PDA

View Full Version : Burton Committs to Oregon State

NEZAGFAN
08-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Talk about it in Basketball Recruiting Board
Monday was a big day in Oregon State basketball history. After the summer evaluation period concluded, the Beavers coaching staff put on the full press on their top targets - and it's paid off. Earlier in the day, 2010 point guard Ahmad Starks gave Oregon State the green light and on Monday night, 2009 post presence Joe Burton of Hemet, California decided on the Orange and Black as well.

Burton is a Beaver
In a late-night text message to BeaverBlitz.com, Burton confirmed that he has given Oregon State head coach Craig Robinson a verbal commitment.

Burton is currently playing in a basketball event with his AAU team in Hawaii and was unavailable for more comment tonight, but BeaverBlitz.com will be sure to touch base with him for more on his commitment in the near future.

SLOZag
08-04-2008, 10:44 PM
... that Stover has one less "favorite" to distract him from a commit to GU!?!
:)

ZagNative
08-04-2008, 10:50 PM
:link:

75Zag
08-05-2008, 01:36 AM
http://oregonstate.rivals.com/

Good Luck to Burton in Corvalis. Wish it had been Spokane!

Any word on whether Stover will accept his offer from UCLA? According to Rivals it has been about 2 weeks since UCLA offered him, and I wouldn't expect them to wait forever for him to make up his mind.

MississppiZag
08-05-2008, 04:59 AM
This makes getting Dower all the more important. Besides Dower i felt that Burton was the most skilled big man on our radar. The staff needs to stay on Dower and get him. September 6-8 will be a long time from now.

Hey theo cancel the Burton breakdown.

spudzag
08-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Congrats to Joe and the Beav's they need some serious help.

IF you think aobut it all the articles on Joe for sometime have been about OSU. No big surprise really.

CaliforniaZaggin'
08-05-2008, 08:21 AM
This makes getting Dower all the more important.

Good point. Here's hoping we get that commit from Dower in September.

ZagNut08
08-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Once again, a reminder of how important playing in a premier conference is

Too bad, I really liked his game/upside

CDC84
08-05-2008, 08:44 AM
I have a feeling that Joe Burton is going to surprise a lot of people within the Pac 10. You don't need to be 7 feet tall and possess amazing athleticism to be a top notch big man at the college level. Having great hands, great fundamentals, solid footwork and an ability to use your body can be enough. If he trims weight and works hard, he has a chance to be quite effective.

BroncoZAG615
08-05-2008, 08:53 AM
I've seen too many verbal commits fall through to believe that this is the last time we will see an active Joe Burton recruitment.

If memory serves me correct, he visited Corvalis for some tournament and that is the only school he has visited thus far. He still has a season of basketball and he had a GREAT summer meaning that he will probably have a great senior season.

I'm not buying it. I don't think I'll be seeing Joe Burton in black and orange during his college career. I'm not saying he will be in a Zag uniform, but I am very skeptical.

BobZag
08-05-2008, 08:55 AM
I liked big Joe. A wide-bodied kid who scores, rebounds, is a good passer, etc. Had some attitude, too. Which is good, imo. The new OSU coach will get some good ones. Good get for them.

Zags now must get Sam Dower and, ideally, Angus Brandt. Those are the two we like most, along with DeVonte Elliott.

Keep on truckin'.

Goshzagit
08-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Good point. Here's hoping we get that commit from Dower in September.

As I mentioned earlier, I know some of Sam's friends, educators, and coaches. As we know, it has been an extremely busy summer for Sam; both on and off the basketball court. On the court his skills have vastly improved and he is rapidly becoming one of the better post prospects in the class of 2009. Due to his development as a player and increased exposure his recruiting interest has really taken off over the past few months. According to Sam's closest peers, he is just trying to absorb it all and is trying to enjoy the ride while becoming the best player he can be. At this time, Sam has no clear-cut favorite other than Gonzaga being the current leader amongst the schools whom have offered(he said this himself which is good news).

That said, Sam is feverishly attempting to gain interest and a subsequent offer from Marquette, yet they have not offered as of late. Marquette has always been Sam's dream school and his peers believe if Marquette were offer him, it would be a done deal. :(

Typically, I would never report "rumors" and/or "hear-say" unless it came directly from the horses mouth. I don't wish to risk my credibility on this board, yet considering I work/live in the Twin Cities, I feel its necessary to provide any information regarding Sam's recruitment. FWIW, I firmly believe we are still the leader and will ultimately be the suitor for Sam's services. :)

MississppiZag
08-05-2008, 09:10 AM
We all agree that we need to get Dower. But what about the other two that Bob mentioned. Can anyone provide a feel for there style of play and what they could bring to the table? I know the one big i want to see as a Zag(Dower), but i am open for anyone other players. Angus looks to be a good low post scorer. That is good to hear. Elliot looks like an athlete with a high ceiling. Which of the two are most likely to join Dower in my "dream" class. Anthony Marshall, Mangisto Arop, Sam Dower, and ?...

BroncoZAG615
08-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Our correspondant interviewed Dower's coach recently and told us that Sam is favoring Gonzaga and George Mason. I'm sure he is feverishly trying to get offers from every school in the nation, I would too. If Marquette offers we will go from there. Marquette and the Big 10 are schools these midwest kids love but I still like our odds very much.

I've now heard that Sam loves Marquette and from ButlerGuy, he loves Iowa.

Sounds like we need to get our correspondant back on Dower.

VinnyZag
08-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I have a feeling that Joe Burton is going to surprise a lot of people within the Pac 10. You don't need to be 7 feet tall and possess amazing athleticism to be a top notch big man at the college level. Having great hands, great fundamentals, solid footwork and an ability to use your body can be enough. If he trims weight and works hard, he has a chance to be quite effective.

You pretty much just described Jon Brockman.

JohnOGU
08-05-2008, 11:49 AM
This seems very hard to believe for a few reasons. Why would he choose OSU, the worst team in the PAC-10 hands down? Maybe he's just going for PT? did we have an actual offer for him yet?

Zagdawg
08-05-2008, 11:56 AM
He wants to be able to hang out/meet the next president of the United States!
:)

ZagNative
08-05-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't think that Joe's commitment should be treated any differently than any other kid's. Any of them can decommit at any time before the regular signing period in April-May '09, so long as they don't sign a LOI during the early signing period (from November 14 - 21).

Joe's situation would seem to be complicated somewhat by the fact that he has said that location made no difference to him, since his family planned to move to whatever city he goes to school in. That's somewhat unusual and would seem to complicate matters if anyone in his family will need to seek employment in the town he chooses. so, for him, it's more than just showing up for class the first day if the whole family is going to need to relocate and get established there. Of course, the University and its booster would be precluded, one would think, from providing any assistance to his family in that regard.

Don't know. Not my business. Good luck to Joe and his family!

MississppiZag
08-05-2008, 12:51 PM
If i hear Dower goes to the Big 10, i guess i will just give up on the '09 season.:)

Hope we get Dower and another quality big man. Burton would have been nice, but the staff can not sit back and wonder, "what if", they need to continue to go out on the trail, and put the program in position to land at least one big and hopefully two. I am sure they will get the job done. Burton's committment does not surprise me. They have been locked in on Dower and now it seems Brandt. Dower and Brandt looks to be the best possible scenario, seeing how both have the ability to score down low. I can live with those two bigs in the class of '09, joined with Arop, and who knows who else?

StocktonIsMyHero
08-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Um... yeah it's true he can decommit, but it sounds like people are being pretty flippant about this. I mean... I don't want other coaches to keep on recruiting kids who have verballed to GU, and I don't want GU's coaches to keep on recruiting kids who have given their verbal. Isn't giving a verbal the way to finally put an end to the endless calls, letters, emails, etc. from coaches? I seem to recall some raised eyebrows when Vance Walberg at Pepperdine started poaching recruits from LMU and Santa Clara.

And can we stop talking about Oregon State like it's some kind of wasteland? It's a nice Pac-10 school with some decent tradition and in a really nice college town. They've got a young energetic coach who seems to be a very good person. Yes, they were bad last year. And their coach was rightfully fired. But it's not like there is no reason for hope. New coach, new blood, lots of opportunity... I can see why some people would be attracted to that. Some kids want to be a part of building something. There is no reason to look at Burton like he has two heads or three arms or whatever because he chose to go to Oregon State.

ZagNative
08-05-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't think, BTW, that there's any reason to take to bed for a week if Dower follows up Burton's verbal to Oregon State by committing some place other than GU. I'm seeing Zag staff tracks all over big man territory throughout the country and Canada recently. Who knows what those sneaky rascals are up to?

*They may be in Australia and elsewhere, too, and just escaped my notice.