PDA

View Full Version : Bainbridge vs. O'Dea: 3A State Title Game, Saturday, 9pm PT, FSN-NW

CDC84
03-09-2007, 09:43 PM
See future Zag Steven Gray and his Bainbridge Spartans take on O'Dea for the 3A State championship. Game time is 9pm PT on Fox Sports Northwest. This will be the 4th meeting between the two teams this season. O'Dea features future Arizona State Sun Devil Jamelle McMillan.

meadgrad02
03-10-2007, 03:03 AM
ok this is riduculous... kxly 4 said GU recruit... Sean Gray.... are you kidding me... this is our signed recruit and they can't even get his name right? that is ridiculous. that is so frickin lame, i'm sorry, but that is so bad....

23dpg
03-10-2007, 08:56 AM
At least not until the Oregon 6A game is over. It's slated to show after that.
The Oregon game will be epic. Lake Oswego vs. South Medford. The played in the title game last year with LO winning a nail-bitter by 2. Kyle Singler vs. Kevin Love.
I predict a South Medford win tonight. I think they are the best team. The have a junior point guard who is being highly recruited also. Harthun is the name I think. A lot like Tinsley from what I hear. I wonder if we are looking at him also?

Here's a link to the game preview.

http://www.oregonlive.com/prepboysbasketball/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1173511532257550.xml&coll=7

Symi81
03-10-2007, 09:21 AM
ok this is riduculous... kxly 4 said GU recruit... Sean Gray.... are you kidding me... this is our signed recruit and they can't even get his name right? that is ridiculous. that is so frickin lame, i'm sorry, but that is so bad....

Thats SO bush-league!

sullyzag66
03-10-2007, 02:10 PM
At least not until the Oregon 6A game is over. It's slated to show after that.
The Oregon game will be epic. Lake Oswego vs. South Medford. The played in the title game last year with LO winning a nail-bitter by 2. Kyle Singler vs. Kevin Love.
I predict a South Medford win tonight. I think they are the best team. The have a junior point guard who is being highly recruited also. Harthun is the name I think. A lot like Tinsley from what I hear. I wonder if we are looking at him also?

Here's a link to the game preview.

http://www.oregonlive.com/prepboysbasketball/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1173511532257550.xml&coll=7
If you have DirecTV in Oregon it's likely you'll be able to get both games. Between FSNW channels 650 and 651 you should be able to keep an eye on both games--especially if you have a dual-tuner DVR.

surfmonkey89
03-10-2007, 02:46 PM
A 9pm tipoff - how fitting...

wazmix
03-10-2007, 03:04 PM
I never know which version of FSNW we're going to get in Vancouver.

TitanTV.com listed the Wa. 3A game, but I'd rather see the Love/Singler matchup from Oregon........and we typically get Blazer coverage, instead of Sonics.

I'm just going to tune in, and if they have 10 chimps playing 5-on-5 in a zoo cage, I'm going to watch that.
(Are we recruiting any of them??? Are magic-bananas illegal??)

Rubbadub
03-10-2007, 03:38 PM
If anyone out there is tech savy and would like to upload some Steven Gray highlights for the rest of us to see, you have my permission :)

lothar98zag
03-10-2007, 07:38 PM
UPDATE -

It appears the game wil be on one of the 3 FCS stations for those living outside the NW.

Rangerzag
03-10-2007, 08:24 PM
UPDATE -

It appears the game wil be on one of the 3 FCS stations for those living outside the NW.

The gals are showing right now on both the local Fox Sports NW and the 5 bucks a month Fox College Sports Pacific (415) channel from the same UW HecEd location the guys game will be played.

FuManShoes
03-10-2007, 08:41 PM
They playing this game or not? Get the Dairy Queen off the court!

Rangerzag
03-10-2007, 08:52 PM
They playing this game or not? Get the Dairy Queen off the court!

The dairy queen is 10 times better than YellowMar.

sullyzag66
03-10-2007, 09:10 PM
South Medford's Harthun just fouled out with 24 points--just over a minute left. With all the hype between Love and Singler, he looked pretty good out there. S. Medford's up by two now with 46.8 secs left.

Rubbadub
03-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Nevermind Love and Singler, how is Gray doing tonight?

rawkmandale
03-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Bad start. Right now (14-2, end of first quarter) Bainbridge looks like they couldn't stay with Northwest Christian or Republic from the 2B ranks. I assume things will start to fall, but what an awful start. Gray is 1 for 8 or something like that. The rest of his team loooks much worse.

sullyzag66
03-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Game just started a few minutes ago. Gray got the tip-off and dribbled to the top of the key--hit a jumper for the first points of the game.

Never mind. I'm watching on delay on DVR. rawkmandale has the real deal.

jayray
03-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Game just started a few minutes ago. Gray got the tip-off and dribbled to the top of the key--hit a jumper for the first points of the game.

And then went 0-7.

rawkmandale
03-10-2007, 09:34 PM
22-10 O'Dea with about half the second quarter left. Gray with 3 points, and has missed some free throws. They aren't in much of a flow, but O'Dea has committed quite a few fouls, so that may factor in later.

ZagAddict
03-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Jamelle McMillan looks like the only true D-1 prospect at this point in the game... ASU has to be happy with his commitment.

It would be an understatement to say that Steven Gray is struggling tonight. I've heard many stories about his outside shooting ability and range, but I haven't seen anything close to that yet.:confused:

Zagdawg
03-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Odea 28 Bainbridge 11-- Halftime

Odea looks pretty good--and Bainbridge looks pretty bad--not in a rythm -- lots of turnovers--

rawkmandale
03-10-2007, 09:43 PM
28-11 at the half. Bainbridge looks terrible, but I know how hard it is to beat the same team 4 times.

Birddog
03-10-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm going to bed, this game stinks. The Oregon game was much better to watch. Bainbridge better find some mojo or they are going to look silly.

Birddog

Mantua
03-10-2007, 09:47 PM
What's that on the back of McMillan's head? The " I " in "team" ;)

rawkmandale
03-10-2007, 09:48 PM
This game kind of reminds me of WSU vs. USC last night - esp. given the O'Dea uniform colors, and the "history."

ZagAddict
03-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Not really liking how Gray seems to be backing away from things on the offensive end... he needs to work A LOT HARDER to get the ball. O'Dea has done a decent job on defense, but I would have expected more effort in a state championship game.

I have to believe the first half has just been "one of those games" for Steven Gray. I think the GU coaching staff will have a lot to offer him... I'm looking forward to a bright future for him.

sullyzag66
03-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Poor shooting and bad ball-handling on Bainbridge's part. Gray's been responsible for at least two turnovers.

TM27
03-10-2007, 09:52 PM
McMillian is the real deal! He is the only one on the floor TONIGHT who looks like he could play immediately for a D1 team. (with the key word being tonight. Gray can and will contribute next year)

As for Gray it is obvious that his shot is not on tonight. He has been able to create off of the dribble but it is just not going down....crap happens. However, the part that is surprising is how sloppy his passes look. Hopefully, he turns it around in the second half. I have seen Steven play in other games, tonight is not a good representation of Gray's talent.

Zagdawg
03-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Bainbridge looks like they have given up-- O'dea came to win a state title -- and Bainbridge looks like they don't want to play --

35 to 13 with 4:57 left in the 3rd quarter--

That would be embarrassing-- work your butt off to make it to the finals of state and disappear-- wow--

Zagdawg
03-10-2007, 10:20 PM
41 to 22-- the last quarter about to start-- Grey looking like he is trying to put the team on his back and carry them--

Good anticipation with the passing lane--also had a nice block and finish--

rawkmandale
03-10-2007, 10:20 PM
41-22 after 3 quarters. Gray had a couple of impressive steals and drives to score - now has 11, but this game is OVER.

CDC84
03-10-2007, 10:23 PM
I have never seen a high school team play with more lethargy than Bainbridge is playing with tonight. They came out just assuming that they were going to beat O'Dea again like they have 3 times this season.

They're playing with more energy now, but I'm afraid it's too little, too late. Gray is just having one of those games....

CDC84
03-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Gray just looks tired. Holding on to his shorts, etc.

One of the things that he's going to have to learn, as the announcers accurately pointed out, is that if his long range shot isn't going down, he needs to just keep shooting. Just like Raivio does for Gonzaga. He lost confidence in the jumper tonight, and he started pressing. Gray has a lot of offensive versatility, but based on what I've seen in this game, he needs that outside shot to drop in order for the other areas of his offense to work. Just keep shooting.

O'Dea has gotten to every loose ball and rebound is this game. They're playing like the Zags have the last 5 games!

Nevtelen
03-10-2007, 10:32 PM
I don't watch a ton of high school bball so I wasn't sure what to expect, but... wow. Bainbridge looked like a little league team out there. Gray showed good athleticism at points, but not much else at all. I beleive the people that say this was not representative of his play, but... ugh. Ugly all around. Even the free-throws were brutally bad.

CDC84
03-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Enough people on this board have seen Steven play brilliantly enough times in person for us to know that he is going to be a high level D-1 player at Gonzaga. But when you have an off game in the state title game, the memory of that tends to sit with people.

As sick as this may sound, that's a good thing.

That's part of what makes high school basketball special...kids learn about the consequences of losing because they and their fans feel the pain from it....quite unlike AAU ball, where Bainbridge would be playing 3 more games tomorrow to make up for the poor outing tonight. The season is over with, and they have to stew over it. One would hope that Steven will use this to motivate him in the upcoming months before he appears on campus.

TM27
03-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Steven can learn a lot from this game. Just saw a picture of him crying on the bench....poor kid. Although, Gray's game was below average tonight, GU nation needs to remember that this recruit almost single handedly brought a state title to Bainbridge....not to take anything away from his teammates but his supporting class is not equal to that of many other teams in the tournament. Steven Gray is a stud, arguably the best player in the state, and unfortunately it just wasnt falling today. Teams key on Gray, and as the announcer mentioned, a lot of times it ends up being 1 on 5. Surround Gray with other D1 players and he will look much better....sorry to see the game end the way it did but there is a lot that Gray can take from this game.

Congrats to O'DEA!

Edited to say: I see that I was typing at the same time as CDC, hence similar posts - oops!

FuManShoes
03-10-2007, 11:32 PM
You have to wonder if the late start and fatigue had something to do with this result. But it's not like O'dea didn't have the same worries. All I know is Bainbridge looked like crap -- no zip, throwing the ball all over the place, not getting back on D, tossing up contested shots, walking into blocks, getting beat to every loose ball. Certainly not the effort you want to see in the state final. I missed the first quarter, where Odea apparently won the game from the get-go. But where was Gibbler? He was the inside presence that balanced Gray's outside game this year, and it looks liike he didn;t show up at al tonight. From what I saw, Gray was pressing, but at least he was trying. Few of his teammates seemed to even give a damn out there.

thespywhozaggedme
03-11-2007, 12:24 AM
It was my 1st time seeing him tonight. First impression; he's got a long way to go if he want's to contribute at GU. Remember how impressive PMac was in highschool? That being said, everyone has an off night and from what I've read about him I just happened to see it. He deserves the benefit of the doubt. He's kinda slow of foot though, no where near Pargo's athleticism and his tippy toe foul shooting technique is awful. Why didn't the coaces correct that? Gray won't be shooting ft's off the tips of his toes once he gets on campus, I can guarantee that. I was hoping for more, much more. I'm sure he was too. Oh well, it's a learning experience, no biggie.

john montana
03-11-2007, 07:57 AM
love or singler"s teams would have beat both odea and bainbridge.

thickman1
03-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Rough game last night for Bainbridge and Steven Gray. The obvious thing is how good Steven Gray has to be. Bainbridge had nothing besides Gray. No one else on that team is really good at all. I was shocked to see that in a state title game team. That leads me to believe that Gray has carried this team single-handedly for the last two seasons. Sure Gibler gets points now and then but it's because Gray draws so much attention.

I felt bad for Steven when he was tearing up after the game but I like that because it shows passion. It shows desire - he WANTED that win. I'm sure he felt like he had to win the game for the Spartans and that probably caused him to press too much. There were definitely glimpses of his ability though. He does a nice job of going to the rim but needs to be stronger with the ball. He also has good hops as was evident on that backdoor cut dunk late in the 4th quarter. He went up quick and jammed it home.

RebornZag
03-11-2007, 09:52 AM
I really enjoyed the Auburn Riverside vs Chief Sealth Girls' game. It was 10x's as entertaining as the Bainbridge vs O'Dea game. The Boys' Final was probably the worst basketball game I"ve ever seen in a State Tournament. I loved how the girls' played with passion and heart (Both Teams). It was a fight to the end. I loved the Heart of Riverside Auburn...talk about a team overmatched...Once again we got to see what happens when you play with passion and courage. The Auburn Riverside team never took a step back from Chief Sealth (two time defending State Champs) who had 2 or 3 gals heading for Div I basketball. The tiny point guard for Auburn, a Sophomore, and was one fearless basketball player. She never backed down or away once.....

Unfortunately for Gray, his team was NOT close to being ready to play. I don't judge Stephen by this one game. I've seen him play. And obviously they beat O'Dea 3-4 times this year. I didn't care for Bainbridge as a team at all. But I have never seen THEM play before, so obviously the team was better then they showed tonight. Too bad!!! I know Gray wanted the State Championship more then anything. My heart goes out to Stephen. And although he didn't achieve his goal, I know he has a heart of a champion!!! And the best years of his life lie ahead of him at GU...The Best is Yet To Come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonezagaga
03-11-2007, 10:01 AM
I thought last nights Bainbridge game looked eerily similar to Univesity Highs girls game last week. Both of the marquee players, Steven Gray and Angie Bjorklund, really struggled. That doesn't make them any less of a player than coach few or coach Summit thought them to be, it just means they had an off night. If Angie Bjorklund, the #2 girls recruit in the nation can struggle in the championship game I don't think I'm going to get to worked up about Steven Gray having a tough night. The coaches both know what they are getting and my guess is they are both extremely happy they are getting it.

229SintoZag
03-11-2007, 10:18 AM
As a Bainbridge resident, and as a fan who went to four games in person this year, I have to chime in here with my thoughts.

Bainbridge played their worst game of the year in the title game, hands down.

Why?

My theory is they were just spent. Even in the first half, a lot of their jumpers and even their free throws were coming up short. Nobody, including Gray, seemed to have their legs under them.

I have to think this is related to the game times. This was Bainbridge's fourth straight 9 pm game in four days. That's four nights in a row getting home on the 12:15 ferry at the earliest; last night it was most likely the 2:15 am ferry (weekend schedule). It's then a 35 minute ferry ride, plus the drive home. It is not too much to think that they were getting home after 1:15 am and not in bed until 1:30 or later the three nights prior to this game.

Getting home at 1 or 2 a.m. for the three nights before your state title game for high school kids who are not used to that kind of schedule can be tough. I bet good money that most of the O'Dea team was in bed by the time Bainbridge got to the ferry dock the past three nights. Bainbridge obviously had enough steam to get to the finals the prior three nights of the tournament, but clearly they were just out of gas in the final. It looked like they had concrete blocks on their legs, and nobody's shot was dropping all game. It did not help that the girls game went long and that the Bainbridge game did not start until almost 10 pm. That is just not fair to start a game that late with high school kids.

FuManShoes
03-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Bainbridge's coach said the team stayed at a Seattle hotel during the tournament, so a late-night ferry run wasn't a factor. They just didn't bring it.

sittingon50
03-11-2007, 11:09 AM
My thoughts exactly. If they weren't staying in a hotel, the A.D. should be fired.

Angelo Roncalli
03-11-2007, 11:32 AM
I've watched about a dozen BHS games in person or on TV this year, and this one was truly their worst. I think that much of the explanation for BHS laying an egg in the final game goes to the difference in experience in coaching.

O'Dea is coached by Phil Lumpkin, a former NBA player and long, long time HS coach who knows all the tricks. His assistant, Greg Kalina, is the most talented assistant in Metro, if not in the state. He should be coaching his own team.

When Lumpkin realized Bainbridge was back on hits heals a little bit early in the first half, he went for the jugular, ramping up the Irish defense. When O'Dea got to a 10 pt. lead early in the first half, I knew the game was over. O'Dea runs a patient, execution offense, and runs it sharper than any other HS team in the state. Couple their excellent offensive execution with their ability on defense to exploit Bainbridge's brain farts on offense, there was no way Bainbridge was going to come back.

The biggest mystery for me was Coby Gibler. He has had monster games this season. But last night, other than a few a rebounds, he had minimal contribution. When they showed his face on TV, even in the first half, it looked like he had given up.

229SintoZag
03-11-2007, 12:17 PM
The only trouble I have with that explanation, Angelo, is that BHS beat O'Dea the other 3 times they matched up this year. The staffs were the same in all four games. Why was this one game so different?

And ferry or no ferry, four straight 9 pm or later evening games will take its toll. O'Dea played no 9 pm games until the final. I have to think that played a role of some note.

Agreed Gibler was not himself. He almost looked like he had the flu or something he was so lethargic and lost out there. Bizarre.

yourmom
03-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Even if you've beaten the same team/coaching staff already in the season the state championship is still different. The O'Dea kids had been there before, Bainbridge's had not. The O'Dea coaches had been there before, Bainbridge's had not. In having watched a lot of HS state tournaments in the past I've noticed the teams that have been there before don't really get any early jitters and start playing right off the bat. When the other team who hadn't been there before is still trying to get used to the situation and atmosphere that is a state championship they are already down 10 by the end of the 1st quarter. Not many teams can climb themselves out of a hole that size, especially against a team that runs their offense like a machine.

I think this game came down to experience and the fact that Bainbridge had all the pressure on them. They had won the 3 previous meetings. They were expected to win. Add that with the pressure of a state championship and that can be too much for many players to handle.

Fonebone
03-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Understanding that everyone has an off night - heck - most of my night are off nights - the one thing that bothered me a little is that it seemed that sometimes Steven was not hustling on defence. Not playing with intensity. Hopefully that was just another sign of fatigue - how is he normally on defence ? There were a number of times when he just kind of stood there when guys were going up for shots - seemingly within his range to get to with hustle.

Vanzagger
03-11-2007, 08:31 PM
3rd place state

wazZag
03-11-2007, 09:08 PM
It was my 1st time seeing him tonight. First impression; he's got a long way to go if he want's to contribute at GU. Remember how impressive PMac was in highschool?

In a word: no. I remember seeing a hilight video where PMAC got steals and dunked several times. It was fun to watch, but even terrible highschool players can look good on highlight vids. Unless you actually saw PMAC play entire high school games (not saying you didn't) the comparison of a highlight vid to a high school game is ridiculous.