PDA

View Full Version : 12 Seed in San Jose

SageOfZagville
03-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Lunardi has us playing UNLV in San Jose.

Movin on up.. Could we move more?

ZagNative
03-10-2007, 08:10 AM
He's got us in Spokane. What could be better?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

RebornZag
03-10-2007, 08:20 AM
It's about time Joe has moved us where we belong. Is this what BZ was singing about yesterday....is he PROPHETIC? I've heard stories about him...

I like our match-up with UNLV. That will be a fun one. I still would like to play Notre Dame (but that is just downright selfish). It would be nice to see GU and Notre Dame in Spokane....rather then Maryland. However, Gonzaga does seem to attract those ACC schools in the NCAA'S. I will be singing "Oh what a beautiful morning. Oh what a beautiful day." tomorrow if we end up in Spokane. I had that intuitive inner feeling a couple of Months aga that we might be playing UNLV in March. I think they call it that "still, small voice." :D :D

BSUZagVike
03-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Could you imagine how pissed UNLV would be to have to play the Zags in Spokane.

SageOfZagville
03-10-2007, 08:25 AM
He's got us in Spokane. What could be better?

Wow, I didn't even see that. With our 10 losses I guess I was conditioned to not even being able to hope that the Zags could play in Spokane. That would make the tickets to the Arena a very hot item indeed. Wouldn't it be sweet to get a rematch with UCLA.

Nevtelen
03-10-2007, 08:26 AM
That would be soooo cool, but UNLV would NEVER stop complaining - seeing GU as a 12 seed and playing the game in Spokane. Wow. I really doubt the commitee would do that, but it would be _fantastic_ if so. I'm a lot more cautious than a lot of people on here about our chances in the Dance, but if we had this bracket, we'd be seeing UCLA in the Sweet 16.

RenoZag
03-10-2007, 08:28 AM

I think the odds of GU being in the Spokane pod are pretty remote, however ANY team that plays the Zags in such a circumstance will be highly indignant, citing unfair advantages, etc. . .happens every year: teams get to play opening weekend AND sweeet 16 games within a few hundred miles of campus.

Given GU's notorious frequent flyer schedule this season, I'm hoping they at least get to stay West of the Rockies. . .

madness
03-10-2007, 08:28 AM
The reason Lunardi has added this is because it could be exactly what the committee is thinking. A reward for the out of conference death march while still residing as a 12 seed.

As I said yesterday...we need to hope for a 11 or 12 seed for this to happen, if GU slips to a 13 seed, it cannot be possible.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-10-2007, 09:01 AM
great point madness...that was just what i was going to say...i have essentially given up trying to really figure out the selection committee's thought process...if we were able to play in spokane that is almost definately a reward for our grueling schedule..how sweet that would be to stay home for the 1st and maybe second rounds...seems to good to be true though....

BobZag
03-10-2007, 09:44 AM
I'd love to play Maryland in Spokane. I think GU matches up better with MD than with ND. I have my tickets, either way. Just hope we don't shuffle off to Buffalo. ;)

Zagdawg
03-10-2007, 09:51 AM
I see Oregon coming to Spokane-- I see Wash State going to California--
And I think they might ship the Zags back east.

BobZag
03-10-2007, 09:52 AM

Yes, about as pissed as 6 seed Gonzaga was having to play 11 seed Wyoming at altitude in Albuquerque. ;)

Thomas_Sutpen
03-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Just kidding.

Seriously, though, it makes no difference where Lunardi, et. al., put us. We'll be where we'll be, and we won't know until Sunday. I for one, will accept nothing less than a 16 seed.

--the play's the thing,
Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king.

BobZag
03-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Utica or Attica?

RebornZag
03-10-2007, 10:54 AM
I agree wholeheartedly BZ. Zags match up great with Maryland, and our record against ACC is not bad at all. And didn't we play Maryland one year in the Dance? And I think we took 'em (which actually means nothing). It's just fun to jabber the game before the announcement.

I love Bracketology on Sunday afternoon. I feel like it's like waiting for a game, and in a way it's just about as big as a game. I DO FEEL it is very important both who you play and where you play the game. Very important.

LIke I said before, the one thing in our favor is that we played, not only such a tough OOC schedule, but that most games were on the Road. The Committee preaches how important it is to do so, and if they don't reward those who do it, then, as I think Bob said, teams like GU will stop doing it. And I think it's great for college basketball to have teams go at each other in the preseason. I think the players love it, and I think all basketball fans do as well. GU vs Duke!!! GU vs UNC!! GU vs Texas!!! GU vs any Elite Program!!! The country loves to see it....THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD took on whoever wanted a piece of us....and I think we are now reaping the rewards....And seeding is only one....The others will come when we enter the tournament.

J-Lo
03-10-2007, 11:01 AM
I must be mistaken... but my understanding was that if you're not in the 1-4 seeds, the pod system mandated that you had to be somewhere else?

Thomas_Sutpen
03-10-2007, 11:26 AM
I must be mistaken... but my understanding was that if you're not in the 1-4 seeds, the pod system mandated that you had to be somewhere else?

I think they work their way down the seeding, trying to place teams close to home. Of course other rules (avoiding conference teams, etc.) take precedence. By the time they get to the lower seeds, it's not likely to happen, but I suppose it could.

I'm guessing there's a 2.7% chance GU plays in Spokane. If it happens, the 5 (or 4 or 3) seed's coach will go ballistic, I'm sure.

ZagNative
03-10-2007, 11:30 AM
No, I don't think that's the case. Here are the actual NCAA rules (http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball/mens/story/6985142). Of course, like all things NCAA, the rules are difficult for me to digest. I'm just glad I'm not on the committee that not only has to understand this stuff but must apply the rules fairly.

Nevtelen
03-10-2007, 11:34 AM
I think they work their way down the seeding, trying to place teams close to home. Of course other rules (avoiding conference teams, etc.) take precedence. By the time they get to the lower seeds, it's not likely to happen, but I suppose it could.

I'm guessing there's a 2.7% chance GU plays in Spokane. If it happens, the 5 (or 4 or 3) seed's coach will go ballistic, I'm sure.

We couldn't play in Spokane vs a 3 or 4 seed, but we could do it against a 5 or lower seed since they're not protected. I really doubt the comitee would allow it, but it is techincally possible.

madness
03-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Another wrinkle is that if GU plays a 5 seed, a 4 seed must also be in Spokane, which means that seed would be protected: as in, the winner of the 5-12 and 4-13 play each other.

After perusing certain options, that protected 4 seed in Spokane should be Oregon (at least one of the 8 teams)...so...it could make sense that if GU plays a 5, Oregon might be sitting there in the second round. Interesting, yes...and I would love to see it as I will be there with the fam.

NorthoftheBorder
03-10-2007, 12:08 PM
According to the NCAA procedure manual for placing teams in regions, if a team is seeded #5 or higher it won't be placed at a location that will give it's opponent a home crowd advantage.

16. To ensure equitable competitive opportunities, the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first five lines at a potential “home-crowd disadvantage” in the first round.

#5 seeds play #12 seeds.

That means Gonzaga would have to be seeded #11 or higher to have a chance to play in Spokane.

Right now Lunardi has Gonzaga as a #12 seed - which means no Spokane

He has Illinois, Purdue, Texas Tech & Old Dominion as the #11 seeds.

lothar98zag
03-10-2007, 03:47 PM
NotB is correct. GU can't play in Spokane as a 12 seed.