PDA

View Full Version : The Redeem Team - Road to Redemption

ZaggyStardust
08-19-2008, 12:54 PM
This is a wonderful 5 part video series about the Redeem Team that truly showcases the journey this team has been on. I am now a big fan of Team USA and this group of players. Very fun and inspiring to watch...

http://www.usabasketball.com/r2r/

Also, really illustrates why Coach K is such a great Coach/Leader.

(Mods, feel free to move this if you must - just thought it would get more looks here...)

BroncoZAG615
08-20-2008, 06:02 AM
How bout that performance against Austrailia?

I listened to the game on the radio this morning and it just seems like there is no possible way that Team USA could lose the gold medal. They are too deep and can throw so many different combinations out on the court. Scary good team.

Patty Mills is really turning some heads though...very solid throughout the tournament.

CDC84
08-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Mills was the second leading scorer in the game: 20 points on 7/16 shooting.

The key with him is being able to perform like that on a consistent basis. Then again, he just turned 20 years old. He's still a young player.

JohnOGU
08-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Coach K gave him some pretty high praises. Said he was glad Duke didnt play St. Mary's this year because of him. Also said he had NBA potential, without a doubt. Even Kobe and Kidd were praising him. Story's on the USA Basketball website. Be an interesting season in the WCC with him.

Zagdawg
08-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Hopefully Pargo takes advantage of the opportunities and takes up the challenge to show how he can perform against a designated future NBA performer in our WCC games.
Also maybe with the attention Mills will be seeing from his performance in the Olympics the rest of the WCC can reap a bit of the benefit with some added air time.

229SintoZag
08-20-2008, 01:55 PM
The Olympic games are no venue for NBA basketball. I watch and follow the Olympics to see athletes I don't have to see every day on ESPN, in my sports page, and in the police blotter.

No knock on this team or the dream team or whatever, but (call me old school) I see guys like Kobe and Lebron and Wade out there in games in the Olympics and it just doesn't fit. Maybe it's something about the fact that each of these guys is worth hundreds of millions, or the fact that their world is so much about promotion and marketing and advertising, etc., but for me, I really have a hard time caring whether this team "redeems" the USA or not. We get solid NBA inundation from November through the end of June every year. One of the nice things about the summer is no NBA.

What next--Tim Donaghy reffing in the Olympics?

Give me some track, some field, some table tennis, some rowing, gymnastics, Christ, last night I even found myself watching frickin BMX while I was up fixing my wife's virus-infected laptop until almost 3 am. One of the reasons the Olympics are so cool is you get to see top athletes in a host of sports that are not regularly promoted at the commercial level. A good rule of thumb is that if you see people at the Olympics who you already know outside of the Olympics from other professional sports participation, those athletes probably should not be at the Olympics. And because of timing this is really only an issue with hoops, because the NFL is not an Olympic sport and baseball is in the heat of penant races about now.

But for me, I get enough of the NBA during NBA season, and would be rather pleased if we had a rule that the "NBA" Olympics not be televised. It steals media time and public interest from other true Olympic type athletes. Enough already.

StocktonIsMyHero
08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
So Sinto, where do you draw the line? Some of the world's biggest soccer stars are playing, clearly recognizable in their home countries. Is it a bad thing that Rafa Nadal is playing for the gold in tennis? And every other basketball team has players that play for their own professional leagues. Should Pau Gasol be allowed to play for Spain but LeBron not play for USA?

I think it's totally disingenuous to say that those guys (Kobe, LeBron, etc.) shouldn't be able to play for their country because they are also in the NBA. Yeah, it was fun when we could win the gold medal with college kids wearing Converse All-Stars and sporting flattops, but we can't do that anymore.

I think that your main problem is with NBA "thugs" or whatever and not with them being pros. Your little "police blotter" aside confirms that. But that's silly... I don't know how a basketball fan can't like guys like Wade, LeBron, Chris Paul, etc. Kobe I can understand and maybe even Carmello, but the rest of the roster? Come on... totally not fair to lump them together as criminals and bad seeds or whatever.

If you don't want to watch the basketball (which has been on in the early AM for the most part anyway, so no one has really been able to watch it), you can turn it to USA, Oxygen, MSNBC, CNBC, etc etc to see the synchronized swimming and archery and whatever else.

For me... I love seeing the US send out our best guys to go and try and win the gold.

ZaggyStardust
08-20-2008, 04:19 PM
No knock on this team or the dream team or whatever, but (call me old school) I see guys like Kobe and Lebron and Wade out there in games in the Olympics and it just doesn't fit. Maybe it's something about the fact that each of these guys is worth hundreds of millions, or the fact that their world is so much about promotion and marketing and advertising, etc.,

I'm wondering, Sinto, if you happened to watch the series that was the subject of this thread in the first place. (Don't worry, that was rhetorical) Because, if you had, I think you might have seen a whole different side to the guys you reference.

229SintoZag
08-21-2008, 08:43 AM
So Sinto, where do you draw the line? Some of the world's biggest soccer stars are playing, clearly recognizable in their home countries. Is it a bad thing that Rafa Nadal is playing for the gold in tennis? And every other basketball team has players that play for their own professional leagues. Should Pau Gasol be allowed to play for Spain but LeBron not play for USA?

I think it's totally disingenuous to say that those guys (Kobe, LeBron, etc.) shouldn't be able to play for their country because they are also in the NBA. Yeah, it was fun when we could win the gold medal with college kids wearing Converse All-Stars and sporting flattops, but we can't do that anymore.

I think that your main problem is with NBA "thugs" or whatever and not with them being pros. Your little "police blotter" aside confirms that. But that's silly... I don't know how a basketball fan can't like guys like Wade, LeBron, Chris Paul, etc. Kobe I can understand and maybe even Carmello, but the rest of the roster? Come on... totally not fair to lump them together as criminals and bad seeds or whatever.

If you don't want to watch the basketball (which has been on in the early AM for the most part anyway, so no one has really been able to watch it), you can turn it to USA, Oxygen, MSNBC, CNBC, etc etc to see the synchronized swimming and archery and whatever else.

For me... I love seeing the US send out our best guys to go and try and win the gold.

Stockton you are wrong. I didn't call anyone a thug, you did. My problem is not with the team, it is with the Olympics.

If the IOC is going to let the Olympics be a venue for NBA hoops so be it. And as long as they are, I do not fault our team for putting up our best players.

But I still think it is just not really what the Olympics were or are about, or at least what they used to be.

And I agree that this applies to soccer and tennis and other pro sports as well.

No knock on these guys. The referece to the police blotter was intended as a light hearted jab. You are correct about this team--so far, Kobe is just an adulterer, not a rapist, and both LeBron and Melo both seemd to have handled their reckless driving and dui charges well.

Basically, i support the NBA players from USA so long as the Olympics continues to be an NBA venue. FWIW, I would rather not see Dirk Nowitzki playing for Germany either.

BroncoZAG615
08-21-2008, 09:29 AM
The Olympics are about athletes representing their countries. Just because these athletes are professional athletes it should not mean that they can't represent their country. I am in complete agreement with Stockton on this one.

Also, the Olympics is a spectacle and what bigger spectacle has there been then seeing the Chinese reaction to the United States basketball team. I think it's GREAT. It is probably most of those people's only chance to see Kobe Bryant or LeBron James. It's been a smashing success and we have been a even greater success.

The main reason I support NBA players in the Olympics is because there would be a mass riot by NBA players overseas if they could not represent their countries. These players did not grow up wanting to be in the NBA. They grew up wanting to win gold at the Olympics. Olympic dreams made them reach the NBA and you can bet that guys like Yao Ming and Ginobli and all the other foreign NBA players would FLIP out if they were denied the Olympics because we don't think it should be an NBA platform.

The Olympics is a platform so that the exposure of basketball can get even larger. That is fine by me. We can't even understand the importance of international competition to the guys in Asia and Europe.

NBA players should and will always play the Olympics. It's good for basketball and it's good for our players to get this experience.

I know you didn't argue this 229 but I love how people think we should play with our amatuer basketball players in the Olympics. We would come nowhere near the medal round and would be hard pressed to qualify.

StocktonIsMyHero
08-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Sinto, spare me this "what the Olympics used to be about" crap.

Want to know what the Olympics used to be about? The AAU and American Olympic Committee abusing athletes to a ridiculous level. Read up on Steve Prefontaine and how he was treated. They were making millions putting on these meets and the organizers were taking tons off the top by guaranteeing that Pre would run in a certain race, yet Pre was given $3 a day and no appearance fees or else he would lose his amatuer status.

Yeah... that's what I want to go back to. Athletes being completely taken advantage of.

Fact of the matter is that just about every competitive athlete in the Olympics is a professional that has lucrative endorsement deals.

I mean... your vision for the ideal Olympics sounds like it would preclude everyone but high school athletes. That might be charming, but it wouldn't interest me at all. Call me crazy, but I'd rather see the best athletes in the world competing for their countries regardless of what their day job is.

229SintoZag
08-21-2008, 11:49 AM
But I still think us putting up our amateurs and still winning against other countries' 'pros' was a lot more fun.

I still believe in miracles.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTev5pSuYLk

Stockton not sure what you're point is with Pre-doesn't seem to have a lot to do with this topic. I have no problem with paying athletes through promo deals, sponsorships, etc. I think it is great. That is not my gripe.

I just don't want to watch a bunch of NBA guys when I am trying to watch the Olympics, that's all. And if you think foreign players are motivated more by getting Olympic gold than by earning millions (whether NBA or in other leagues), I have a small bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you.

JohnOGU
08-21-2008, 11:55 AM
I agree. 229, you realize that excluding NBA players basically removes the best players of every country from the olympics. The only difference between players like Kobe and Lebron, and NCAA players is talent. nothing more. These are all kids wanting to represent their country. The best of the best play. Thats what it comes down to.

BroncoZAG615
08-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Not interested in buying the Brooklyn Bridge, 229, and I don't appreciate the fact that you are implying I am ignorant and/or gullible.

Why don't you ask Yao Ming how much the Olympics meant to him? When he got hurt and his Olympics became questioned, he was crushed. He said that missing the NBA season was terrible but the thought of not being able to represent his country in the Summer Games was even worse. The guys playing now did not grow up with dreams of the NBA. They were probably soccer players that saw Olympic basketball and International basketball and decided to pick that up. Yao Ming is the biggest and most recognizable athlete on the face of this planet and I would bet that representing his country is more important to him than wearing a Houston Rockets uniform.

I'm sure making millions is a motivator, I'm not as dumb as you think I am. But I think Americans think on a COMPLETELY different wavelength than foreign-born players.

You can't tell someone that because they make a million dollars in their profession, they can't represent their country. Sleep until 10 A.M. on gamedays and I'm sure you won't hear more than 10 mins a day about USA basketball.

229SintoZag
08-21-2008, 12:14 PM
I do not think you are ignorant or gullible.

I also, however, do not think guys in foreign lands train to become elite basketball players only to reach the Olympics, and then just happen to back into NBA careers and make millions as a collateral benefit or as an afterthought.

I am sure the Olympics means a lot to them all, US and foreign players alike. Never doubted that. But it also means a lot to make millions and secure financial peace of mind for life and to live in the lap of luxury with nary an economic worry in the world.

I just preferred the old system, that's all. We just have to agree to disagree on this one. Under the current scenario the miracle on ice would never have happened. I for one think that would have been a shame.

229SintoZag
08-21-2008, 12:17 PM
I agree. 229, you realize that excluding NBA players basically removes the best players of every country from the olympics. The only difference between players like Kobe and Lebron, and NCAA players is talent. nothing more. These are all kids wanting to represent their country. The best of the best play. Thats what it comes down to.

If true, how do you explain our performance in 2004? Were all those Greeks NBA players?

Basketball now is different. The NBA is just one of several elite leagues and the European especially are coming to be on par, both in terms of skilled players and in terms of $$ being offered.

BroncoZAG615
08-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Agree to diasgree, indeed.

Back to Gonzaga basketball!

kitzbuel
08-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Well, I guess the good news is that Olympic basketball is on at some ungodly early hour on MSNBC while prime time NBC is chock full of track, some field, some table tennis, some rowing, gymnastics,and even frickin BMX. :)

Not to mention beach vollyball.

deathchina
08-21-2008, 01:12 PM
"The NBA is just one of several elite leagues and the European especially are coming to be on par, both in terms of skilled players and in terms of $$ being offered."

No offense to Josh Childress, but the fact he received the most lucrative contract in the history of European basketball tells me something.

As for the whole "olympic ideal" talk, I think we have to understand a key difference between NBA athletes and people like Usain Bolt or Mike Phelps. Phelps, Bolt, Shawn Johnson, they grow up dreaming of getting gold medals. Not only is this the BIGGEST STAGE for their respective sports, but it is their BIGGEST PAYDAY. Watch the endorsements begin to role in for the athletes that won gold medals. Their dream isn't simply to represent their country, it's to represent and get rich. This is their chance every four years to strike it big. How many more people know Usain Bolt now? Or Nastia and Shawn and Jason Lezak?

Guys like Kobe, Lebron, etc, they have no real financial motivation to do the olympics. The pinnacle of their profession is NOT the olympics, they instead grow up dreaming of playing in the NBA. They are playing for Team USA simply for pride, and to represent their country. If anything, I think they represent the olympic ideal MORE than someone like Mike Phelps, who is already cashing in on the new endorsement deals before the Olympics have even finished. Team USA has a lot more to lose than gain from their performance in Beijing. If they win easily, you're still gonna have guys saying "well what took so long?" or "they'll lose next time around". If they lose it's a whole new round of "pampered athletes" and "the NBA sucks, finally we have proof! Yes!!!". None of the other athletes on Team USA have to deal with this cynicism.

My take on it anyways...

229SintoZag
08-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Well, I guess the good news is that Olympic basketball is on at some ungodly early hour on MSNBC while prime time NBC is chock full of track, some field, some table tennis, some rowing, gymnastics,and even frickin BMX. :)

Not to mention beach vollyball.

Don't get me started on beach volleyball.

Without deviating too much--can someone tell me why beach volleyball players wear sunglasses without lenses, just frames? What is the point? I am out of the loop obviously and dont get it.

FWIW, I agree with you kitz--we've had waaaaaaay too much prime time coverage from NBC of beach volleyball this Olympics...

StocktonIsMyHero
08-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Without deviating too much--can someone tell me why beach volleyball players wear sunglasses without lenses, just frames? What is the point? I am out of the loop obviously and dont get it.

Actually, I can:

You may have noticed that American beach volleyballers Phil Dalhausser and Todd Rogers have been wearing sunglass frames with no lenses (no, they're not clear lenses -- they're really just lens-free frames). Why? Because their lenses were fogging up, but they didn't want to scrap the eyewear altogether because they have an endorsement deal with Oakley. So going with the plain frames allows them to keep wearing the Oakley "O."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/080814

But of course, according to Sinto, those guys are what the Olympics should be all about and LeBron and Dwyane Wade definitely aren't.

229SintoZag
08-21-2008, 03:35 PM
But of course, according to Sinto, those guys are what the Olympics should be all about and LeBron and Dwyane Wade definitely aren't.

Really? Is that what Sinto said in this thread when he gave his opinion on endorsements in the post after your story about Pre?

Read my response again and tell me how your statement makes one iota of sense.

StocktonIsMyHero
08-21-2008, 04:09 PM
I think it makes plenty of iotas of sense. You don't disagree with the statement, do you? You aren't on here griping away about beach volleyball players. You are griping about NBA guys.

You already said that you don't think having NBA guys playing is what the Olympics "should" be all about.

But you obviously have no problem with beach vollyeball players wearing lenseless glasses, even when it turns out they are doing it just for their sponsors.

So I guess the real question, Sinto... is what - according to you - should the Olympics be all about?

Sorry, but I still think your main problem is with the NBA and its players. All your other arguments are totally mealy-mouthed, because you haven't laid down an opinion on guys like Lionel Messi and Rafa Nadal, et al.