PDA

View Full Version : OT- Jannero Pargo to Europe

theothegreat21
08-15-2008, 02:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3537498

Looks like he is following the ever popular trend of going to Europe for more money. Good luck to Jannero, but I will miss watching him be a great spark behind Chris Paul

Zagdawg
08-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Well I am happy for him-- but this means he will probably not be here for the Toyota event in Spokane. :(

BobZag
08-15-2008, 02:35 PM
The migration continues. More power to these players. I hope Jannero has some great seasons over there and sees the world.

75Zag
08-15-2008, 03:33 PM
I wish these guys well. As others have suggested, I will miss the opportunity to see these fine young men play basketball in the NBA, but I salute them for taking advantage of the opportunities presented by the "globalization" of sports.

I know the two topics are not related, but as more and more quality players turn their back on the NBA and move to play in Europe, perhaps the NBA will become a bit more humble in their approach to players, franchise cities, etc. It would be nice to see.

ssorvszag
08-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I wonder how much money L.A would be willing to pay kobe to stay a laker..
soon europe will offering some of our nba greats as bball gets more and more popular. mr. stern better step up to the plate soon.

VinnyZag
08-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Has anyone read "Can I Keep My Jersey"? I guess Pargo and Paul Shirley will have something to talk about now.

theothegreat21
08-15-2008, 04:58 PM
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox

And now Patrick beverley will be heading overseas as well.....interesting decision by him

Gonzdb8
08-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I wonder how much money L.A would be willing to pay kobe to stay a laker..
soon europe will offering some of our nba greats as bball gets more and more popular. mr. stern better step up to the plate soon.

the salary cap/cba would prevent the lakers (or any other team) from offering kobe (or lbj with the cavs) anywhere near what some of the euro teams are prepared to offer. i would suspect that an extra 20 million per year is a powerful motivator, even for guys as wealthy as kobe or lbj.

VinnyZag
08-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Here's my theory about Kobe-LeBron level players going to Europe: Their 'corporate partners,' i.e. the Nikes and Addidases of the world, would never allow it. They need those guys to be getting their big exposure here in the U.S., not in Moscow or Rome or Madrid.

MedZag
08-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Here's my theory about Kobe-LeBron level players going to Europe: Their 'corporate partners,' i.e. the Nikes and Addidases of the world, would never allow it. They need those guys to be getting their big exposure here in the U.S., not in Moscow or Rome or Madrid.

Agreed. And the endorsement money is the real bread and butter for that echelon of athlete.

zagfan24
08-15-2008, 08:01 PM
While I agree we probably won't be losing any elite athletes, I also think it's an incredible trend that is starting. Beyond Brandon Jennings, and losing foreign-born NBA players who went back (or at least closer) to their home countries, now we see Childress and Pargo head elsewhere. I wonder where the line will be drawn between the average and elite in terms of who leaves and who stays -- especially when it comes to foreign born players? Further, the impact that this will have on the next CBA, and how an improved dollar will affect this. Interesting issues abound...not to mention that this makes the Olympics just a bit more intriguing.

JLGutrocks
08-15-2008, 10:36 PM
More power to 'em and good luck to DD in Italy (although I was looking forward to playing poker with him). Competition breeds excellence.

krozman
08-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Am I the only person who can't stand watching the NBA, but loves college basketball?

Let them all play in europe IMO. Learn a language. Marry an italian. Eat some Gelato. It's not like they're going to starve with all the money they're making.

BobZag
08-16-2008, 04:48 PM
How wealthy are companies like Armani and Benetton?

zagfan24
08-17-2008, 07:29 PM

I believe your little "theory" was just blown up by a certain Shawn Kemp ;) Lord only knows how many kids he'll soon have running around Europe

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3539904

RenoZag
08-17-2008, 08:53 PM
The current SI has an Alexander Wolff piece on the NBA's interest in expanding its reach into Asia:

"The NBA is poised to exploit the Beijing Games with a fresh push in China this fall. Earlier this year Hong Kong businessman Li Ka-shing joined ESPN and three other parties in investing $253 million for an 11% stake in NBA China, the first of the NBA's many global consulates to become a business enterprise in its own right."

From the same story:

As part of a larger initiative to promote healthy lifestyles, the Chinese government built 60,000 outdoor basketball courts last year and wants to lay down another 700,000 over the next decade so that every village has one.

There are what, a billion people in China ? That's a lot of sneakers. . .

zag944
08-18-2008, 08:34 AM
do they not sell Nikes in Europe?

cjm720
08-18-2008, 08:56 AM
David Stern's greed machine is backfiring on him. This is good for basketball, bad for NBA. Congrats Janero!

GO ZAGS!!!

finechina2003
08-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Am I the only person who can't stand watching the NBA, but loves college basketball?

My sentiments exactly Krozman!