PDA

View Full Version : Provocative remark from DeCourcy

SLOZag
08-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Writing about Tyler Honeycutt for SportingNews.com:

"He looks like a player, though recent basketball history featured several wings of his skill set and body type (Gonzaga's Micah Downs, UConn's Stanley Robinson, USC's Davon Jefferson) who lacked the aggressiveness to be consistently great."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=441940

:mad: I hope Micah prints off a copy of this screed, pastes it on his locker door, and reads it each day before going out and proving DeCourcy dead wrong.

roxdoc
08-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Micah can be fairly agressive, and when he ups his agressiveness he goes from good to great.

bartruff1
08-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Micah can't reach his potential if the point guard doesn't get him the ball in the right place at the right time....If Pargo would buy into the concept of making EVERYONE better and quit playing to the draft everyone, including him, would benefit....just my opinion..

MickMick
08-04-2008, 11:39 AM
The author is clueless about Micah.

If anything, Micah needs to play under more control. To a fault, he has always played aggressive.

I repeat...the author is clueless.

MedZag
08-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Micah can't reach his potential if the point guard doesn't get him the ball in the right place at the right time....If Pargo would buy into the concept of making EVERYONE better and quit playing to the draft everyone, including him, would benefit....just my opinion..

I still continue to be absolutely baffled where this "Pargo is playing for the draft" nonsense came from.

bartruff1
08-04-2008, 11:50 AM
The author is clueless about Micah.

If anything, Micah needs to play under more control. To a fault, he has always played aggressive.

I repeat...the author is clueless. When they get the ball, I suspect that they force it because they never know when they will get it again and they have to make the most of their opportunities. Steven can let the game come to him because he gets the kick out shots from the 4 and 5 and on occasion from the driving guards.

cggonzaga
08-04-2008, 11:51 AM
I guess being one of the top assist men in the country just isn't good enough for some people. Not to mention that many of our sets don't look for a shot until after about 3-4 passes. I'll stick with who I believe to be one of the top 2-3 point guards in the country this year.

cjm720
08-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Pargo definitely "played for the draft" last year, at times, without question. And he'll do it again this year. That said, he's still one of the best PGs in the country and reignign WCC POY. Micah was not agressive when it came to his biggest strength...passed on way too many threes that should be automatic.

bartruff1
08-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I guess being one of the top assist men in the country just isn't good enough for some people. Not to mention that many of our sets don't look for a shot until after about 3-4 passes. I'll stick with who I believe to be one of the top 2-3 point guards in the country this year. I supect he could be one of the top assist men in the country especially with the team he has to feed...but last year he just made the top twenty in assists...

CDC84
08-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I think Decourcy is very correct about Micah Downs. He lacks consistent confidence and aggressiveness as a player, and it has kept him from realizing his potential. It's been a continual theme with him. That and occasional injury issues. The confidence thing was an issue with him at Kansas, and it's been an issue with him at Gonzaga....until this offseason. He has been great this offseason, and I really hope that it carries over into the season. The key with him is consistency. He's a player who is very prone to highs and lows.

Unfortunately, Downs is not the only Zag who suffered from a lack of aggressiveness, confidence and toughness at times last season. It was a team plague. And contrary to what some may feel, I think this is ultimately an individual responsibility. There have been countless players over the years who have failed to realize their potential due to confidence issues, despite the fact that coaches and teammates did everything in the world short of killing themselves to get them to play with more authority. You have to want it yourself, and you have to be able to handle adversity when things aren't going your way in practice or in games.

That being said, I am optimistic. I am getting the feeling that with time running out on their eligibility that we are going to see a consistent fire from Downs and Heytvelt that we haven't seen so far. If that happens, this team has a chance to be special.

cggonzaga
08-04-2008, 02:20 PM
but last year he just made the top twenty in assists...

Apparently you don't understand what a great accomplishment that is. Also, while he was 19th in the country in APG (there were only 4 ahead of him that played in major conferences) he was 11th in total assists (only Vasquez of Maryland was in a major conference). I'm not claiming his decision making is the best of the best but it's pretty darn good considering everything else he brings to the table.

SLOZag
08-04-2008, 03:33 PM
[Jeremy] was 11th in total assists [and exceeded by] only Vasquez of Maryland ... in a major conference".

That's a particularly interesting statistic inasmuch as, by my recall, GU was in the thick of the recruiting battle for Vasquez. Nice to see our evaluation of talant was spot on, even though Vasquez' choice of schools wasn't! :)

bartruff1
08-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Apparently you don't understand what a great accomplishment that is. Also, while he was 19th in the country in APG (there were only 4 ahead of him that played in major conferences) he was 11th in total assists (only Vasquez of Maryland was in a major conference). I'm not claiming his decision making is the best of the best but it's pretty darn good considering everything else he brings to the table. Well, this tread is about Mica, but I just wanted to point out how important Pargo is to the team. He is a NBA athlete ...a All American and the POY in his conference and I suspect he will play for many years and make more money that most of us can imagine...But...now I don't know any of the players or the coaches and even if I did I doubt they would ever criticize a player outside the locker room or the team, but every time I hear Coach Krause say that we have to reduce turnovers and we have to make better decisions and we have to make a good pass and not a high risk one ...welll....I just want him to play to his potential and except for a few magical games I don't think he has.. having said that, I agree, he is one of the best in the country and I love to watch him dunk.

ZagNut08
08-04-2008, 04:52 PM
That's a particularly interesting statistic inasmuch as, by my recall, GU was in the thick of the recruiting battle for Vasquez. Nice to see our evaluation of talant was spot on, even though Vasquez' choice of schools wasn't! :)

I think we chose bouldin over him, if memory serves me correctly

JosephZags
08-04-2008, 05:47 PM
As a Maryland fan (both of my parents are UMD alums) as well as a Gonzaga fan (I'm a Gonzaga Law School alum), I can state that the only reason Vasquez went to Maryland over Gonzaga is because his best friend, Eric Hayes, also went to Maryland. Vasquez is a great assist man, but commits turnovers like they are going out of style, and is an inconsistent shooter. He's still young, and may turn into a very good player, but at this point I don't think Gonzaga missed out on him at all.

jscrk
08-04-2008, 07:38 PM
To CDC 84: You make the following quote: "That being said, I am optimistic. I am getting the feeling that with time running out on their eligibility that we are going to see a consistent fire from Downs and Heytvelt that we haven't seen so far. If that happens, this team has a chance to be special." Is this just a feeling you have or are you seeing an improvement in Downs and a renewed confidence in his game.

CDC84
08-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I keep hearing nothing but positives about Micah and his approach this whole offseason. He's worked hard in the weight room and on the floor. He's playing with a real purpose and is enjoying the process.

Gonzaga chose Bouldin over Vasquez, plain and simple. It wasn't originally going to go down that way, but the staff fell in love with Matt's game and went that direction. Now whether that was the right decision or not remains to be seen.....

As much as I like Vasquez and his fire and leadership on the floor, he has several flaws as a player. While he averaged 17.2 PPG last season, he only shot 43% from the floor, and 31% from 3 point land. The biggest problem with him, though, are his turnovers. He averaged 4.4 turnovers per game last season, and 149 for the entire season. He's in another realm than Pargo or Bouldin in that department. That being said, it is true that Vasquez had a limited supporting cast around him last season. I suspect some of his numbers were the result of him pressing the issue.......by necessity, and with Gary Williams' full approval.

JosephZags
08-05-2008, 04:42 AM
If you thought Vasquez' had a limited cast around him last season (which included Gist and Osby), he is in some serious trouble with both those guys gone this year. Vasquez will be relied on to score even more, and create more opportunities for lesser bigs.

Nevtelen
08-05-2008, 06:10 AM
I keep hearing nothing but positives about Micah and his approach this whole offseason. He's worked hard in the weight room and on the floor. He's playing with a real purpose and is enjoying the process.

That's great to hear, combined with the glowing reports from scrimmages others have given. It'd be great if Micah could really step up his game this coming year and be the player we all know he can be.

Zagdawg
08-05-2008, 06:28 AM
I hope to see the Micah from the WCC tourney in Portland 06-- he had confidence-- displayed his skills and made a big difference-- he stepped up when we needed him and I would like to see him get back to that form (or better).

In the 06 WCC Tourney he dropped in:
19 pts and 6 boards in game 1
16 and 3 in game 2
20 and 6 in game 3

thespywhozaggedme
08-05-2008, 07:51 AM
I guess being one of the top assist men in the country just isn't good enough for some people. Not to mention that many of our sets don't look for a shot until after about 3-4 passes. I'll stick with who I believe to be one of the top 2-3 point guards in the country this year.

But may very well not be the best pg in the conference.

cggonzaga
08-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Mills may be the better NBA prospect but I'd still take Pargo at this point in their careers. Mills is terrific though. What a battle that's going to be this year.

Zagdawg
08-05-2008, 08:11 AM
SMC--Mills-- vs Pargo-- will be an outstanding matchup once again this year.

cjm720
08-05-2008, 08:51 AM
I hope to see the Micah from the WCC tourney in Portland 06-- he had confidence-- displayed his skills and made a big difference-- he stepped up when we needed him and I would like to see him get back to that form (or better).

In the 06 WCC Tourney he dropped in:
19 pts and 6 boards in game 1
16 and 3 in game 2
20 and 6 in game 3

I think Micah's his increased performance had to do with JH getting suspended and him being forced into more action. He responded admirably. However, when he's unsure of when he's going to play, it seems to me his "head" isn't in the game as much. I noticed this a bunch last year. I think he'll likely be forced to play a bit more "4" this year and hopefully have a greater role on the team.

I have a hard time believing Few will change his first 3, and assuming JH and Daye start that leaves Micah off the bench.

As far as Bouldin, he has the versatility that no one has on this team. I think he'll be a top 3 scorer on this (loaded) team, behind Josh and Daye, and will prove why he was so highly recruited.

GO ZAGS!

SLOZag
08-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Mills may be the better NBA prospect but I'd still take Pargo at this point in their careers. Mills is terrific though. What a battle that's going to be this year.

Mills just scored 13 in Australia's 11 point loss to the US in an Olympic warm-up game.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080805/ap_on_sp_ol/oly_bko_usa_australia_3