PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Josh?

ChampZag
07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm curious if anyone has heard if Josh is gonna come back like a beast as he did two years ago? We can be so freakin incredible if he plays like he's the best player on the court, I hope he gets over his head problems, by the way, I'm woohoo's older brother.

J-Mac Zag Forever
07-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Still wearing the boot as of last Monday.

ZagNative
07-30-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm curious if anyone has heard if Josh is gonna come back like a beast as he did two years ago? We can be so freakin incredible if he plays like he's the best player on the court, I hope he gets over his head problems, by the way, I'm woohoo's older brother.So, can you still beat up on WooHoo?

And btw, some of us get a little testy when some fans here speculate on what's going on inside players' heads, especially when we find out later that a kid was playing in pain or otherwise physically challenged all year.

Rangerzag
07-31-2008, 04:51 AM
by the way, I'm woohoo's older brother.

I'm gonna watch the WooHooWelcome on this one ;) ;)

BTW, welcome, Champ!

MississppiZag
07-31-2008, 06:05 AM
Will Josh be ready and game ready for the Old Spice Classic? He is important for our success. Abe do you know if he will be ready? Thanks

dim4sum
07-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Anyone know when the boot is supposed to come off????

BobZag
07-31-2008, 10:19 AM
No later than August 10. The staff is being ultra-careful as opposed to rushing him back like last season.

Josh will be ready for practice and by Thanksgiving should be at 100%.

MDABE80
07-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Our orthopods are to be congratulated on a job well done. BZ's right. Things are coming along nicely as of 2 weeks ago;) HIPAA rules observed....for the complainers:)

JAGzag
07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Our orthopods are to be congratulated on a job well done. BZ's right. Things are coming along nicely as of 2 weeks ago;) HIPAA rules observed....for the complainers:)

Abe, good call. You never know when those folks from the USF "sour grapes" Board will stop in for "GU board bashing" material. :lmao:

gozagswoohoo
07-31-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm gonna watch the WooHooWelcome on this one ;) ;)

I think I may have to pass that one to ZagPhish...because my brother DOES in fact still beat me up.

Come to think of it, it's been about 3-4 months since I gave my last greeting! I'm slackin! Dang yall.

But, welcome to the board brother.

hockeyzag
07-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Ooohhh boy

J-Mac Zag Forever
07-31-2008, 04:05 PM
NO,YOU DON,T UNDERSTAND! The screws in his foot had came loose and that is why he had have another op right after the finish of the season! Before you sound off know what your taking about and you will have a much better WELCOME. Hope your Bro throttles ya.

JAGzag
07-31-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm sorry, hurt or not hurt, he played like a beeotch, because he was scared, I'm not talkin bad about him cuz I love him cuz he's my favorite player, I understand he was a little apprehensive cuz he was scared to get hurt again, but I would rather him sit out and get better in practice then play like a sissy, if he wasn't ready to play like we know he can then he shouldn't have been in there. What leads me to believe it was all mental is because he had flashes of greatness again but it never stuck around. He didn't have his hop, his quickness. Someone please help me out, yes it was awesome to see him dunk with some force and try to post up, I was yellin at the TV "give it to him give it to him!" Cuz I loved seein him try, that's what he needed for his confidence. Did ANYBODY see him get fired up? Show some emotion other than an ocassional and 1 play? He wasn't throwin people's shots into the stands and yellin in their face like two years ago. His confidence was battered and his play, and the team suffered. I just wanna see the old Josh again. So for anyone to say that the injury was the only reason why he played bad or little, is ridiculous. And thanks for the welcome everyone, glad to be here.

I just don't know where to begin, so I'll begin with this: WTF? Yep, that'll do it.

pbriz
07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm sorry, hurt or not hurt, he played like a beeotch, because he was scared, I'm not talkin bad about him cuz I love him cuz he's my favorite player, I understand he was a little apprehensive cuz he was scared to get hurt again, but I would rather him sit out and get better in practice then play like a sissy, if he wasn't ready to play like we know he can then he shouldn't have been in there. What leads me to believe it was all mental is because he had flashes of greatness again but it never stuck around. He didn't have his hop, his quickness. Someone please help me out, yes it was awesome to see him dunk with some force and try to post up, I was yellin at the TV "give it to him give it to him!" Cuz I loved seein him try, that's what he needed for his confidence. Did ANYBODY see him get fired up? Show some emotion other than an ocassional and 1 play? He wasn't throwin people's shots into the stands and yellin in their face like two years ago. His confidence was battered and his play, and the team suffered. I just wanna see the old Josh again. So for anyone to say that the injury was the only reason why he played bad or little, is ridiculous. And thanks for the welcome everyone, glad to be here.

I see the point you are tying to make in that you wished he would return to his former self or just sit, but its just not the right one. Playing through injuries is a task in itself where you have to put all of your emotion into the pain you are feeling. Josh did what the coach asked because we lacked depth at his position but to question him after knowing that he played through an injury at this point is just unfair to Josh. Have you ever played through a serious ankly injury? I have, a stress fracture and it completely blows. I am sure what Josh went through was as bad if not worse than mine. Mentally, physically, emotionally it all changes playing on an injury like that.

ChampZag
07-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Haha so serious people dang. Okay apprarently I ruffled some feathers. I'm not going to sit here and try to prove my fanhood, I watch very closely all season, I check on the Zags progress every day, talk to my brother, he always updates me the minute he hears something. I know what's going on, I don't need to be told what actually happened. Yes I have had a serious ankle injury, but I didn't play cuz I woulda been garbage. I was only going to hurt the team, now I will take back the part I said about hurting the team, cuz he didn't, it did help the teams morale and post play that he was in there. I just didn't feel that he was ready. I played NCCAA Division II college ball, and I have a national championship, I just don' accept losing well. It broke my heart the night we lost to UCLA when we had it won, (not to bring up a sore subject), especially when my brother cried that night. I guess I was more frustrated than anything for Josh just because when I played you never gave up. I'm not sayin he did but even when we were getting beat by 40 by a DI team, you get hit in the mouth, you hit em right back and look em in the eye. I just didn't see that from him, you don't need to be healthy to still know you're the best. Players pick up on weakness and it left him exposed at the time. I'm not talking crap about him or anyone, I don't have anything bad to say. I want him to get well and play healthy just as much as the next guy cuz he's my favorite player. This all started cuz I said I hope he gets over his head problems......? Why did that start such a fire? He did have some, that's a fact. My brother always says people on here see the players on a regular basis so I was curious if anybody had seen him and knew of his progress. I'm sorry, I apologize if I offended anyone, I just wanted to stay updated and have a conversation with other fans. Can I be forgiven and let's move on? I hope..

MDABE80
07-31-2008, 08:27 PM
Josh......whether some have thought of it.....played in fear and pain. Knowing what I know, it was IMPOSSIBLE to perform like he used to. JUST IMPOSSIBLE. Try to run on a broken leg and you'll soon see how well it works.
Look for him to return to form and once he finds out he 's ready...he'll be way above the rim. Rebounding ..sure. High flyin Dunks? Yep. Or the lift when he shoots from the outside.......it'll be fine....he'll have two legs under him for lift and balance.

What Josh did last year......and yes I was very disappointed merits a mention in Profiles in courage. And yet, if you snag a look at his pts/min and his rebounds/min..he did a 20/9 pace....not bad considering he played with no confidence and on a bad wheel.

SO let's not be arguing he could have "played through" pain and because he wasn't old Josh that he's a p*ss. Not so. He did what he could. We just didn't know why. Now we do. Wait and see,......he deserves a break ( no pun intended_

Das Zagger
07-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Josh......whether some have thought of it.....played in fear and pain. Knowing what I know, it was IMPOSSIBLE to perform like he used to. JUST IMPOSSIBLE. Try to run on a broken leg and you'll soon see how well it works.

I have to think that a big guy playing on a stress fracture, must just be killer. All that weight pounding on the break. Even for a guy that big to get a stress fracture, it must take a lot of pounding.

J-Mac Zag Forever
07-31-2008, 09:23 PM
This tough it out talk is garbage. When your future and millions could hang in the balance you can not convince me that you would risk it all just to prove your manhood. Again that would be stupid. Think about him going all out and getting hurt and we don't have Josh this year when we got a good shot at the 4.

tyra
08-01-2008, 06:55 AM
We went down to K2 Wednesday night thinking there would be an open scrimmage. Uh-oh, no go. BUT we ran into Josh who was on his way in presumably to lift. He had on his boot and sweats but I gotta' tell you, I could tell he was ripped through the sweatshirt. I think the young man has been doing some serious as-allowed training cuz he looks ready for bear! Can't wait, can't wait. How many days?

ZagNative
08-01-2008, 07:21 AM
How many days?

Tip off for first official practice allowed:

It is 77 days, 10 hours, 40 minutes and 30 seconds until Friday, October 17, 2008 at 7:00:00 PM (Seattle time)

Tip off for first competition allowed:

It is 105 days, 11 hours, 37 minutes and 46 seconds until Friday, November 14, 2008 at 7:00:00 PM (Seattle time)

Counter for Practice (http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=10&day=17&year=2008&hour=7pm&min=00&sec=00&p0=234)
Counter for Competition (http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=11&day=14&year=2008&hour=7pm&min=00&sec=00&p0=234)

*Minutes and seconds remaining determined as the start of this post

gozagswoohoo
08-01-2008, 07:31 AM
I could tell he was ripped through the sweatshirt. I think the young man has been doing some serious as-allowed training cuz he looks ready for bear! Can't wait, can't wait. How many days?

That's what I love to hear!

ZagNative
08-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Go get 'em Big Guy! We got your back here!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Heytvelt/2008-01-15JoshPepperdine.jpg

gozagswoohoo
08-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Now THAT is an awesome picture.

I'm gonna do some searching and see if I can find that MONSTER dunk that he had a while back. The one handed alley-oop...

ZagNative
08-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Brockman? Hold this!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Heytvelt/Josh-UW06-SlamdunkoverBrockman.jpg
Gonzaga's Josh Heytvelt opens the game with a slam dunk over
Washington's #40 Jon Brockman, December 9, 2006 in Spokane,
Washington.

gozagswoohoo
08-01-2008, 07:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZbMWANmgs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqJS6ONXPE&feature=related

WOW... I could watch these video's for hours and they'd give me chills every time!

gozagswoohoo
08-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Sorry brother, but Zagnative and I have decided to hijack your thread and turn it into the "Excited about Heytvelt Thread". You may participate if you wish. :)

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/11/30/PH2006113001591.jpg

gozagswoohoo
08-01-2008, 07:52 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/261681/0_61_heytvelt_josh.jpg

pbriz
08-01-2008, 07:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZbMWANmgs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqJS6ONXPE&feature=related

WOW... I could watch these video's for hours and they'd give me chills every time!

me too..... now im way too excited for next year.

ZagNative
08-01-2008, 07:59 AM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Heytvelt/2008-03-10JoshSanDiego.jpg
Josh attempts to stop Gyno Pomare of San Diego in the first half of the WCC Championship game against San Diego in the Jenny Craig Pavilion in San Diego Monday March 10, 2008.

ZagNative
08-01-2008, 08:04 AM
And the guy has surgery in the weeks following this game, to repair the repair he had early in the season ...

"Gonzaga center Josh Heytvelt lets out a scream after controlling a defensive rebound late in the game against Santa Clara Sunday March 9, 2008. The Zags won the game to advance to the championship game Monday."

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Heytvelt/2008-03-10JoshSCUWCCsemisangry.jpg

Wishing you a great final year as a Zag this year, Josh. All the best!

MississppiZag
08-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Seeing how practice starts October 17, will Josh be able to go 100%? I know he will still getting it back into game shape, but he will be able to run and practice with the team, right?

ZaggyStardust
08-01-2008, 08:11 AM
This one is my favorite! Lot's of great Josh and Pargo dunks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xF-V7svdYU

gozagswoohoo
08-01-2008, 08:16 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02aJ1T00at3d7/610x.jpg

gozagswoohoo
08-01-2008, 08:19 AM
This one is my favorite! Lot's of great Josh and Pargo dunks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xF-V7svdYU

I LOVE IT!!! I agree...gotta be my favorite video out there. I'm ready for the season to start now.

pbriz
08-01-2008, 08:31 AM
I LOVE IT!!! I agree...gotta be my favorite video out there. I'm ready for the season to start now.

After watching these (for probably the 100th time each-no exaggeration) I am confident to say that this may be the best dunking team Gonzaga has ever put on the floor with Pargo, Josh, Ira, and Micah out there.

Sportscenter top 10 should be a mainstay for our Zags this year.

ZagNative
08-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Paraphrasing what Austin said about Pendo and Kuso in Jim Meehan's blog (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=7302#more)before the start of the WCC tournament March 8, 2008,

“I want ‘Pendo’ to play great,” said freshman Austin Daye, who shares the ‘4’ position with Pendergraft and is Pendergraft’s roommate on road trips. “I hope for him that he accomplishes all the things he wanted to do coming to Gonzaga. I just hope Pendo and Kuso have a great game.”

I too hope for Josh that he accomplishes all the things this year he wanted to do coming to Gonzaga. When he takes to that floor, he carries with him all his dreams as a boy, all the hours at basketball camps over years of summers, all the road trips his parents made, all the sacrifices the family made to get to this point, the memories he'll leave Gonzaga with, including, hopefully, being a leader on a championship-caliber team; his post-season prospects and his future as a man ...

It's a season for us, but it's the past and the future all wrapped into one for this remarkable athlete.

Go Josh! We'll be rootin' for ya!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Heytvelt/2008-03-01AustinStMarysBench.jpg
Gonzaga players, from left, Steven Gray, Austin Daye and Josh Heytvelt
celebrate during the second half of a college basketball game against Saint
Mary's on Saturday, March 1, 2008 at the McCarthey Athletic Center in
Spokane, Wash. Gonzaga won 88-76.

GonzagaLove
08-01-2008, 11:11 AM
If Josh plays like we all know he is capable this year, the hype at the end of the season will be about him....not Austin. He can be that good, IMO.

MDABE80
08-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Add Pargo and Micah to that pic and if you think about each performing to their highest, you'll see a FF team in the making. Amazing talent. Amazing team. I suspect this will be the most exciting team we've seen in 10 years.

Add in Meech, Matt, Sacre, Ira, Big Will and this is a full team of frontliners. Amazing how Coach assembled these guys.

Reborn
08-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Watching Josh in that video really brings back a ton of memories I have about Josh that go all the way back to him playing in his high school regionals at Eastern Wash arena. He's certainly had some amazing dunks and blocks. To think of him in the video vs who he was last year, a guy who couldn't jump, really makes me feel excited for his final year too. I hope it is his best, and he has no injuries at all.

Wishing only the Best for you, Josh.

ChampZag
08-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Ok, I guess we all just have different ideas about what should've happened. Your right, there is millions of future dollars at risk, which is why in the NBA, players are sidelined for several months and possibly miss an entire season just to come back fulls strength. Nobody needs to prove to me his heart was in it, everybody stop tryin to rip me here, were on the same team here, I just wanna talk bball not defend myself. Cri-muh-nitt-lee

ChampZag
08-01-2008, 12:34 PM
i'm beginning to regret getting on here.....

gozagswoohoo
08-01-2008, 12:41 PM
i'm beginning to regret getting on here.....

No, you don't need to regret getting on here. I'm glad you've finally signed on. Nobody was taking personal shots at you or anything, your first post was just a little....how to say...forecoming? Is that a word?? I don't know.

But I can attest to everyone here that my bro was not trying to dog Josh, I know from all the conversations I have with my brother that he's Josh's biggest fan. They're both big men, they both have played through injuries, they both live for basketball...so in alot of ways they're quite a bit alike. My brother just pulls for Josh so much that he gets very worked up about him. I don't think anyone on this board can say that there wasn't atleast 2 seconds during last season where they looked at Josh and thought his "fire" was missing. That is just what my brother noticed. Now...I think we all now know that there might have been a reason his fire was missing, an injury. Many people react differently while playing through injuries, so, nobody can really judge Josh. There really isn't a way for anyone to win this argument, so I'll just ask people to lay off my bro, and just tell everyone to keep your fingers crossed that Josh comes back at 110% and takes this team to a FF!!!

GO JOSH!!!!!!!!!!

ZagNative
08-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Woohoo, your brother is missing the point. My posts with pics were intended to help your brother by changing the focus from jumping on your bro to looking forward to the coming season, while acknowledging Josh's challenges last season and trying to explain in some way my own sense of loyalty to and protectiveness about Josh and all Zag players.

Any other newbie beside wooohoo's brother who came in here, posted a negative comment about a zag fan in his very first post and then reacted angrily to a pretty much united chorus of disagreement, would be sporting a big old neg-rep black (red?) eye. I'm holding my fire for now and hoping he throws down his sense of defensiveness and comes out with his hands up.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/swatteamhj9.jpg

Wishing Woohoo's big bro the best and many happy hours on guboards!

gozagswoohoo
08-01-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm sorry, I apologize if I offended anyone, I just wanted to stay updated and have a conversation with other fans. Can I be forgiven and let's move on? I hope..

Yes

75Zag
08-01-2008, 02:29 PM
From everything I hear and read, Josh is a good guy. I trust him to provide the best effort he and his body and mind can give to GU this season. For myself, I hope he blows the socks off all of his doubters, critics, etc. and leads GU to a fantastic season on his way to the NBA. Wouldn't that be a fairytale result for a good kid from eastern Washington who chose to go to GU to play ball?

Go Josh Go!