• ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

GoZags.com - Matchups and Game Times in Orlando

From the Zags' official site (I bolded the stuff that was news to me):
    Bulldogs-Cowboys In Thanksgiving Day Finale
    Teams meet in nightcap of 2008 Old Spice Classic

July 29, 2008

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Gonzaga University and Oklahoma State University will be the Thanksgiving Day dessert when the two tip off in the 6 p.m. Pacific Time nightcap of the 2008 Old Spice Classic to be held at the Milk House at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex near Orlando, Fla.

ESPN Regional Television, Inc. (ERT), a subsidiary of ESPN, announced today the matchups for the third annual basketball showcase.

The event will include 12 games in three days, and will be broadcast on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU. This year marks the first time the Old Spice Classic will air on ESPN, with two games on the network. Tournament sponsors include Old Spice, ESPNU and Disney's Wide World of Sports, with the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) serving as the event's sponsoring conference.

The Bulldogs and Cowboys will be meeting for the third time since the 2004-05 season. The inaugural meeting came Dec. 28, 2004, at the All-College Challenge in Oklahoma City, Okla., as the 12th-ranked Bulldogs upset the third-ranked Cowboys 78-75. The last meeting was Dec. 10, 2005, at the Battle in Seattle in a game in which Adam Morrison's banked trey with 2.5 seconds left gave Gonzaga an improbable 64-62 victory.

Other Thanksgiving Day pairings have the University of Tennessee facing Siena College at 9 a.m. Pacific Time. Wichita State University will meet Georgetown University at 11 a.m. Pacific Time and the University of Maryland will battle Michigan State University at 4 p.m. Pacific Time.

All four Thanksgiving Day games will be televised on ESPN2.

"We are excited about the growth of this event and the quality of this field that represents outstanding conferences from around the country," said Pete Derzis, senior vice president and general manager, ESPN Regional Television. "The Old Spice Classic continues to provide a terrific off-the-court experience for the student-athletes, coaches and staffs. Fans have the opportunity to watch great college basketball games while also enjoying everything the Walt Disney World Resort and Orlando area have to offer."

The two teams that remain undefeated throughout the tournament will face off in a championship match at 4:30 p.m. Pacific Time Sunday, Nov. 25, on ESPN2.

The inaugural Old Spice Classic was played in 2006 with Arkansas defeating West Virginia in the championship game at Disney's Milk House. In 2007, North Carolina State edged Villanova for the Old Spice Classic championship.

"We loved this opportunity when we first signed on, and it just keeps getting better," said James Moorhead, Old Spice Brand Manager. "We think it has quickly become the pre-season basketball event of the season and we're excited to be partnering with ESPN to make that happen."

Tickets to the 2008 Old Spice Classic will go on sale August 15 online through Ticketmaster of by calling 407-839-3900. Fans can also purchase travel packages to the tournament through Anthony Travel online or by calling 1-800-736-6377.
    Note: The reference to the Championship game being on November 25 is obviously a typo. Should be November 30.

Does the following look like a correct visual representation of the brackets?

Edited to add: I need to edit that chart, because the tournament will feature loser brackets as well. Argh. That might be beyond my abilities and patience.

From a story govolsxtra.com (times in the story are EST:
    The winner of the Vols’ game plays the winner of the Georgetown-Wichita State game at 1 p.m. Friday (ESPN), while the losers meet at 10:30 a.m. Friday (ESPNU). The tournament concludes with four games on Sunday, the championship set for 7:30 p.m. (ESPN2).
    Last edited by ZagNative; 07-30-2008, 04:33 PM.
    • May 2008

Can't wait for Thanksgiving. I am going to Orlando to watch the Zags first hand. Well i guess i can't wait til August 15, for tickets. Hope i get them.
    "I enjoyed watching them play more than watching us play," Izzo said after watching his team eke out a 75-71 win over Gonzaga. "I thought they punched us in the mouth, picked us up and punched us in the mouth again."

Comment

• ZagNative
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I have family coming for Thanksgiving weekend in Spokane, or I'd be looking for tickets. We'll obviously be looking for a 3:00 or 4:00 PM sit-down time for dinner, so we can shoo out well in advance of tip off those unfortunates in the family who cannot be relied on to cheer for the Zags with enthusiasm.

Comment

Working...
      X