PDA

View Full Version : Team results so far in the Las Vegas Tourneys

ZagNative
07-26-2008, 06:30 PM
We have a couple of Winners, with only the Compton Magic's game against Grassroots Canada Elite for the Adidas Super 64 Championship remaining (in progress right now)!

Adidas 64, Gold Division: Sam Dower's Net Gain Sports win the Gold Division Championship at the Adidas 64 (http://www.adidassuper64.com/Forms/2008/Brackets/Bracket4.pdf)

Main Event 17U Championship: Chris Cunningham's California Supreme win the Main Event 17U Plantinum Division Championship (http://visionsports.com/TME/2008/PDF/ME0817Ubracket.pdf). (Solomon Hill was listed on the Roster the first two games only and didn't score. I'm assuming he did not play. Don't know why.)

Main Event 16 U Championship: Joe Harris FOH Seattle 2 team makes the Final 4 of the (nsports.com/TME/2008/PDF/ME0816Ubracket.pdf)Gold Division before losing.

Adidas Super 64, Final Four: Tyler Honeycutt's Pump N Run Elite makes the Final Four before Losing to the ultimate champion Grassroots Canada Elite

Adidas Super 64, Elite Eight: Anthony Marshall's Las Vegas Prospects team Makes the Elite Eight before falling to a pesky Compton Magic team

Joe Burton's Compton Magic are playing Grassroots Canada Elite for the Championship right now, going into this final game 7-0! Too bad those Canadian kids can't play well enough to compete with US players, huh, OzZag?* Must be luck that got them into the finals!;)

Below is a table with all our prospects listed and my best guess at where their teams finished:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Recruits/0001-2008-07-26SummaryofJulyTourney.jpg

My eyes have yet to uncross from tracking down that info, so do not be surprised if you find some errors. I will not be surprised either, though I will be moderately mortified.

*Caveat re: Canadian ballers. I don't have the roster of that Grassroots Canada elite squad, but two of them, Tristan Thompson and Junior Cadougan are in high schools in the US. Is that because the competition is better? Or because they'll catch the eye of college recruiters more easily?

Edited to Add: Another member of that Grassroots Canada Elite team is Jason Calliste, who Rivals says goes to school in Toronto.

ZagNative
07-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Joe Burton's Compton Magic are runnerups in the Adidas Super 64 (http://www.adidassuper64.com/Schedule.aspx?TournamentID=4&Date=7%2f26%2f2008), as they fall to the champions, Grassroots Canada Elite. I haven't seen the full roster but know Tristan Thompson and Junior Cadougan are on that squad. Who else?

ZagNative
07-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Some additional notes about the Vegas Tourneys this weeekend:

From a July 21 story on BruinBlitz.com (http://bruinblitz.com/content.asp?CID=828474) previewing the Vegas tourneys. (it's a Rivals site, but I'm not logged in to Rivals but am able to read it, so maybe non-subscribers can too):

Grassroots Canada can't be slept on either. The kids from north of the border are a tough team to match up with thanks to Tristan Thompson, the nation's second ranked player in the class of 2010. And how impressive were the kids we've been tracking on GUboards.com whose teams have performed these games? (I'm thinking of Net Gains Sports, California Supreme, Pump N Run Elite, Compton Magic, and Las Vegas Prospects in the 17 U field and FOH 2 in the U16 field:

STACKED DECK

Just how important is Las Vegas to our national basketball recruiting team? Check out these numbers.

There will be 146 of the 250 basketball players nationally ranked by Rivals.com in Sin City this week. Talk about a stacked deck.

There will be 96 of the 150 ranked players In the class of 2009 rankings in Las Vegas. There will be 51 of the top 100 ranked players in the class in 2010 during the July 22-26 period.

The adidas Super 64 tournament boasts the biggest numbers of ranked players. There will be 71 nationally ranked players in the event (46 from the class of 2009 and 25 in 2010). There will be 40 ranked players in the Reebok Summer Championships (33 in the class of 2009 and seven in the class of 2010). The Main Event boasts 36 ranked players in the tournament field (17 in the class of 2009 and 19 in the class of 2010).

"We have always enjoyed scouting the intense competition at the Las Vegas events," Rivals.com National Basketball Recruiting Analyst Jerry Meyer said. "Certainly a prospect's stock isn't based solely on how he performs at a single event, but Las Vegas is a platform for a prospect to step up his game and make a lasting impression."

MDABE80
07-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Good work ZN. Man thats a lot of work!!! Thank you on behalf of all of us.

ZagNative
07-26-2008, 08:55 PM
ZN's got a pinched nerve in her back right now, so laptop in the living room is her friend. And you're right: It was a lot of work to look it all up.

*The fact that ZN is just a tad obsessive-compulsive has nothing to do with it! ;)

SDzagster
07-26-2008, 09:06 PM
I agree with Abe about all the work ZN puts in - hope someone can slip her a couple of tickets for a game in K2 this year.

thespywhozaggedme
07-26-2008, 09:52 PM
As the self professed Canadian prep hoops expert(graciously passing the torch down to Ozz:D ), this brings me great pride and joy. That being said, I've never even heard of the guy who won the mvp, Richard Armardi. Here's a couple of pics of the champs and of Mr. Armardi I guess we'll have to start looking at him.

http://www.adidassuper64.com/

ZagNative
07-26-2008, 10:40 PM
spy, the reference to OzZag was made because of a comment he made to me about Canadian ballers being dissed by some on this board. Your Canadian hoops credentials are well known and in tact.

Incidentally, since making that original post, I edited it a bit to reflect that:

Anthony Marshall's Las Vegas Prospects finished in the Elite Eight rather than the Final Four

Jeff Reid's KC Pump N Run third-place finish in the brackets was actually the equivalent of a Sweet 16 round loss and, additionally, was in the good-news-bad-news category, as KC Pump N Run fell to Anthony Marshall's Las Vegas Prospects

Josh Smith's Rotary Select 1's third-place finish in the brackets was also actually the equivalent of a Sweet 16 round loss and, additionally, was in the bad-news-bad-news category, as Rotary Select 1 fell to Grassroots Canada Elite, who were settin' 'em up and knockin 'em down on their way to the Championship.

Also added the observation that Tyler Honeycutt's Pump N Run Elite's Final Four loss came at the hands of that peril from the north, the ultimate champion, Grassroots Canada Elite.
Now, we'll see if I sneak back in later for further housekeeping changes, as we like to call fixing bonehead errors here at Casa ZN.

Zagineer
07-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks, ZN for sharing the results of all your hard work and hours of digging up the information with all of us.

ZagNative
07-26-2008, 11:30 PM
This tidbit, from an ESPN story covering the Friday games (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3506400), left me amused, helping to explain Josh Smith's Rotary Select 1's early out:

If the contest between the New England Playaz and the Wedman Pumas was one of the better played games of the summer, then the quarterfinal match up between Grassroots Canada Elite and Seattle Rotary Select was just what you'd expect in a summer contest. There were untimely fouls, highlight dunks, technical fouls, rowdy fans and questionable officiating.

There is no questioning the talents, however, of Seattle Rotary's Anthony Wroten Jr. The 6-foot-4 2011 off guard prospect displayed an all-around game that makes him one of the five best players we've seen this week in Las Vegas. He has a high basketball IQ, is a tremendous athlete and can score in a variety of ways. He finished with a game-high 31 points, including five three-pointers, but Wroten Jr. and his team is done at the Super 64 as Grassroots Canada pulled out a dramatic 79-76 victory.

With Seattle Rotary clinging to a 76-75 lead, Grassroots Canada guard Junior Cadougan was fouled on a three-pointer with .8 seconds left. He made two of three and the Seattle Rotary coach was called for a technical foul to account for the team's final point. Argh! I love it when a coach behaving badly at a critical moment potentially causes his kids to lose the game. (Remember that Jeff Taylor game for the NM State championship when his coach got a technical that put Clovis ahead and Jeff had to come back with a last second basket to pull out the win?)

There's lots of good stuff in that ESPN Story, BTW.

Oh, also, I think author is either confused or is referring to the upper bracket only. The upper bracket and the lower bracket advanced to a combined bracket for the ultimate championship, and in the combined brackets, Seattle Rotary finished in the third (or Sweet 16) round. Link to pdf file is here (http://www.adidassuper64.com/Forms/2008/Brackets/Bracket4.pdf), with upper bracket on the first page and lower bracket on the second page.

ZagNative
07-27-2008, 12:30 AM
I swear I'm going to bed right after posting this link to a story in the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-vegas27-2008jul27,0,83734.story):
Though the team's roots are in the city, its roster does not have one player who lives there, but these days it's about attracting top talent regardless of where it's from.
By Ben Bolch, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
July 27, 2008
LAS VEGAS -- Where, exactly, would the Compton Magic have held its victory parade had it won the Adidas Super 64 tournament?

The club basketball team has players from San Jacinto, Santa Barbara, Sacramento and Sahuarita, Ariz., among other places. It does not have one player from Compton.

The Magic's only player with ties to the city, Compton Centennial High guard Deonta Burton, had to return to his Los Angeles home earlier this week because of family issues.

Burton's teammates gamely played on, rallying from a nine-point, second-half deficit Saturday evening in the Adidas championship game before losing in double overtime, 88-79, to Grassroots Canada Elite at Las Vegas Rancho High.

It was the Magic's first defeat since May.

"We had a great streak going," said guard Roberto Nelson, whose three-point basket with seven seconds left in regulation forced the first overtime.

Compton lost to a Canadian team that was also something of a misnomer. Grassroots' roster is mostly made up of Canadian-born players who compete for U.S. high schools. Junior forward Tristan Thompson, a native of Brampton, Ontario, plays in New Jersey and has committed to Texas.

The Magic's jerseys feature a collection of black-and-white stars running vertically along each side set against a yellow background. Yet the team features no stars, just talent.

There's Nelson, the flashy guard from Santa Barbara High who scored 24 points in the title game; brawny forward Joe Burton of Hemet West Valley High, whose exit early in the second overtime after fouling out accelerated the Magic's demise; and guard Justin Hawkins of Woodland Hills Taft High, who has a smooth pull-up jumper. The list goes on.

Etop Udo-Ema, the Magic's founder and director, said he started the team in 1995 to keep the players he helped coach at Compton High together in the off-season "so people wouldn't steal them."

His early teams featured Compton stars Tito Maddox and Jeff Trepagnier, among others from the area. They were known as Team Reebok back then, becoming the Magic in 1999.

Udo-Ema said his team no longer features many Compton players because "you have to get the best kids to fit the team. Not that there's not good players in Compton right now, [but] you have to get the most competitive group you can, no matter where the kids are from."

So why still call it the Compton Magic?

"That's how we made our bones," Udo-Ema said. "That's where it all started."

Magic players said they liked the name.

"You can say it's weird," Hawkins said, "but not to us because we're so used to it."

Said Nelson: "I don't really think about it too much. I've been playing with a lot of these guys since the seventh grade. It's basically a family."There's more in that story here (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-vegas27-2008jul27,0,83734.story), including a bit about California Supreme 79-70 victory over Houston Hoops to win in the 17-under platinum division championship of the Main Event.

thespywhozaggedme
07-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Jason Calliste, anyone:

From a Rivals.com Article -- Not sure if it was premium or not...

SIMPLY SUPER

There might not be a better way to end the week's event than a double overtime thriller to decide the championship at the adidas Super 64 tournament.

Grassroots Canada had to fight tooth and nail to claim an 88-79 victory and championship title against Compton Magic on Saturday night. Tristan Thompson and Jason Calliste combined for 15 of their team's 20 overtime points to earn the coveted trophy.

If there was one thing the gym learned it is that Thompson is a cool customer at the foul line. He sunk 15 of 22 freebies, eight in the in extra periods.

Calliste may have been the biggest stock booster guard in the entire adidas Super 64 field this week. He proved himself as a valuable scorer and tough customer in the backcourt.

"Coach just always told us to never give up," Thompson said. "We had to stay strong in every game."

That had been the motto all tournament long for the Grassroots squad. No game was an easy game and several matches went into an overtime period.

Calliste used a cross-over dribble to a step back three several times was a deadly weapon. His ball-handling frustrated Roberto Nelson all game and Calliste got the better of the Rivals150 guard. Calliste finished with 29 points. Junior Cadougan capped off his week with a 22 point performance in the championship game.

Compton stayed strong throughout, thanks in large part to the scoring punch of Roberto Nelson, who hit a key three-pointer with eight seconds left to play to send the game into overtime.

Nelson had no reason to hang his head at the game's end. He scored a team high 26 points in the defeat and made big shots to keep the game close.

Forward Joe Burton added 23 points and was a beast on the glass and as a passer. He made several hustle plays, including diving for a ball and making a halfcourt pass while lying on the floor on his back.

OZZag
07-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Jason Calliste, anyone:

From a Rivals.com Article -- Not sure if it was premium or not...

SIMPLY SUPER

There might not be a better way to end the week's event than a double overtime thriller to decide the championship at the adidas Super 64 tournament.

Grassroots Canada had to fight tooth and nail to claim an 88-79 victory and championship title against Compton Magic on Saturday night. Tristan Thompson and Jason Calliste combined for 15 of their team's 20 overtime points to earn the coveted trophy.

If there was one thing the gym learned it is that Thompson is a cool customer at the foul line. He sunk 15 of 22 freebies, eight in the in extra periods.

Calliste may have been the biggest stock booster guard in the entire adidas Super 64 field this week. He proved himself as a valuable scorer and tough customer in the backcourt.

"Coach just always told us to never give up," Thompson said. "We had to stay strong in every game."

That had been the motto all tournament long for the Grassroots squad. No game was an easy game and several matches went into an overtime period.

Calliste used a cross-over dribble to a step back three several times was a deadly weapon. His ball-handling frustrated Roberto Nelson all game and Calliste got the better of the Rivals150 guard. Calliste finished with 29 points. Junior Cadougan capped off his week with a 22 point performance in the championship game.

Compton stayed strong throughout, thanks in large part to the scoring punch of Roberto Nelson, who hit a key three-pointer with eight seconds left to play to send the game into overtime.

Nelson had no reason to hang his head at the game's end. He scored a team high 26 points in the defeat and made big shots to keep the game close.

Forward Joe Burton added 23 points and was a beast on the glass and as a passer. He made several hustle plays, including diving for a ball and making a halfcourt pass while lying on the floor on his back.

Jason is a Toronto-based 6'2" shooting guard and is ranked by some as just behind Manny as the 2nd best Canadian SG in his 2009 class. He is ranked just in front of Simon Bibeau (also NEDA) by one site (although another expert in Canadian talent didn't even rate him as a top 4 guard in Ontario) . Jason has not played any ball for the National program and did not play in the 2008 All Canada Classic (supposedly the best of graduating Canadian players).

He has not comitted to any D1 program as yet.

OZZag
07-27-2008, 05:00 PM
ZN

Re players from Canada playing at top schools in the US, both suggestions are correct. Until NEDA came along, most of the Easter Canadian players chose to move south for both better competition and a better chance at recruitment. Western Canadain players have for the most part ended to stay at home (the major exception was Jordan Bachynski a 7' centre who played down south last year).

Junior Cadougan (who, without a doubt has a chance to be the best point guard from Canada not named Steve Nash!) ran the Grassroots team and has huge experience (ranked in the top ten PG for the 2009 class). Junior left Canada believe it or not because of the violence int he area he lived in (I believe from memeory that his younger brother was a victim of a gunshot).

As good as Tristan and Jason are, without Junior they would not have won the tournament.

NEDA has now given Canadian players a chance to get the better competition and an increased profile. It will be very interesting to see who they pick up next (although the intake will only be 1 or 2 players this year).

It would be interesting to see how the NEDA team would have fared at one of the tournaments.....

thespywhozaggedme
07-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Hey Ozz,
Yeah, Junior is a good one, but he's a little on the chubby side and it'll catch up with him if he doesn't watch it. Who's the guy who won mvp, Richard Armadri? I've never even heard of him and he's not even listed in any of the write ups; just TT, JC and JC. Despite the pitiful showing against USA, Team Canada of 5 years from now will be sick;

PG: Junior Cadugoan
SG: Manny Arop
SF: Bol Kong
PF: Tristan Thompson
C: Rob Sacre

Not to mention Corey and Kris Joseph, Olu Ashuola, Kai Williams, etc.

OZZag
07-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Hey Ozz,
Yeah, Junior is a good one, but he's a little on the chubby side and it'll catch up with him if he doesn't watch it. Who's the guy who won mvp, Richard Armadri? I've never even heard of him and he's not even listed in any of the write ups; just TT, JC and JC. Despite the pitiful showing against USA, Team Canada of 5 years from now will be sick;

PG: Junior Cadugoan
SG: Manny Arop
SF: Bol Kong
PF: Tristan Thompson
C: Rob Sacre

Not to mention Corey and Kris Joseph, Olu Ashuola, Kai Williams, etc.

Richard plays for a Toronto High school (Churchill). He is a 6'8" PF who is certainly not a household name in recruiting, that should change. Just picked up a bit more infromation off the Hoop-LA canada website. There is a game scheduled soon that will feature Richard along with some other Toronto and US based players (including Galiardi, the Joseph brothers and Cadougan). Anyone from TO should have a look.

http://www.thehoop-la.com/CFG.php

With regards to the future team for Canada you are right, there is some decent talent coming up (note that Myck Kabongo, St. Benedicts Prep Sophmore also played for the Grassroots team as well).

I am note sure if Bol will ever be able to play for Canada because of the VISA/Citizenship issue.

kitzbuel
07-28-2008, 04:47 AM
We have a couple of Winners, with only the Compton Magic's game against Grassroots Canada Elite for the Adidas Super 64 Championship remaining (in progress right now)!

Adidas 64, Gold Division: Sam Dower's Net Gain Sports win the Gold Division Championship at the Adidas 64 (http://www.adidassuper64.com/Forms/2008/Brackets/Bracket4.pdf)

Main Event 17U Championship: Chris Cunningham's California Supreme win the Main Event 17U Plantinum Division Championship (http://visionsports.com/TME/2008/PDF/ME0817Ubracket.pdf). (Solomon Hill was listed on the Roster the first two games only and didn't score. I'm assuming he did not play. Don't know why.)

Main Event 16 U Championship: Joe Harris FOH Seattle 2 team makes the Final 4 of the (nsports.com/TME/2008/PDF/ME0816Ubracket.pdf)Gold Division before losing.

Adidas Super 64, Final Four: Tyler Honeycutt's Pump N Run Elite makes the Final Four before Losing to the ultimate champion Grassroots Canada Elite

Adidas Super 64, Elite Eight: Anthony Marshall's Las Vegas Prospects team Makes the Elite Eight before falling to a pesky Compton Magic team

Joe Burton's Compton Magic are playing Grassroots Canada Elite for the Championship right now, going into this final game 7-0! Too bad those Canadian kids can't play well enough to compete with US players, huh, OzZag?* Must be luck that got them into the finals!;)

Below is a table with all our prospects listed and my best guess at where their teams finished:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Recruits/0001-2008-07-26SummaryofJulyTourney.jpg

My eyes have yet to uncross from tracking down that info, so do not be surprised if you find some errors. I will not be surprised either, though I will be moderately mortified.

*Caveat re: Canadian ballers. I don't have the roster of that Grassroots Canada elite squad, but two of them, Tristan Thompson and Junior Cadougan are in high schools in the US. Is that because the competition is better? Or because they'll catch the eye of college recruiters more easily?

Edited to Add: Another member of that Grassroots Canada Elite team is Jason Calliste, who Rivals says goes to school in Toronto.
That's it! All credibility is gone! You spelled Abdul Gaddy wrong!

:jk:

Good, concise wrap up of what is up.

Thx

ZagNative
07-28-2008, 10:10 AM
California Preps.com story (http://californiapreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=830800) about California Supreme's winning game for the championship of the Main Event 17-U Division. (It's a Rivals story, but I think it's free.) There's no mention of either Solomon Hill or Chris Cunningham in the story, but I liked the photo of the championship California Supreme team:

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/968/662680.jpg

Chris Cunningham was #34 on that team, and Solomon Hill #44. I believe that Chris is second from the right in the back row and Solomon Hill is in street clothes on the far left. Hill was on the roster stats the first two games only but there were no stats for him, and he wasn't on the roster after that. I'm assuming he must have been injured or ill and did not play in the event.

Chris had only modest output during the tournament, so far as I can tell:

In 73-81 loss to King James Shooting Stars: 6 pts, 4 rb*
In 77-79 loss to FOH Seattle: 6 pts, 5 rb
In 86-77 win over Portland Legends: 2 pts, 0 rb
In 61-43 win over CentexShooters: 4 pts, 0 rb
In 69-48 win over JJ Hoops: 13 pts, 7 rb
In 82-60 win over Jacksonville Rockets: 2 pts, 5 rb
In 82-66 win win over Dallas Heroes: 6 pts, 2 rb*
In 75-65 win over Mac Irvin Fire: 4 pts, 0 rb
In 79-70 win over Houston Hoops for the Championship: 4 pts, 6 rb

They didn't show minutes theplayers played on the site where I found the stats.

*I think the stats on the King James and Dallas Heroes games are incomplete, as the box score total didn't match the final score total. Anyway, points and rebounds stat sheet for the tournament for Chris doesn't look like anything to write home about. I like the kid, though.