PDA

View Full Version : Summer Ball

HRZag
07-31-2008, 12:19 PM
I got to see the guys play Monday night and will give a quick summary of what I saw.

Regulars and locals, correct me if I am wrong or missed something.

The game was pretty casual and not full effort. Not much defense.

Pargo - took the first six shots down the court, mostly ridiculous 3's and one fabulous drive, juke and finish. It would be nice for our point guard to pass the ball, but....this is just summer ball.

Micah - doesn't even need the rim up there, just the net, because that is all he hit, nothing but net....again and again. Nice hustle around the boards as well. He looks ready to go.

Sacre - did not show the big improvement I had hoped for and heard about. Did I miss it? He was aggressive inside and kept going to the hoop, but still doesn't have much of a game. Sorry, I really wanted to see an improved Sacre.

Foster - he actually could help, especially on the inside defense. He stuffed Sacre on a dunk attempt, even though it knocked him on his butt and even had a nice little hook shot.

Poling - yes he is skinny, but he is strong. He could play right now. Smooth, efficient. He's got game. Really a big 4, not a 5.

Didn't really see much from the others.

Josh was in the boot, did shoot a little, has a new puppy and a smokin' hot gf.

It was fun seeing all the hs campers watching the Zags. Campus is stunning.

theothegreat21
07-31-2008, 12:29 PM
I have seen the guys play a handful of times this summer, and most of the stuff you saw is pretty consistent with everything else. However, there are 2 things that I have noticed that were different.

Sacre has made huge noticeable strides. He has developed a right handed hook shot that is consistent and very hard to defend. He is also more decisive in the post and is rebounding quite well. He looks so much better its hard to believe how consistent and strong he was playing.

As for Poling.....the talent is there, but he could not play significant minutes against any of our opponents this season. He is not strong enough to finish in the post, and is just not very strong. You will get glimpses of great plays every now and then, but he is a couple of years away from contributing at all.

MJGoGaels
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Josh was in the boot, did shoot a little, has a new puppy and a smokin' hot gf.

Okay, I was with you and accepting your analysis until you started talking about smokin hot gf. In Spokane? Come on. Now, if it's an import from another metropolian region you might save face. ;)

sonuvazag
07-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Okay, I was with you and accepting your analysis until you started talking about smokin hot gf. In Spokane? Come on. Now, if it's an import from another metropolian region you might save face. ;)
You've never attended Hoopfest.

DenDiegoZag
07-31-2008, 02:58 PM

There wasn't anything much more impressive at Moraga last year when I was there last year compared to GU...Now, I'm not comparing Spokane to Bay Area, but as far as campuses go, the Gales don't really have WCC bragging rights in that department...and frankly neither does GU...

gbnyba17
07-31-2008, 03:53 PM
i sure hope sacre has made big strides becuase we are going to NEED him this year. Without him we are beyond thin when it comes to bigs. when you really think about it, not including austin (lets be real hes not a big man), we have only one proven big in josh, which in itself is debatable. no one really seems to be too worried about this and im wondering why? any input?

ps anything on gray? i heard he was looking REAL good this summer...

Scotto
07-31-2008, 04:41 PM

I got banned for pretty much the same statement last year. Where is the justice!

HRZag
07-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Gray did not play, but came in to watch. He looked like he had just done a huge workout of some kind.

Matt was ripped, but pretty quiet.

Pargo also looks absolutely ripped.

If we were cagefighting, I like the Zags.

Nevtelen
07-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the reports! A questions for those who have seen the team play both now and in the past: I'm very very intrigued by the reports of Micah's play. However, considering what he accomplished last year on the court (or didn't) I'm sort of wary of believing all this amazingness will transition to organized ball.

So - For anyone around last summer, was Micah playing as amazing as he is now? I mean, I know the guy is very very talented, but is his play in the scrimmages a step up from last year? Or did he play like this last year, only to not perform during the season (and, yes, I do realize at least some was due to injuries, before that gets pointed out).

BobZag
07-31-2008, 04:56 PM
i sure hope sacre has made big strides becuase we are going to NEED him this year. Without him we are beyond thin when it comes to bigs. when you really think about it, not including austin (lets be real hes not a big man), we have only one proven big in josh, which in itself is debatable. no one really seems to be too worried about this and im wondering why? any input?

ps anything on gray? i heard he was looking REAL good this summer...

All we can do is hope. Sacre is a key. But I'm not sure worrying about something will help. Keep an eye on Poling. Starting next year, 09-10, he could be a nice surprise.

btzag
07-31-2008, 07:22 PM
If Austin and Josh are completely healthy in the regular season we have plenty of bigs. Austin is the 4 and while he is not a beefy rebounder-type he is still 6'10" and probably the most versatile offensive 4 in the country. Add in his D/shotblocking and you've got a fantastic, potential AA, 4. Then you've got Josh at the 4/5 and Sacre and Foster at the 5. Great size and athleticism from Josh to defend a Hansborough-type and then incredible size and strength from Sacre/Foster if you are facing some larger post-driven bigs. Don't know why anyone can be worried about the zags inside. Don't forget that we had a 6'6" Pendo as our starting 4 last year and he definitely held his own...

Angelo Roncalli
07-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Ira is going to see time at the 4 as well.

Das Zagger
07-31-2008, 07:49 PM
a smokin' hot gf.

is she tall? cause if she is, we need to get a LOI to his kid ASAP!

CaliforniaZaggin'
07-31-2008, 07:56 PM
Don't forget that we had a 6'6" Pendo as our starting 4 last year and he definitely held his own...

Good point. Pendo was more of a small forward then a power forward; he did, however, did have one heck of a motor (not to mention a whole lotta heart!) which made for it.

cair3
08-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Sorry, micah is always that way in pick up games. Great spot up shooter, good rebounder, great dunker in transition, a few ally oops... yada yada.

He was a McDee's all american because of these talents. However, I think he has some areas of his game he really needs to improve to get to the next level. Cant create a shot on his own, limited handles, has trouble in traffic, not a great pull up shooter.

What can we expect next year... My opinion, the same old same old good play that we can appreciate, hustle, some defense, some spot up threes a few transition dunks, a few 15-20 point games where he gets real active but mostly just support play. I'm not trying to criticize him, he is talented and an asset but he has not developed and is looking at over-seas unless GU wins the championship in which everyone will get picked up by some team.

roxdoc
08-01-2008, 06:52 AM
In the scheme of things, no team member will score 20 every night. Even if your opinion is correct, I will take Micah on my team in a heartbeat. With his talent and spirited play he has the potential to go off at any time and thus cannot be overlook by our opponents. You mix him with the talent that GU will put on the floor next year and watch out!

ZagsGoZags
08-01-2008, 07:15 AM
I think there is a good chance Austin could average 20 per night this year. Even ammo didn't go over 20 every single game, I think he was less than that 3 or 4 games that season. I am saddened to hear mixed reports on Sacre. I was hoping to hear from everybody that his improvement over last year was marked. I worry about us at the 5 and nowhere else this year. Only Josh could give us what we need -- a top Div 1 center, or 4/5 who does it most of the time, like Batista or Turiaff. We need one of the top 20 in the country, and Josh has the potential, if his body and attitude are up to it. What we have, if Josh is like last year, is several good, but not great, 5's, and I think we have greats at the 1 through 4. Sacre, Josh, Poling and Will. I would rather have one great rather than four almosts. Besides, I think Coach Few likes to run a lot of offense through the 5, and has been a bit stymied on that for the last two years. Dont' get me wrong I am grateful for all these guys, and trust Few's judgment, and am not critical of any of these 4 bigs. Sacre, Josh and Andy all have the potential upside to blossom some day (Josh this year) and surprise the whole country.
We are going to be a force this year. I am analyzing not complaining, and am thrilled about the coming season. . I have never had so much fun rooting for any team in my life before.

roxdoc
08-01-2008, 07:29 AM
IMHO Play at the 5 this year will be the difference between a very good team and a great team.