PDA

View Full Version : Year for upsets in NCAA???

ZagAddict
03-09-2007, 04:47 PM
There will be a lot of very good higher seed teams this year.... like:

Arizona
Syracuse
Boston College
Georgia Tech.
Air Force
Duke
Gonzaga
Kentucky
Michigan St.

I'm expecting more upsets (seed-wise) than normal this year in the NCAA Tournament. It will interesting to see how the Selection Committee awards seeds this year...

I can't wait until Sunday...:D

FuManShoes
03-09-2007, 05:30 PM
True, there are many big names poised to get higher (lower) seeds this year, but I wonder if in fact it will be that the unexpected names live up to their high seeds - WSU, Butler, So. Ill, Nevada, etc., and that the blue-bloods of old will go down meekly (with the exception of GU, which will play like the wolf in sheep's clothing that it is).

meadgrad02
03-10-2007, 04:43 AM
i could easily see Wazzu go down in the first or second rounds... there are a few places that teams have found to beat these guys... athletic, big inside... i see a few big upsets this year...

Rubbadub
03-10-2007, 05:54 AM
I forget who said it, but the quote was, "there are 50 different teams right now that could beat any other on a given night." I think that will be the tone for this tournament. :D

RenoZag
03-10-2007, 07:22 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch?id=58

Glockner's column this morning re: Bubble Teams, suggests with all of the conference tourney upsets on Thursday & yesterday, there's really only one at large slot left for the committee to award:

"If you believe Nevada and Xavier are in (which is a very safe bet), and you believe Purdue, Illinois and Kansas State are now likely to get there (which is pretty reasonable), that leaves only one at-large spot for the rest of the pool -- and that assumes that Memphis doesn't lose in the C-USA final Saturday.

Here's the pool of teams that appear to be in contention for that spot:

Air Force, Stanford, Florida State, West Virginia, Old Dominion, Drexel, Missouri State and Appalachian State."

Man, I am SO GLAD Gonzaga took care of business in the WCC. . .I don't think the OOC strength of schedule argument would have carried much weight.

FWIW, if Drexel gets left off the Big Dance roster of 65, they will have gotten royally hosed. . .

RebornZag
03-10-2007, 08:49 AM
I sure agree with you RenoZag: The important thing is we got in, and I believe the best way to enter the Dance Room is by winning your conference (6-9 of the last NCAA Champions won their conference tournament). That tells me we still have a good chance of winning it ALL!!!

I really wanted The Zags to win their tournament. Not so much out of fear of the Committee, but more because I felt we were Champions...we have that quality of Champs way more then anyone in our conference. I'm old fashioned, as you know, and I still believe winning your conference is a very BIG DEAL....Many will argue that the WCC is such a weak conference. But I would argue (and facts support it) winning your conference followed by winning your conference tournament, is the REAL DEAL....The Zags are the real deal.