• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Doubts and Concerns re: 08-09 Zags

As GU has lost all momentum in recruiting that it may have had months ago when Arop commited, I've been mulling over some other thoughts, being as objective as possible...

I have serious doubts about Daye's knee this next season. I don't think he'll be as confident in his ability to cut, stop, drive, etc., as he was last season. This exact situation happened with former Lady Zag Rachel Kane when she partially injured her ACL and they opted not to fix it once and for all, instead choosing to rehab it back to health...which never happened. Finally, two years of fiddling around they operated on it and she was able to slowly return to what she once was. I would not be surprised one bit if this is what happens to Austin. Instead of biting the bullet and fixing his knee so it can return to 100%, they have chosen to "hope" it heals okay and avoid surgery when surgery is the best way to go, and really, in the end, the only way to go. So I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we see a tentative, cautious (and ultimately frustrated) Daye this season whose knee bothers him all_season_long and somebody finally sees the light and advises surgery. But it'll be a day late and a dollar short, just like in so many instances before.

I'm doubtful of Josh's abilities now that he's been hindered for so long. I just think this being his fifth year, he's not quite what he used to be, before the injuries, when he was fresh.

I'm also concerned about Rob Sacre's improvement. While he has made strides and is better than last year, he is not yet the dependable anchor inside that Casey, Cory, Ronny, JP were for GU. In fact, Zach Gourde and Richard Fox are/were better than Rob is at this point. As some have stated here, Sacre's junior year is more likely to be the start of his best play.

And finally, I have reservations about Pargo and any improvement by him from last year to this year. Between developing bad habits this off-season and no real hard work ethic ala Dickau, Santangelo, Stepp, he may regress.

In general, last year's offense looked awful. Standing around, no movement, I have never seen a Few-coached team look that stagnant all season long. Not just a game here and a game there but the whole dang season. It was so bad, I still have parents, uncles, analysts and other coaches asking me "What's going on with Gonzaga's offense?"

Otoh, Gray is looking fantastic, and so is Micah. And Meech is getting rave reviews.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • MickMick
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

I'm going to say what I have been thinking for a long, long time.

Meech is going to resurrect Zag greatness. At crunch time, in March, Few is going to find a way to get him on the floor. I'm thinking an impact of national proportions....not just WCC.
    I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• 23dpg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Ditto, bingo and all the rest.

Those are my thoughts and concerns to a tee. I hope it doesn't go that way, but i see a scenario like that possible.
      Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• JohnOGU
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Feb 2008

Well, i dont like the sound of that, especially coming from you. Someone who is cnstantly in the loop with the team. ive worried about austins knee as well. sacre has hardly improved in my opinion. i have no idea what to expect from josh. you couldnt be more right about downs, gray, and meech though. We have 4 players to potentially be drafted next year. hopefully theyll play to up their stock for that. with all the talent we have this year, its time to put it together.

Comment

• KSTATEZAG
          Kennel Club Material
          • Aug 2007

Too early Bob. This type of message usually arises closer to season play
          IMHO though I think Josh will probably have an outstanding year.

Comment

• RenoZag
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I doubt we will have enough time and space to list all of the doubts that creep up between now and the time the season starts. . .

But Lord knows, people will try anyway.

"Hi. My name is GU Boards. And I'm a Zagaholic."

RZ
            Last edited by RenoZag; 08-08-2008, 05:50 PM.
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Vizagra
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2007

Two sides to every coin

There is always two sides to every story and I for one choose to look at the glass half full rather than half empty.

I will take the word from trained doctors that say rest will fix Austins knee. Every injury is different. What happened to Kane could be totally different. I am sure Austin has the top tier doc's looking at it.

I like that Josh has taken the long route to recovery this off season to ensure his explosiveness will be there this year. Will his lungs be there? Maybe not initially, but that is easy to gain.

Sacre doesn't have to be a force in the middle, he just needs to defend, box out and rebound AND stay out of foul trouble.

And Pargo, how can you worry about him? He tested and tasted what it will take to get to the NBA. My worry for him is ball hogging, rather than regression. He should be more driven than ever.

All this said, I don't have a crystal ball, but I like to look at the sunny side of things.

GO ZAGS!

Comment

• sittingon50
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I disagree with you on the Offense, BZ. Stagnant = #3's Jr. year. I did not enjoy watching that "team".

Hopefully the Zags will be a .500 group.
                But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Rubbadub
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Oh noes! We're doomed!
                  sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• zag67
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

Imo

So I agree with BZ, but maybe not all of the same reasons. I think that most of them "may" be workable, but the coaches and the players have lots of work. Here are my reasons to worry (but do not get me wrong many/all are workable):
                    1. Josh - Can he come back to even 85% of what he was as a sophmore. Anything more than that is going to be a plus and could push them farther into the post season.
                    2. Jeremy - Can he improve in his free throws and decision making. He does a lot of "great things", but can he keep making the players around him look and be better. He needs to keep working also on the D end of the court and realize that he now has Meech who can come in and give him a rest without hurting the team.
                    3. Daye - the same as BZ. Coming back from knee (or any injury) has players playing tenative. Will he fall into a rut of just taking the jumper and not attacking to create caos for the other teams defense.
                    4. Sacre - Just has to play solid and not give up points or the ball. He also does not have to do great things, just make the players around him better.
                    5. Matt - Play within yourself and do not try and do not try and create when you do not have the mismatch. But when you do have the mismatch, take charge and make it happen.
                    6. Integrating Meech, Gibbs and Ira into the flow of the games.
                    7. TEAM - Do not get into the "I" syndrome. Work hard on the team defense that Few wants you to play and recognize when (and when not) to gamble within the flow. Also all of them need to improve their shooting and getting the ball to the right players during the flow. Do not commit so many offensive fouls by trying to do too much 1/1.

Comment

• zag buddy
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2007

Yes Bob, Elvis is dead and I don't feel so good myself.
                      I much prefer constructive criticism to fear, doubt, and worry
                      Thanks Bob for all your really great info over the years but Bob focus Bob focus- put down the beer and back slowly away from the computer.

Comment

• cjm720
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

The key to this upcoming season is JH. If he's healthy and playing as well as we know he can, the importance of Sacre, and to a degree Daye, becomes less of an issue. We can score with or without Daye.

Pargo's the leader of this team, but he'll also continue to "play for the draft" and Sportscenter, which will be frustrating at times. He needs to play for the team at all times(thanks in advance for the negative rep whomever).

As Kansas proved last year, depth helps to win a championship. In order to make a deep run, we need all cylinders running. I hope it doensn't play out like BZ's post but we can still pull through but a Final 4 would be out the window.

GO ZAGS!!!!!
                        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• MedZag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
                          You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

• duper
                            Kennel Club
                            • Apr 2008

Freshmen?

I am very high on Meech, everything about him as a player and person appears positive. I don't like however to rely on a freshmen point guard to much. Also if Gibbs is seeing regular rotation time then other things (Josh's ankle, Daye's knee) have probably not worked out in our favor.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

fresh air BZ

a breath of fresh air, BZ.....luv ur honesty......cept for the Daye knee, those are my reservations as well....and I wd throw Bouldin in too......as well, I agree Gray and Downs are the best "basketball players" on the team.....no need for tomahawks.....and if Few allows that again this preseason, he's lost me....you go, Beezer

Comment

Working...
                              X