PDA

View Full Version : Daye mention in Sporting News this week

CDC84
08-11-2008, 10:07 AM
A very interesting article which looks at the lessons learned from the 2005/06 college basketball season (the last to have a very weak recruiting class) and how they might apply to this season:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=444505

Somebody's in the weeds: Sporting News was one of the few outlets that did not predict Florida would disappear completely from the scene after Anthony Roberson, Matt Walsh and David Lee left in the spring of 2005. We said the Gators would be "more fun." We did not mean we thought they would win the national championship. We meant somebody in the program might actually pass the ball. It turned out the Gators had three future top 10 picks on their roster -- none of whom had played much the previous year. It's hard to picture that sort of miracle being repeated so soon, but the talent of Michigan State's Kalin Lucas, Durrell Summers and Chris Allen was put only to sporadic use last season. Gonzaga's Austin Daye averaged only 18.5 minutes but -- with his 6-10 height, extraordinary length and complete package of scoring skills -- might be the most promising offensive prospect in the college game.

Zerogame
08-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Let's hope this not like making the cover of Sports Illustrated in pre-season. Gulp! :(

finechina2003
08-11-2008, 11:11 AM
When Australian Andrew Bogut returned from competing in the 2004 Olympics, he had gained the confidence to become an All-American. Fellow Aussie Patrick Mills, a scoring point guard, is the only college player at the 2008 Games, and he played well against Chris Paul and Deron Williams in the teams' final tuneup game. That will not hurt Saint Mary's attempt to break through to NCAA success.

Daye and Mills could be two of the most exciting players to watch next year and they are both in the WCC. This is great news for the conference and great for Gonzaga basketball.

JohnOGU
08-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Pargo=The Mills Stopper

JAGzag
08-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Pargo=The Mills Stopper

Um, I love GU as much as anyone but I'm not too sure Pargo could stop Mills all that often. Did you see him against America's best?? That kid looked pretty darn quick.

roxdoc
08-11-2008, 02:46 PM
He did a pretty good job of it last year. At least I think it was Pargo that stopped him.

JohnOGU
08-11-2008, 03:22 PM
True, Pargo held him off fine though. Plus, most of his points against USA were transition points werent they? The Aussie team is more well-balanced than SMC who's main offensive weapons are simson and mills.

Nevtelen
08-11-2008, 04:06 PM
He did a pretty good job of it last year. At least I think it was Pargo that stopped him.

While Pargo did a decent job @ SMC, I seem to remember Gray playing absolute lock-down D on him for much of the game @ GU.

zag67
08-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Yes, Mills is really good. But one person is not going to beat GU next year. You let him have his points, but do not let one of the other players break loose and beat you. Make him work and keep running fresh bodies at him.