PDA

View Full Version : Meehan's blog on Zach Gourde in the Review

Dogtownkid
08-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Nice story about Zach in the Review today.

Gourde thriving overseas

Caught up last week with ex-Zag Zach Gourde, who leaves Tuesday for his sixth season of pro basketball in France.

Gourde was entertaining, as always. See for yourself below in extended entry for a cut-and-paste version of an unedited article that will run (with pictures) in Tuesday's S-R.

By Jim Meehan
Staff writer

Given how his senior season unfolded at Gonzaga, it may be surprising to some that Zach Gourde has constructed a lengthy, successful professional basketball career in France.

As Gourde prepares to leave Spokane for his sixth pro season, he packs the satisfaction of rekindling his love for the game along with his faithful miniature Australian shepherd Riley and two suitcases of belongings that will sustain him for the next nine months overseas.

“I’m enjoying it quite a bit,” Gourde said. “It took a while for me to be able to say that.”

Gourde’s passion for basketball was severely tested during his senior season (2002-03). He slid from first-team All-WCC as a junior to a diminished role as Ronny Turiaf emerged on a deep frontcourt that included Cory Violette and Richard Fox.

Gourde, a member of GU’s 1,000-point club, averaged 13.2 points and 6.4 rebounds as a junior, but dropped below 5 points and 3 boards in a senior season that ended with a double-overtime loss to Arizona in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Gourde’s confidence sagged and he acknowledged that he soured on basketball “when I’d invested so much and it ceased to be fun because I wasn’t being successful.” Still, he received numerous offers overseas, but only a few he classified as good ones.

He gave serious thought to quitting basketball and finding a job, but decided to give the game one more shot in Feurs in south-central France. Gourde consulted with the Frenchman Turiaf, who told him that Feurs was a small, semi-isolated agrarian town. Turiaf’s scouting report was accurate, but Gourde said the residents were welcoming.

“But even that first year I was thinking, ‘Go see Europe, have some fun and I’ll give it one year,’ ” he said.

For the rest of the story check out Meehan's blog.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=8014#more

zag buddy
08-05-2008, 02:52 PM
I was really concerned for him after his lack of production and playing time his senior year at GU. It brought a smile to my face to read the article. Goood for him. Great work ethics ( one of Gonzagas strenghts). Good luck Gourde, although I don't think you'll need it. Good going.

skan72
08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I read the full article, it sounds like an amazing lifestyle. I've talked to Zach a couple of times when I come down for team camp. He is an extremely amusing guy and I am glad he can do something he enjoys and possibly loves for a living at the moment.
Again, I am enamored with the lifestyle he gets to lead over there, it sounds fantastic.

ZagNative
08-05-2008, 03:41 PM
That's just a terrific story, and I'm so glad to see it! Zach was a big favorite of so many, both on and off the court. A couple of my favorite pics:

Zach v. Georgia forward Chris Daniels, December 15, 2002:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Others/2002-12-15-ZachGourde-Georgia.jpg

And one I bet Zach would hope would disappear from folks' photo albums:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Others/Zachonthefloorrefereelegs.jpg

ZagNative
08-07-2008, 06:05 AM
bumping a great story!