PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Change the Outcome of any Zag Game Ever, Which Would it Be?

NEZAGFAN
07-23-2008, 05:30 PM
While I know it's not good to dwell on the past, I'm just wondering what one game you would change the outcome of and why.

I know I would change the outcome of the UCLA game in 2006 because it would of meant one more game to watch Adam and another berth in the elite 8. I also believe we had a legitimate shot of winning it all that year.

ZaggyStardust
07-23-2008, 05:32 PM
I know I would change the outcome of the UCLA game in 2006 because it would of meant one more game to watch Adam and another berth in the elite 8. I also believe we had a legitimate shot of winning it all that year.

DITTO - AGREED - WITHOUT A DOUBT - I still have nightmares about that game!

RenoZag
07-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Uconn, 3/20/99

BobZag
07-23-2008, 05:36 PM
A win over UConn in '99 puts the Zags in the Final Four. Hmmmm.

That said, I agree with the above.

sittingon50
07-23-2008, 05:50 PM
There were several that hurt a lot worse but I would say the Arizona 2OT game. Had they won that they would have taken Notre Dame apart the next game & again been 1 game away from the Final 4. A weeks worth of buzz after that mesmerizing Zona game would have been invaluable with recruiting, etc.

MedZag
07-23-2008, 06:02 PM
I think winning that UCLA game would have meant more to the Gonzaga "legacy" than winning the UConn game.

maineblackbear
07-23-2008, 06:20 PM
the truth is-- that I would not change anything. Yes, the UConn game and the UCLA game (actually, the Purdue game was awful to suffer through, also . . .) BUT-- who are we? Well, no matter what answer you come to, you are where you are at because of where you have been. I love GU and part of it is because of the losses. If it was wins and victories, would you really give a *&%^%&^%? No-- we are where we are at because of the losses and the wins and the reason we are who we are is because of where we have been and there is no way to wish for different . . . without ultimately and forever changing who WE are and who Gonzaga is . . . Would Ronny have come to GU if we had gone to the final four in 99--maybe, but would we still have been recruiting him? etc. . . for all the players-- JP, Ammo-- the room for the players we have now. . .

Look-- my name is Maineblackbear--a GU grad from '98, but Maine lost 4-3 OT in NCAA hockey (leading 3-2 with fifty three seconds left against Minn)-- we lost 1-0 to Denver (hitting two effin posts in the last minute, with a five on three advantage and a pulled goalie (thats right 6-3) and beat them like a drum for most of the game. I am from Pittsburgh and watched Barry Bonds throw the ball up the line to Spanky (Lavalliere) allowing former Bucco Sid Bream to score to knock the 'burgh out in '91-- apparently forever, they have not been to the playoffs since . . .

The sad and sorry thing about sports is that it is not about winning. That is easy-- sports is about losing. That is what defines us and our story and our role and our image and it is where we are when we lose that tell us about who we are. Winning sux. I have won many things in my life.

But I have learned more and earned more and become who I am because of my losses. That is the gem of sports.

Sorry for the long post and yeah, I am rooting for the Zags to win it all every year-- but I am always open to what I learn from losing.

Maineblackbear.

bartruff1
07-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Ucla

MississppiZag
07-23-2008, 06:30 PM
I like winning, it makes me happy.:)

The poll is about Gonzaga not the individual. So with that said i would change any loss that ended the season.

thespywhozaggedme
07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
I literally read the thread title and said, "UCLA" in one breath. we were without a doubt a ff team. UGH, thanks for the bad memories! :( J/K

Thomas_Sutpen
07-23-2008, 06:40 PM
11/17/07 vs. UC Riverside

Actual game: GU 84, UCR 48
My fantasy outcome: GU 87, UCR 48

That one has been nagging me for months.

maineblackbear
07-23-2008, 06:42 PM
ok--the first thought I had too was UCLA-- but htink of the solidarity we feel, the visceral reaction we have and the unity we have developed- we know who we are because we can say UCLA and know what all of us are talking about-- thus, our identity has been (partially) fulfilled by that loss . . . who we are is underlined by that loss--so how can we say that loss is bad . . . it is a take off on the South Park line (good old Matt and Trey)-- if there was no evil then there could be no good so it must be good to be evil sometime. If we had won those games, we would not be who we are. We are defined by our losses and not by our wins. MBB

MississppiZag
07-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Then we would be defined as a final four team.:)

I know what you mean MBB

Just A Zag
07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
ucla...we haaaaaad it :(

krozman
07-23-2008, 07:03 PM
The gut reaction is UCLA because of the way we lost that game, and how it just ripped your heart out watching the horror.

However, as I think about it, I don't want to change the fate of Gonzaga's most famous collapse because that would give too much credit to that team that (lets face it) allowed the collapse to happen.

I also don't want to give it to the Elite 8 team, because the Gonzaga fans (many of whom read this board) would raise their expectations EVEN MORE than we have now, and lets face it - we're a spoiled fanbase by having such a great team every year.

Not doing the research here, but I want the game we lost in K2 that broke the home winning streak record we were managing. I want people to fear K2, and maintaining perfection is something I would have liked more than one more game in some random NCAA game one of the ten years we've been.

zagfan24
07-23-2008, 07:17 PM
1) UCLA - the most utterly painful 2 minutes I have ever endured
2) UConn - Final four woulda been so nice
3) Zona - poor Blake Stepp...

Non-Tourney Game

Memphis in the Spokane Arena -- it was already a tremendous game I just would have loved to see it end differently. That said...with games like Michigan State and Oklahoma State I can't complain about great games and how they ended up for the Zags.

TennesseeFan07
07-23-2008, 07:24 PM
The most devastating loss I've witnessed by a team would have to be the UCLA game in '06. So if I was a Zag fan that'd definitely be the game I'd change.

deathchina
07-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Texas Tech was painful. Obviously the UCLA game was a tough ending...But for me, TT was more frustrating because we had so much more talent than they did, especially in the frontcourt with JP, Ronny and Ammo. I was definitely expecting to beat Texas Tech, especially after watching the first half and seeing they had nobody that could match up with our bigs.

Spike94
07-23-2008, 08:02 PM
It took me only a split second for that answer. Though the UConn game would have gotten us into the final four, I think the loss to UCLA psychologically set the entire program back. Have we made a real run since? Maybe those two have no correlattion, but they do in my mind. Anyway, only an opinion.

zagfan1
07-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Either the UCLA game or UCONN. We had so many weapons in each game. In the UCONN game if Q Hall wouldn't have fouled out we would have had a chance. GU was thirsting for that victory. The whole nation was on its feet as we played toe to toe with the best team in the country. The UCLA game was disappointing because I was really liking how E Knight was playing in the tournament. He really was dominating and showed UCLA what it means to "sky" over someone and dunk the ball and play "like a man among boys." That was fantastic. We also had Batista who just was a beast and it was unfortunate how he fumbled the ball away. If the outcome of the UCLA game had changed and we had won the world would realize that GU was no fluke in 99 and could make it again to at least the elite 8 and a possible final four appearance again. We had the best balance of any team with Morrison and company and I know if we had beaten UCLA we would have given Florida a run for their money you better believe it.

BoltZag
07-23-2008, 08:29 PM
19.7 seconds: LOOSE BALL...AND FOUL...ON WHO?

13.4 seconds: AND A STEAL...FARMER...INSIDE...THE FRESHMAN, UP...OH AND THEY GO IN FRONT...

2.6 seconds: U-C-L-A...WHAT A GAME!

No...not what a game. What a shame. Long drive home from Oak-town that night.

Nevtelen
07-23-2008, 08:32 PM
UCLA was waaaaay too painful. Definitely that game.

BUT, just to be different than most, I might say the Wyoming game. Not that that loss was as painfull as the UCLA loss, but there was so much potential on that squad that went unfulfilled that year in the postseason because of that one bad game.

Das Zagger
07-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Uconn, 3/20/99

Why isn't this everyone's answer? Seconds away from being West Regional (or Phoenix, can't remember when the changed the naming conventions) champs and on to St. Pete.

With how that team jelled at the end of the season, wow, what might have been. Duke would have been tough but no doubt we would have beaten tOSU.

zagfan08
07-23-2008, 09:34 PM
UCLA. For 2 reasons. First, I really think we would have played for the National Title that year. We would have beat Memphis, beat LSU and then played Florida. We had a great team with everything you could ask for. Great scorer with AMMO, Raivio was a great point guard, JP was a great post, and we had a great defender in Knight.

The second reason to change that game to a W is so I don't have to live knowing how we gave away such a great opportunity. I still remember those last 3 minutes like it was yesterday. So painful..

MDABE80
07-23-2008, 09:59 PM
UCONN game...we fought to the bitter end and a FF would have changed everything much sooner.

UCLA....we gave that one away. Lost all poise, made Few look awful. one big mess.

TheZagPhish
07-23-2008, 10:35 PM
UCLA was gut wrenching. I remember it in an out of body way; I can see my gaped mouth, my outstretched arms, my helpless, forlorn gaze at my head-shaking wife. Ugh. Hurts just thinking about it.

ZagNut08
07-23-2008, 11:27 PM
UCLA, I still feel sick when I think of that game

ZagsGoZags
07-24-2008, 12:11 AM
without a moment's hesitation, and I confess I have only been a ZAG maniac since about 2001, it is the UCLA game in the Sweet Sixteen game, when we had Ravio, Ammo, and Batista

WestSeattleZag
07-24-2008, 12:53 AM
ucla, I don't know how it could be any other game. I feel bummed out when I re-watch the uconn highlights, but it makes me happy we got that far. I made a promise to myself never to watch anything about the ucla game ever again in my life...The only time I ever sat in a room by myself with the lights off, actually re-evaluating my life. The Zona 2OT game was a heartbreaker but still awesome.

freezer12
07-24-2008, 03:06 AM
The gut reaction is UCLA because of the way we lost that game, and how it just ripped your heart out watching the horror.

However, as I think about it, I don't want to change the fate of Gonzaga's most famous collapse because that would give too much credit to that team that (lets face it) allowed the collapse to happen.

I also don't want to give it to the Elite 8 team, because the Gonzaga fans (many of whom read this board) would raise their expectations EVEN MORE than we have now, and lets face it - we're a spoiled fanbase by having such a great team every year.

Not doing the research here, but I want the game we lost in K2 that broke the home winning streak record we were managing. I want people to fear K2, and maintaining perfection is something I would have liked more than one more game in some random NCAA game one of the ten years we've been.

That would be against Santa Clara. I believe it ended at 50 even, but I could be wrong. I'll never forget that night.

Also, the game I'd change is the Zag@SCU game this past season. Brody fouled Gray right in front of me. I was in shock the rest of the game. I still can't believe it. Sigh....

Oh, and if I was a Zag, I'd also say UCLA, but not for the collapse. I'd say that because then Morrison wouldn't have been seen crying before the game had ended. He lost a lot of respect across the country at that moment. I mean, you guys still had a chance to win. More people remember him for that than for the fact that he was such a prolific scorer. Personally, I'll always remember him for the latter.

MontanaZag
07-24-2008, 03:28 AM
UCLA was a bad bad day, not only the most heartbreaking loss in history, but as I stormed out of the local tavern in a rage I found that my keys were locked in my car.:mad:

LongIslandZagFan
07-24-2008, 05:53 AM
Very tough call. I'd go with UCLA, with Arizona a close second. For some weird reason, I think if we had gone Final Four that first year, we'd have ended up being a George Mason.

Puddy
07-24-2008, 05:57 AM
Ucla, Nevada, texas tech, Uconn

omahazag
07-24-2008, 06:11 AM
UCLA, without a doubt....still get sick thinking about it and the annoying little UCLA fan in the corner of the bar talking smack as we all left....

BroncoZAG615
07-24-2008, 06:20 AM
UCLA.

Drove down from Spoakne to Oakland. Great tailgate.

All the students were placed in front of old UCLA fans so we stood the entire game getting yelled at by them.

In fact, one hurled a burrito which hit me square in the back.

GoZags
07-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Interesting topic, but generally my preference is to look forward, and not at the past.

Even now I don't take anything for granted -- and I continue to enjoy each victory. And I also continue to think GU's best days on the court lie ahead of us. GoZags

P.S. There have been some gutwrenching heartbreakers already mentioned. If pressed -- I'd have to say the '98 WCC conference tourney title game -- when the Zags were beaten by the Dons. I've always considered that 24-win Gonzaga team one of GU's best. It would have been interesting to me to see how they'd have done in the big dance.

jazzdelmar
07-24-2008, 07:01 AM
The UCLA loss set back the program and Few's rep.....neither has come back all the way yet....The Zona gm was a joy, even as a loss.....Losing to a team with 25 NBA futures was no disgrace....Bankhead still makes that shot and he was open....Wyo cuz it was the last of the great one.......UCONN, yea, but that was all a dream, wasn't it? So it wd hafta be UCLA......Howland has never looked back....we have yet to look forward 100%.....as for TT games, the General is a great coach......

zagbac
07-24-2008, 07:18 AM
I can tell you which game I wouldn't change - Florida. Chills

Zona game for me. The nation was watching and wanting the win.

UCLA was a shame and even if we had won the doubt seed was planted because of the terrible collapse.

SteelCityZag
07-24-2008, 08:21 AM
U. C. L. A.

It took a perfect storm of disasters to lose that game. As lucky as I felt to be in attendance for the Florida game in '99, being in Oakland that day still makes my stomache tighten up. The sound the Bruin-heavy crowd made when they took the lead...and after they had been silenced for so much of the game. Yeeeesh. I never want to hear that sound again.

BroncoZAG615
07-24-2008, 08:37 AM
UCLA was a shame and even if we had won the doubt seed was planted because of the terrible collapse.

This is such a painful thread.

We could have beaten Memphis that year. :mad:

MickMick
07-24-2008, 09:24 AM
UCLA

I want another crack at em.

BroncoZAG615
07-24-2008, 09:32 AM
I think I hate UCLA so much because people for some odd reason think Mbah a Moute (sp?) is good.

He's my least favorite player in college basketball history possibly.

Rubbadub
07-24-2008, 09:33 AM
1999 Minnesota/Atlanta NFC Championship game...

Just kidding. Definitely will go with UCLA.

Frazzle
07-24-2008, 09:34 AM
I agree that this is a painful thread, yet I fill compelled to offer my own opinion: UCLA.

Like many of you on this board, I am an alum and have watched a lot of Gonzaga games, games that bring me many fond memories and some, like those mentioned by others (Zona, Nevada, Wyoming, UCLA), bring sadness.

I am happy to report, however, that the good memories outnumber the bad and keep me coming back for more year after year. Each year I get so excited about the start of the season that I can hardly sleep thinking about the possibilities. We are truly blessed to witness the success that is Gonzaga Basketball year in and year out. In fact, we are, in my opinion, still on the upswing.

GO ZAGS!

75Zag
07-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Sitting there in the Oakland Coliseum closely surrounded by a thousand a-hole UCLA fans, watching them get quiet as GU outplayed then, and then enduring the long walk out past all the screaming UCLA fans after Morrison and Company committed the greatest fold in the history of collgege basketball was a God awful horrible experience. Then we boarded the GU buses to take us back to the country club where the Alumni pre-game function was held, so we had to ride for 20 minutes with sobbing / shell-shocked GU fans while the grinning bus driver loudly played the UCLA homer radio announcers singing and dancing about the inevitiblity of UCLA dominance over mediocre talent.

My father's funeral was tough, but it was 10 times more enjoyable than the loss to UCLA and I am confident that my Dad would agree with me on that.

cougs4ever
07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
As a Zag fan (also), this is painful to read!! Stop posting!

What is it with Zag fans? I think you guys aren't happy unless something is wrong.

bzzz61
07-24-2008, 02:06 PM
1) UCLA (my gut is tightening just thinking about it)
2) Zona (still a great game even with the loss)
3) Game that broke the K2 streak

BroncoZAG615
07-24-2008, 02:12 PM
3) Game that broke the K2 streak

Santa Clara two years ago...grrrrrrr :mad:

If I could change the world,
I would be the sunlight in your universe
You would think my love was really something good
Baby, if I could change the world

McZag
07-24-2008, 02:24 PM
As much as I hate UCLA, we outplayed them in 2006. We won the game in every aspect but the scoreboard. Beating them 50 times in a row would not change the outcome of that game or take its sting away.

No, for me I would like to take away the 1999 loss to UCONN.

We hung right with the National Champions in that one. If we beat UCONN we go to the Final 4 and give Ohio State a game for the ages. Then meet Duke in the ultimate David/Goliath game of all time for the National Championship.

Duke was unstoppable in 1999, UCONN proved that otherwise. Zags could have done the same and would have replaced Jimmy Chitwood and company for the greatest underdog team in basketball history.

Let's play '99 again.....

Zaghuatanejo
07-24-2008, 05:10 PM
1. UCLA
2. UCONN
3. Wyoming

skan72
07-24-2008, 05:24 PM
I knew everyone else would say it. But I HAVE to say it too, the UCLA game...just made me sick.

thebigsmoove
07-25-2008, 12:55 AM
We did not give away the UCLA game, it was stolen by Gus Johnson and the refs...i still cry sometimes when i think of the season that could have been, legitimately we could have played Florida for the National Title...instead UCLA, who we manhandled until the refs took over got to go to the title game, i still dont think we would have beat Florida, but it would have been a hell of a game.

Reborn
07-25-2008, 05:21 AM
UCONN in the Elite 8. My favorite Zag team so far. That team was the epitomy of Zag basketball, imo. The difference between that game and UCLA is that we just about knocked out the #1 team in the tournament. In the UCLA game, imo, we gave the game to the Bruins. UCONN loss did not break my heart the way UCLA loss did. In fact I'd put the Bruin loss third, and the Arizona loss second because it was such a great game. I'd put th 'Zona game as perhaps the best game GU has ever played in. That was Zag b ball as well because we wen't down fighting with all we had. The Bruin loss was perhaps the most painful loss of all time....for me.

I hope everyone is having a great summer. This has been a nice thread because a lot of good fans have shown up to speak here. Great thread, and a lot of fun to look back and remember some of the great times.