PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Scheduling Tidbit

ZaggyStardust
08-17-2008, 01:44 PM
From an article about Western Kentucky.

Q: After the Sweet 16 run, has there been greater interest from or more discussions with, say, ESPN about televising men’s basketball games?

A: I don’t know that we’ve necessarily seen it from that standpoint, because a lot of it runs through our conference. But I think where we’ve seen it is that we’ve talked seriously with Gonzaga, we’re talking to Arkansas, Mississippi State, Davidson, Xavier, Wake Forest - these are serious conversations about home-and-home games. Not playing one, get bought, go there, or not a two-for-one. They’re serious conversations.

When you look at Gonzaga, Southern Illinois, Xavier - schools love to play them, because if you are lucky to beat them, that’s a heck of a win. And if you don’t have success against them, nobody in their right mind would come close to saying, “How did you let them beat you?” So it’s a great opponent. WKU, in the eyes of the overwhelming majority of college basketball, is now a great opponent, because it’s a Sweet 16 team.

I especially like the second paragraph of the answer!

http://bgdailynews.com/articles/2008/08/17/sports/sports2.txt

Oregon Zag
08-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Good find, ZaggyS. Thanks!

MississppiZag
08-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Anyone know if we might actually play them? That would be great.

CDC84
08-17-2008, 04:45 PM
My first preference has been and always will be Gonzaga/Xavier.......it just makes sense, and even more so now that it's been established that Coach Sean Miller isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Kiddwell
08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
I like Western Kentucky. After their tough showing vs. the Zags in Alaska last year, I picked them to advance a ways in March's Big Dance.

A home & home versus those guys would be great. And, to chime in with CDC, getting a home & home versus Xavier would also be outstanding. The latter matchup might attract the ESPN boys to do another GameDay in Spokane (in the MAC too).

:]