PDA

View Full Version : Dickau To Russia?

ZagNut08
07-27-2008, 11:21 AM
http://www.solobasket.com/contenidos/zoco/europeo/marko/popovic/va/unics/dickau/domercant/exacbs/c-18626.html','71

It is in Russian, but I saw the tagline on hoopshype.com

MBZags
07-27-2008, 12:33 PM
It's in Spanish, but it says that it's just a "widely-spoken rumor" right now.

lawzag
07-27-2008, 01:36 PM
I will not verbatim translate the entire article here. But, the article which is in Spanish, states that there are rumors about the future of several players being discussed in Russia. It states that Marko Popovic knows where his future lays. He will go to the Russian “Unics Kazan.” The article goes on to say…

“Also, rumors exist over possible offers from the Unics to NBA players, following a market trend. The one about which there is the most discussion in Russia is Dan Dickau, Clippers’ guard with 6 years of experience in the NBA.”

VaBeachZAG
07-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Lets not forget, Dan is a family man now. So, Dan's options for signing to play in Russia would be to take his family there, or face prolonged absence from loved ones. I personally don't see it happening. Dan has many much better options available to him when his NBA playing days are over!

ZagNative
07-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Actually, the Oregonian story is dated July 31 (http://www.oregonlive.com/nba/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1217474723246870.xml&coll=7):
Europe calls, NBA answers
More players are finding improved salaries and perks overseas are an attractive option

hursday, July 31, 2008
GEOFFREY C. ARNOLD
The Oregonian Staff

Dan Dickau may face a dilemma. Take less money and play in the NBA or possibly earn more money and play in Europe.

The decision by Josh Childress to leave the Atlanta Hawks and sign with a European team last week has changed the way some players view playing overseas. European leagues have increased salaries, added perks and improved competition, giving Childress, Dickau and a growing number of experienced NBA players enough reasons to seriously consider playing overseas.

The trend could make contract negotiations more complex for professional basketball players.

"This is a whole new world for the NBA," said Marc Fleisher, former agent of former Blazers player Viktor Khryapa and pioneering European players Vlade Divac and Sarunas Marciulionis. "Now teams who used to think they could sit back and do nothing and sort of dare the player to go out and find a (contract) offer . . . are now in a position where they could lose a player for nothing."

That's what happened to Atlanta after Childress signed a three-year deal for up to $32.5 million with the Greek club, Olympiakos, on July 23.

Many former NBA players end up playing in Europe, usually at the end of their careers when they are no longer good enough to play in the NBA. But Childress' decision was significant because he was the first well-known, U.S.-born player in the prime of his career to reject an NBA team's contract offer and sign with a European club.

"It has to make NBA teams wary, because they are definitely vulnerable now," Fleisher said. "Particularly for the guys who they thought would get at or around the mid-level (exception contract), because it's easy for the best European clubs to exceed the (NBA) midlevel in their bids."

The midlevel exception this season is a maximum of $5.585 million a year.
According to Realgm.com, Unics Kazan, a team in the Russian Basketball Super League, has offered to pay Dickau $4 million a season for two years. Dickau, 29, averaged 5.3 points and 2.6 assists while playing in 67 games for the Los Angeles Clippers last season. Dickau, a former Blazers player who is from Vancouver and starred at Gonzaga, earned $770,610 last season and is an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Dickau's agent, Mark Bartlestein, didn't confirm the Unics report, though he did say a number of NBA and European teams are interested in the point guard.

"There's some folks we've spoken to in Russia," Bartlestein said. "There are a number of high-level teams that are pursuing him."

The money associated with Dickau reflects the aggressiveness shown by relatively unknown Russian teams, backed by billionaire owners willing to throw serious money at NBA players.
"David Stern has done a fantastic job of globalizing the sport, but all of sudden you're at a time where some of the assets are starting to leave," Fleisher said. "It's dangerous for the league, (and) that doesn't help the future marketing of the NBA."I too would be surprised to see Dan go to Russia, because of his devotion to his family. However, I think his kids are still pre-school age, so maybe he could keep them "cocooned," so maybe it wouldn't be too disruptive to them. I don't know about grandmas and grandpas left behind during the kiddies cutest years, though.

Regardless, I have no doubt Dan will try to do what he thinks is best for his family in the long term.

gamagin
07-31-2008, 09:23 AM
I believe he is vested in the NBA, meaning he's eligible for an excellent pension, whether he continues in the NBA or not.

If that is true, it would make sense for this talented young man to actually get some steady playing time and perhaps play the kind of basketball he and most of us think he can play.

He'd still be making plenty of money and at the same time, see if he can become an impact player, too.

that said, given the shaft too many U.S. players have reported getting over the years playing in Europe, I'd take the money in advance before I agreed to any deal overseas. The devil seems to be in the details.

There's a whole thread on the perils of European basketball on this GUB, involving Matt Sangangelo, Casey Calvary and others.

cjm720
07-31-2008, 10:16 AM
$4M a season versus $700K...take the money and run! It's only been a couple years since he averaged 13pt and 5a. I think he probably feels a bit undervalued and utilized in the NBA. He could step in over there and contribute immediately.

Side note: he was interviewed on KJR the other day and there was no mention of playing in Europe and there was plenty of talk of what NBA team he might land on. He also mentioned that he plans on coaching HS kids in VAncouver after his career. Also, he talked about his involvement or promotion (not sure to what degree) with the new - a 3 man hoops league.

Nevtelen
07-31-2008, 11:16 AM
I don't know much about Russian bball, but Dickau strikes me as a player who would really thrive in the very fundamentally-sound, often perimiter-strong European style. Whatever he does, I hope he's happy and valued where he ends up.

Ezag
07-31-2008, 01:20 PM
4 mill a season!! Russia here I come!

ZagNut08
07-31-2008, 02:24 PM
I guess it comes down to when is enough enough. He has made some good money in the NBA. I, personaly, could justify 2 years in Russia for $8mil. As long as I could agree that after 2 years I would come back to the states and either give the nba another shot, or hang it up and start something new. I think another 8 mil sets him up for a very nice life

ZagNative
08-01-2008, 09:13 AM
I think is a good, well-written take on the story, including some nice optimism expressed by Dan.

Going to be fun to see how things work out in the coming weeks. In the meantime, fingers crossed for something good happening for Dan:

Dickau Ponders Next move (http://www.columbian.com/sports/localNews/2008/07/08012008_Commentary-Dickau-ponders-next-move.cfm)
Friday, August 01, 2008
By BRIAN HENDRICKSON Columbian Staff Writer

A difficult choice is approaching Dan Dickau, though the former Prairie High School standout is in no rush to make a decision.

For now he is too occupied with his family, which added another member last weekend when Dickau’s wife, Heather, gave birth to their daughter Emma Jane. Their third child is keeping the family focused with their home life and less on basketball, even though Dickau is searching for a new home in the NBA.

But very soon, that search will bring Dickau to make a choice about his future that could lead him down a very different path.

He could press to stay in the NBA, where his career focus has always been set. He has repeatedly proven himself capable of competing in the league and feels he still belongs there.

On the other hand, Dickau could join the list of established NBA players bolting for Europe, where he said a few teams have contacted him. The money could be significantly larger there, as could his playing time and role.

That choice never had to be placed on the table before — guaranteed NBA money made it a moot point. But Dickau admits that Europe is now a more serious decision than ever before.
A report last weekend on basketball news site RealGM.com indicated that Russian club Unics Kazan had offered Dickau a two-year, $8 million contract, which amounts to a 400 percent raise over his Clippers contract last season.

But salary is only the start of the advantages Europe offers: Housing and taxes are usually paid by teams, and the increased value of the Euro compared to the weakened dollar means some European contracts are currently better than 50 percent more lucrative than American offers. So a 4 million Euro contract is worth the equivalent of a $6.2 million salary in America.

Dickau said he did not know anything about Unics Kazan’s offer. But he said the money Europe has been offering has made him think.

“It’s more serious than ever before,” Dickau said. “If Europe’s offering pretty good money, it’s a chance to see the world.”

But there are trade-offs to consider. Playing overseas would be complicated for a growing family. Dickau believes it would not be any different than if he would be traded to a different team — “it’s just in a different country,” he said. But Emma Jane’s birth also has changed his perspective on certain situations.

And then there’s Dickau’s ever-present desire to play in the NBA, which has always trumped the possibility of playing overseas. He does not see any reason to believe he will not get another NBA contract, and he does not appear ready to let go of that goal just yet.

“Something good has always popped up for me,” Dickau said. “I’m healthy. I’m coming off a pretty good year last year compared to the year before. I’ve done what I need to do.

“I feel like there’s something here for me.”Dan's sweet little family, pre-Emma:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Dickau/HeatherDickau.jpg

I wonder if that's the kids' Nana holding the little fella on the right. ZN didn't start her European travels until after she became a Nana. Maybe this would be a great opportunity for some of Dan's extended family to see more of the world as well. ;)

Still, Kazan looks like it's the hell-and-gone from anywhere, per this route map showing the relationship to Moscow, Russia. It's 500+ miles from Moscow, but viaMichelin.com says it's a ten-hour drive! Kazan's in Tatarstan. Man, there's some exotic history for that part of the world according to Wiki. Kazan is 1 million+ in population, but it sounded to me from Wiki like a pretty grim stereotypical most-WWII military-industrial complex town. Wonder what life is like there ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Dickau/kazanrussiaviamichelin.jpg

It's a big, big world out there, especially the world of the former USSR!

75Zag
08-01-2008, 04:43 PM
ZN, I am embarrassed that you beat me to reporting the story in my home town newspaper the Columbian. I thought the most interesting part of the article was Dan's quote to the newspaper that he did not know anything about Unics Kazan’s offer. Either Dan is being clever, or the sources are wrong.

Best to Dan and his family.

ZagNative
08-01-2008, 06:02 PM
I wonder what that means, 75. I guess I was assuming he was referring to the details of the offer and not it's existence. I guess I'll hold off on planning my itinerary for a Moscow, Kazan, Finland, Sweden, Norway tour till things firm up. ;)

Just kidding, though I will start fantasizing about travel abroad pretty much at the drop of a hat.

Zag 77
08-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Danny better think long and hard about this one. They put turnip and potato slices on their pizza.

Plus, keep in mind how many players in Europe never get paid when they go farther into Eastern Europe ( Just ask Matt Santangelo). Plus, I would not recommend complaining too loudly or you might end up in the bottom of the Caspian Sea wearing cement overshoes.

Remember what happened to the Wazzu kid that went off to play in Brazil and would up dying a mysterious death.

Maybe Danny would be best advised to stay home, pursue that broadcast career and change diapers.

Nevtelen
08-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Danny better think long and hard about this one. They put turnip and potato slices on their pizza.

Plus, keep in mind how many players in Europe never get paid when they go farther into Eastern Europe ( Just ask Matt Santangelo). Plus, I would not recommend complaining too loudly or you might end up in the bottom of the Caspian Sea wearing cement overshoes.

Remember what happened to the Wazzu kid that went off to play in Brazil and would up dying a mysterious death.

Maybe Danny would be best advised to stay home, pursue that broadcast career and change diapers.

Nothing wrong with living overseas - take it from someone who lived in Eastern Europe for a while. While I'm not crazy about the direction the Russian government is taking (or all the corruption at higher levels of society), there's a very small chance that any of that craziness would turn into something like getting killed. I really believe that everyone should live in another country for a while. It give you a different perspective on the world.

Still, it's still not even clear that the offer is legit, so I hope Dan make the best choice for himself and his family.

kitzbuel
08-04-2008, 08:24 AM

Remember what happened to that kid who played for U of New Mexico and ended up dead outside of Waco.
:confused:

MickMick
08-04-2008, 09:59 AM
I am prepared to follow/support foreign leagues (at the low level of merchandise purchase or perhaps Nielson ratings?) at the expense of the NBA. Putting former Zags there makes it even easier. As it is, I avoid following the NBA like the plague....except for Ronny.

The NBA needs competition to put a better product on the floor. Basketball purists grow weary of the athletic circus dominated by superstar bias refereeing. I prefer the Euro-style.

Zag 77
08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Dear Kitz,

Sorry if you feel I insulted Brazil and you needed to jump up to defend her honor. Nothing against Brazil. They gave us JP. I even had a grandmother born to Italian immigrants in Brazil who lived there for a few years. They have some great basketball players as well.

My point is that somebody in Dan's position has to be careful. It is one thing to go play in Italy, Spain or France. It is another to go play in other places in Europe and third world countries. Just ask Santangelo how much he is owed from Greece. Just ask Frahm how much he is owed from Turkey. My point is that Russia is not like going to Canada. Legalities and other issues of corruption are objectively facts you have to weigh.

Sure, you can get shot if you get involved in a dirty program in New Mexico, and you can get run over by a bus in Spokane as well as Timbuktu. However, if you talk to an insurance analyst dealing with risk, the likelihood of trouble is more likely in some places than others, and that is just being prudent.

I am just saying that if I were Dan with 3 little kids and money in the bank from his last multi-million dollar deal, maybe I might look at becoming a working stiff like the rest of us.

kitzbuel
08-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Dear Kitz,

Sorry if you feel I insulted Brazil and you needed to jump up to defend her honor. Nothing against Brazil. They gave us JP. I even had a grandmother born to Italian immigrants in Brazil who lived there for a few years. They have some great basketball players as well.

My point is that somebody in Dan's position has to be careful. It is one thing to go play in Italy, Spain or France. It is another to go play in other places in Europe and third world countries. Just ask Santangelo how much he is owed from Greece. Just ask Frahm how much he is owed from Turkey. My point is that Russia is not like going to Canada. Legalities and other issues of corruption are objectively facts you have to weigh.

Sure, you can get shot if you get involved in a dirty program in New Mexico, and you can get run over by a bus in Spokane as well as Timbuktu. However, if you talk to an insurance analyst dealing with risk, the likelihood of trouble is more likely in some places than others, and that is just being prudent.

I am just saying that if I were Dan with 3 little kids and money in the bank from his last multi-million dollar deal, maybe I might look at becoming a working stiff like the rest of us.
No insult preceived. My point was nothing more than pointing out a bizarre death involving a bball player in Brazil is no more relevant to the situation than the murder of Patrick Dennehy by Carlton Dotson at Baylor. Corruption and contractual obligations are definately more relevant.