PDA

View Full Version : Avellino names Dan Dickau at point guard

ZagNative
08-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Per Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/34419/180):

http://www.euroleague.net/resourceserver/14838/d65c5824-e1ca-4139-bf72-e1b1f465110e/98a/rglang/en-US/filename/d65.jpg

Avellino signed veteran point guard Dan Dickau to be its starting playmaker, the club announced Tuesday. Dickau (183, 29) will make his Euroleague debut with Avellino, which is also playing in Europe's top club competition for the first time. He arrives from the Los Angeles Clippers of the NBA, where he averaged 5.3 points and 2.6 assists in 67 games last season. Overall he has appeared in 300 NBA regular season games with six different teams over the past six seasons. His best individual season came with New Orleans in the 2004-05 seasons when he averaged 12.2 points and 5.2 assists in 67 appearances.

"Our aim was to find a player that could make a difference and dictate the tempo of our team," club president Vincenzo Ercolino. "In the end we managed to bring Dan Dickau to Avellino. He is a serious professional with NBA experience. We have nothing to envy of any other playmaker that arrived in Italy this year."Southern Italy ... Are we talking some great buffalo Mozzarella? Ooh! ZN feels a travelogue coming on!

GO DAN! gO AVELLINO!

Edited to add: No Buffalo Mozzarella, at least not like that found in the way south area of Paestum. Looks like Avellino is nearer to Naples, per Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avellino).

theothegreat21
08-12-2008, 01:28 PM
I love the last line in that article.....it seems to me to be a pretty clear shot at Brandon Jennings

VinnyZag
08-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I don't know a lot about European basketball, but from what I DO know, it seems perfect for Dickau.

gamagin
08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Best to Dan and the beautiful Dickau family, too.

Zag 77
08-12-2008, 03:27 PM
:) At least the pizza is decent there. This is really a nice place to go play. Not too far from Napoli, and Mt. Vesuvius hardly ever erupts.

Compared to Russia, this is like going to heaven, and chances are he probably will actually get paid what they promise.

They appreciate their basketball there, and his family can go ,and enjoy themselves with him. The Euroleague is pretty high quality.

All in all, this is a good deal for him. He better talk to Santangelo and Violette about their experiences there.

azzagfan
08-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Don't know about Avellino, but Naples only appears to be heaven from a good distance. The closer you get to the city, the more you realize you've nearly entered Hell.

Dan, one piece of advice, pay the kids to watch your car...the alternative is far worse.

ZagNative
08-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Another blurb aout Dan, this one from Hoopsworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9750) ...

Dickau Lands in Italy

Another NBA player is making the switch to Euroleague ball, with Italy's Avellino announcing this afternoon that they have signed free agent point guard Dan Dickau.

"Our aim was to find a player that could make a difference and dictate the tempo of our team," club president Vincenzo Ercolino said in a statement. "In the end we managed to bring Dan Dickau to Avellino. He is a serious professional with NBA experience. We have nothing to envy of any other playmaker that arrived in Italy this year."

Dickau becomes the third free agent to bolt for Europe this summer, following in the footsteps of Atlanta's Josh Childress and journeyman Earl Boykins.Actually, I only posted it to sneak in this bit about my favorite non-Zag NBA player, who is slated to play in the Dickau/Morrison Classic in MacCarthey Athletic Center on September 4:

Unconfirmed reports suggest that the Suns are also in the hunt for Janerro Pargo, who has an offer on the table from the San Antonio Spurs. One report even suggests that the Hornets may be back in the running for Pargo, though as of last week they had no intention of re-signing their reserve point guard according to agent Mark Bartelstein. The Suns' arrival on the scene would certainly explain why a deal hasn't been finalized with the Spurs.

Every other year each team gets what's called a bi-annual exception, which is basically $1.9 million they can offer a player to fill a spot. This is the spot the Spurs are offering Pargo, but obviously Bartelstein would rather find a few more bucks for one of the better reserve point guards in the league. The Suns still have their MLE, which is presumably what they would use to sign Dragic, but they could use it for Pargo instead. It would likely mean at least a half million more for Pargo.Good luck, Jannero, in your negotiations! Hope to see you in K2 soon!

Zag 77
08-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Dear Azza,

True, Napoli is a bit risky, but the Campania region is fabulous: The Bay of Naples, Sorrento, Capri, the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, ...... I could go on and on.

And the regional food specialties are out of this world. Danny better have a good training regimen to keep the pounds off.

cjm720
08-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Way to go Dan! Great area (Naples isn't my type of town but right near my favorite place on earth, Capri and the Amalfi coast)! I think I need to look for plane tickets! Way to represent Zagdom internationally! GO ZAGS!!!!