guard spot, especially now that Bryant is not around. Kepkay will compete with Lawrence Borha and Carlon Brown for a starting gig on the wings. Kepkay and Borha are both consistent outside shooters and should have very productive seasons if they can take over some of Bryant’s outside shots and continue to shoot over 40 percent from long range. Brown had a good freshman campaign and started 29 games. He is not a good shooter by any means, but he is very athletic and can do plenty of damage around the rim and adds a major rebounding threat to the perimeter.
Projected Starting Five:

Luka Drca, Junior, Guard, 5.3 points per game

Lawrence Borha, Senior, Guard, 7.6 points per game

Carlon Brown, Sophomopre, Guard, 4.4 points per game

Shaun Green, Senior, Forward, 7.6 points per game

Luke Nevill, Senior, Center, 15.2 points per game

bartruff1
08-27-2008, 03:13 PM
And then, the next game.....

ZagNative
08-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Some of those Utah players, up close and personal, from last year's game:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Matt%20Bouldin/2007-12-31MattUtah3.jpg
Matty B knocking down a three-pointer over Luka Drea.

Matt scored 26 in that game. will he do it again?

Who steps up to the scary face challenge vs. Tyler Kepkay this year?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Pendo/2007-12-31PendoUtah.jpg

And here's to a big game for Josh, as seen here scoring over Luke Nevill:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Heytvelt/2007-12-31JoshUtahscoreoverNevill.jpg

Jeremy fighting through a screen by Shaun Green and Luka Drea:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Pargo/2007-12-31JeremyUtah.jpg