PDA

View Full Version : Patty Mills gives team USA trouble

cair3
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
on ESPN:

"Porous defense, inside and outside. Abysmal 3-point shooting. Bad free-throw shooting. Sloppiness with the ball. Even a never-before-seen inability to contend with speed. Backup Aussie point guard Paddy Mills was a blur, the fastest player I've seen since Allen Iverson was a rookie. He plays Division I ball in the U.S. for St. Mary's (Calif.), where he just finished his freshman season, and he told ESPN.com he has run 400 meters in 49 seconds."

I think Mills is the next great WCC guard that is gonna turn into a starter in the nba. I think pargo will make it and be a tough back up but mills has special speed and flashes of tony parker in his game.

ZagNut08
08-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Gonzaga got a few mentions during the game when referencing mills and the wcc. Cair3, I am moving to your town in a week, what should I do?

MedZag
08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I knew Mills was good, but good lord, he was doing his thing against the likes of Paul, Williams, Bryant, and James.

Das Zagger
08-05-2008, 08:39 PM
I think Mills can be a great player, he was only a freshman this year. But I will say this, I think he can be a demigod if he plays in Australia after his college play is over. I know the NBA is the top dog in pro leagues but he is the first Aborigine player to make a name for himself, that is going to have some serious pull in the land of Oz.

MDABE80
08-05-2008, 09:09 PM
About as speedy as Meech. Wait'll you see our guy. GEM! Coaches found a gem. He'll keep up with anyone and scare em to death on offense. Think a bigger verysion with hops. Like Collison.

Nevtelen
08-05-2008, 09:57 PM
I just finished watching the game (on DVR). Mills was unstoppable in transition - very, very impressive. He does need to add some more point guard to his repetoire, though, if he wants to make it in the NBA - while his PG skills were rarely bad, neither were they outstanding. He was amazing in transition, though - made the US look like a bunch of old men a few times. I really like Mills, though, I have to say, and I'm excited to see what he does in college (and if GU can shut him down).

cair3
08-05-2008, 11:16 PM
list of to do's:

#1 buy artests home.
#2 buy season tickets so you can watch kobe lose in person twice and get booed by real fans that arrive before the second quarter.

Repeat the next two steps over and over until November/December when the weather gets super cold (low 40's)

#3 go rent a raft from river raft and float the river with a super soaker and water balloons, and beer (i dare you to wear a laker jersey, actually dont, i dont want you to die)

#4 go to ancil hoffman and play twillight golf, starts at 5 only costs $5 and you can get a solid 15 holes in before it gets dark, plus you are guarenteed to see a few deer around the 7th hole.

1140AM is a great sports station... enjoy

MickMick
08-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Outside of Stephen Curry's play in the post season (with perhaps a touch of Derrick Rose vs UCLA), the best single game performance I watched last season was Patty Mills against Oregon. He did seem to slightly regress in conference play though. Regardless, he was one of the best players on the West Coast.

I am still wowed by Brandon Johnson as well. Put him on an Olympic team and he would be doing the same things that Mills is. No doubt in my mind. I really, really like to watch Brandon play. There is no quit in him and he is so........clutch.

CDC84
08-06-2008, 08:41 AM
The problem that Brandon Johnson has is the same one that Patty Mills has.....while both guys are clearly creative, athletic, and gifted, and while this results in both players playing brilliantly in specific games, they both shoot a very low percentage from the field to get the amount of points per game that they average. The difference between Johnson and Mills is that Brandon is a better 3 point shooter.

I am really interested to see the improvements both guys make this year. Especially Mills, because he was only a freshman last year. I think this whole Olympic experience is going to do nothing but heighten his confidence as a player.

OZZag
08-06-2008, 04:08 PM
I think Mills can be a great player, he was only a freshman this year. But I will say this, I think he can be a demigod if he plays in Australia after his college play is over. I know the NBA is the top dog in pro leagues but he is the first Aborigine player to make a name for himself, that is going to have some serious pull in the land of Oz.

Yes he would do well here, but no-one in Australia would expect him to play here if he had NBA potential. If for some reason he didn't make NBA he would play in a top European league first, and maybe at the end of his career play "down under"