• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skan72
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Apr 2007

Olynyk on the Zags radar

Kelly Olynyk, a U18 teammate of Mangisto Arop's, is a 6'9" guard from Kamloops, BC.
    Apparently the Zags have been in contact with Olynyk, who is entering his senior season of high school at South Kamloops Secondary School.

Article from the Kamloops' Daily News
    By MARK HUNTER

The more Kelly Olynyk's phone rings, the harder his decision gets.
    Olynyk is trying to figure out which NCAA Division 1 basketball program he likes best. Although the 17-year-old is still a year away from graduating from South Kamloops Secondary, his phone has been ringing off the hook.
    Earlier this week, the University of Michigan Wolverines gave him a call. It came on the heels of talks with the San Diego Toreros and the Gonzaga Bulldogs, as well as a few other programs.
    "There's a bunch of schools talking to me," said Olynyk, who is approaching 6-foot-10. "I'll have to look at the different schools. Some schools you know at the beginning that it probably won't work out."
    Each of these schools has an offer for Olynyk - they want him to suit up for its basketball team. It's any young player's dream to be offered a scholarship to a Division 1 school, and Olynyk has had three. So far.
    "It's fun, trying to narrow downs schools and stuff," he said. "It's like a journey."
    Olynyk has some time to make his decision - most recruits sign before Christmas. He said he would like to sign before next season, so he doesn't have to worry about it on the court.
    He said it's unlikely he'll stay in Canada to play for a CIS program - even the TRU WolfPack, for which his Dad, Ken, serves as athletics and recreation director.
    "I think I'm looking at the States right now," Kelly said. "If it's a really good situation and it's really good to stay here, then I would stay here."
    Olynyk had a tough high school season in 2007-08, mostly because he broke an arm playing football. He managed to play a few games for the Titans basketball squad, but has really shone this summer.
    Last month, he helped Canadian under-18 team to a bronze medal at a junior world championship qualifier in Formosa, Argentina. He also is a key member of the provincial under-17 team that will compete at nationals in Charlottetown, P.E.I., from Aug. 13-19. After that, he'll be back with his Canadian teammates at a tournament in Portland at the end of the month.
    "It's been tiring, but it's fun," Olynyk said. "It's a good experience, with the travel and the games against international competition."
    In the past, Olynyk has played mostly guard for the Titans. Considering he's still growing, his NCAA suitors are hoping to move him up to forward.
    "They want me to play more of a wing position," Olynyk said. "This season, I want to play more wing. But we'll see what we have to do to get the job done."
    I guess I was wrong OZZag: here comes Olynyk, D1.
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Wow. Interesting. I'm curious to see what spywhozaggedme and OZZag have to say ... wonder if Gonzaga really has an offer on the table ... I don't mean to be dismissive at all, but though I think OZZag was pretty high on Olynyk and that he has good bloodlines, I thought he had a disappointing series at the FIBA Americas tournament. Maybe one of the Canada experts or someone else here has a different take on him right now.

Here are the player stats from Formosa, Argentina:

Link to FIBA's site here

Comment

• skan72
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Apr 2007

Yeah, OZZag wasn't sure about Olynyk, doesn't really know him. But, he asked me if he thought Kelly could play D1 and I said I didn't think so, at least not at Gonzaga. Maybe I was wrong, but I do think he is better than Andy Poling at the least.

Comment

• ZagNative
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Sorry I'm not more knowledgeable about where you're coming from, skan. Are you in Canada or follow Canadian kids pretty closely? Seen Olynyk play? Always nice to have another set of eyes and ears up north, so I hope your a northie.

Comment

• skan72
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Apr 2007

I certainly am a "northie". I've seen Kelly play a lot. Apparently this summer he has grown to 6-10. And how I compare him to Andy Poling is I've seen Poling play a couple times against Rob Sacre when they were both in high school and this year at team camp.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
            Banned
            • Feb 2007

Don't know much about Kelly at all. I'm more intrigued with Rob Gagliardi, the combo guard outta Ontario.

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

Is Kelly a 2010 recruit?
              The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• OZZag
                Kennel Club
                • Aug 2007

Kelly Olynyk / Rob Gagliardi

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                Is Kelly a 2010 recruit?
                BZ, As Kelly is in grade 12 this year, he would most likely be a 2009 recruit.

Skan, thanks for posting the article.

As the article states he did not play a lot of high school ball this year because of his arm. He really had not played a lot of tough competition until this summer, and impressed the Canadian coaches enough to come from nowhere to making the team. He played behind Manny, Tristan, Gagliardi and Bibeau who all have a lot more experience at that level, with three of the four playing all year together and Tristan is just a stud.

My take on Kelly is that he is a very good shooter, and could be a solid D1 prospect, his difficulty right now is trying to catch up with his growth spurt.

He will get his chance to shine later this month at the Canadian U17 Championships.

As far a BC high school ball goes, he should have a big season, and his team, South Kamloops, should be a top 5 BC team and may even contend for the Provincial AAA title.

Spy, Rob is an intriging prospect as well, he actually played recently with the Grassroots Canada team at the LA tournament (I am not sure about the Vegas tournament , which they won). I am very sure he will go mid major or above. He will have another year of NEDA and the World Championships under his belt before he starts his college career.

Comment

• ZagNative
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

OZZag, might want to clear some space in your personal messages, as I got a "box full" message the last one I sent.

Thanks for the super report! Just what I needed to put Kelly in perspective. I hope you'll keep us up to date on the tournament later this month.

Also, this website for the Basketball BC U17 boys shows (on the left side) a reference to a CIS tourney which would have started today, but I've been unable to find anything about it. Do you know anything?

I have a heck of a time trying to find info about kids in Canada on the net. I wondered whether the goal of the elite programs was to keep kids playing in Canada, rather than grooming them to play for high-level Div I teams in the States. It sure doesn't seem as if they go out of their way to make info about Canadian prospects readily available on the net. The Hooplife site seems to be the most active, but there seems to be a lot of Yo-Mama talk over there, so I typically don't spend much time looking for info there.

Or? I could just be a knucklehead.....

Comment

• OZZag
                    Kennel Club
                    • Aug 2007

CIS tournament

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                    OZZag, might want to clear some space in your personal messages, as I got a "box full" message the last one I sent.

Thanks for the super report! Just what I needed to put Kelly in perspective. I hope you'll keep us up to date on the tournament later this month.

Also, this website for the Basketball BC U17 boys shows (on the left side) a reference to a CIS tourney which would have started today, but I've been unable to find anything about it. Do you know anything?

I have a heck of a time trying to find info about kids in Canada on the net. I wondered whether the goal of the elite programs was to keep kids playing in Canada, rather than grooming them to play for high-level Div I teams in the States. It sure doesn't seem as if they go out of their way to make info about Canadian prospects readily available on the net. The Hooplife site seems to be the most active, but there seems to be a lot of Yo-Mama talk over there, so I typically don't spend much time looking for info there.

The tournament that it refers to is happening in North Vancouver at Capilano University.

Paul Eberhardt (Ebe), is both the BC U17 coach and the coach for the BCCCA based Capilano College basketball team (same competition that Bol played in last year, with Douglas College).
                    Paul is well respected from what I can see and most likely has been instrumental in putting this tournament together. He also coaches a top-ranked high school team as well. As you can imagine, Paul is very high on Kelly and hes mentioned to me that he is very versatile with a good shot.

The U17 team is getting a chance to play in this tournament as a warmup for the Nationals, and will be playing much better teams here, with UBC and SFU two CIS (The top Canadian University competition) teams.

Regarding the Elite program, it is really all about preparing the provinces best players for the national championships. Most of the top Canadian-based players play in them, and having only 10-12 teams compete is a bit more managable than 50+! Last year Manny, Simon Bibeau and Marc Trasolini all made the All star team. In saying this, some Eastern Canada-based players just ignore them, players like Tristan Thompson, Junior Cadougan etc. never played in the Provincial squads, preferring to play only AAU ball.

Provincial teams like the BC U17 usually end up playing some of the AAU teams in Vegas and other Washington State-based tournaments. The BC U17 women squad is historically very strong and ranks well against AAU teams from the south.

BC also has 3-4 other basketball programs/clubs, that usually (but not always) get whoever doesn't make the BC U17 side. Emerson Murray is an example, he plays for the Drive team, and most believe that he should have made the U17 side. They are coached by two former NCAA/CIS stars who have a good rapor with some of the payers coming up.

We have locations all across the Lower Mainland, including Richmond, Langley, Vancouver, Surrey, Burnaby, White Rock, New West & Tri-Cities.

As with most things there are some politics, but generally the best players in all of the other provinces besides Ontario play on the provincial teams.

Comment

• nonzagzag
                      Kennel Club
                      • Mar 2007

oh-oh, Olynyk's arm injury last year was sustained while playing Quarterback for his high school football team... I remember another supertall quarterback who ended up not coming....

Comment

• ZagNative
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

OZZag, Wow. Glad I asked and received such an excellent primer. Thank you!

Comment

• OZZag
                          Kennel Club
                          • Aug 2007

QB

Originally posted by nonzagzag View Post
                          oh-oh, Olynyk's arm injury last year was sustained while playing Quarterback for his high school football team... I remember another supertall quarterback who ended up not coming....
                          From memory Kelly plays backup QB for his team, and I understand that he very focused on Bball.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post

Here are a couple of sites for your perusal. Just filter through some of the teenage smack talk:

hooplife.ca
                            hooptowngta.com
                            thehoop-la.com
                            basketball.ca

Comment

• ZagNative
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Thanks, spy. I'll bookmark those.

Comment

Working...
                              X