PDA

View Full Version : Lunardi bound and determined GU is 13 seed

BobZag
03-09-2007, 11:02 AM
And that suits me just fine. :)

madness
03-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Stanford losing last night (and probably missing the NCAA tourney now) forced the seeding, IMO.

GU will get a 12th at the highest.

I agree, this works best for the Zags...

madness
03-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Just checked the updated Bracketology:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Louisville is one team I DO NOT want to see in the 1st round though...give me Notre Dame, Maryland, UNLV, Oregon...actually it's all the same I guess.

siliconzag
03-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Has anybody ever been there? It is a tempting destination if both the Bluejays and the Zags are playing, hopefully in different brackets as Lunardi predicts. Has the snow melted?

Sili

229SintoZag
03-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Just checked the updated Bracketology:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Louisville is one team I DO NOT want to see in the 1st round though...give me Notre Dame, Maryland, UNLV, Oregon...actually it's all the same I guess.

This reminds me of the old Sesame Street game. "One of these things just doesn't belong here," where they would divide up the screen into four boxes and they'd have, for example, a bunch of people doing things with square shaped objects in 3 while one guy was working with a triangular shaped object in the fourth box.

Which one of these does not belong here:

Wright State
Vermont
Holy Cross
Gonzaga

If this ended up happening I guarantee you Pitino would go ballistic.

Zags4life
03-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the primary concern in the committee meetings (not that we'll ever know) re GU will not be "what seed do they deserve" but rather "can we justify pairing them against a #[X] seed in the first round." If they can't find a satisfactory answer to that question without dipping into the 5-6-7 seeds, we may see our seed assigned accordingly.
Alternatively, they could match us with a 4 seed such as Louisville and alleviate Pitino's concerns by playing the game in Lexington.

Zagriculture
03-09-2007, 12:18 PM
I remember when the Zags were ranked in the top 10 and I was hoping for a 3 or 4 seed, and we got "rooked" with a 6 seed, and had to face a very game Wyoming team at altitude in I believe, New Mexico. I knew it would be trouble, and of course it was. Now I know this Zag team is better than that 11 seeded Wyoming, and the bottom line is, whatever team gets GU from the 4, 5, or 6 slot, they will not be happy, whether the seed is worse than expected, or if it is better than expected, because I can look at several proposed 9 or 10 seeds that are not near as scary as the Zags.

Nevtelen
03-09-2007, 12:20 PM
I will not be happy if GU gets a 4 seed. We at least deserve a 12. I really don't want to play a "protected" seed and I bet none of them want to see us, either.

Lunardi gets the teams in the field correct most of the time, but his seedings are less than sure. I really doubt we end up with a 13 seed. My guess is 10-12.

CDC84
03-09-2007, 12:44 PM
For the record, I would be surprised if GU gets a 13. And if Lunardi is right, expect several national analysts to gripe about it, as well as the coach of the opposing team that's stuck playing the Zags.

SleepyPigs
03-09-2007, 12:56 PM
A 13 would be absolutely ridiculous. Look at the profile of a team like Tennessee. Same number of losses. Two "bad" losses. Only one decent win away from home. They are a projected 5 because their computer #'s are off the charts. I think it should be a 10 but am expecting an 11 for GU. The worse the seed, the easier the second round game would be!

ZagNative
03-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Looks like the folks on Inside the Ville (http://mb17.scout.com/flouisvillefrm2.showMessage?topicID=59924.topic) aren't exactly ecstatic about meting the Zags in Buffalo.

Getting stuck with Gonzaga would totally blow, even if their best players were high.

Zag79
03-09-2007, 02:27 PM
ive been calling S16 for this team all season mal, and that is what i really think. your 99' comparisons, everything is to my thinking as well. i wouldnt be surprised if this team makes a big run, and makes all the pescimists and band wagoners all giddie. :D

Zags4life
03-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Embittered SCU professor slamming GU on Louisville's boards?
Check.

http://mb17.scout.com/flouisvillefrm2.showMessage?topicID=59924.topic

sanfranzagsguy20
03-09-2007, 02:33 PM
A 13 would be absolutely ridiculous. Look at the profile of a team like Tennessee. Same number of losses. Two "bad" losses. Only one decent win away from home. They are a projected 5 because their computer #'s are off the charts. I think it should be a 10 but am expecting an 11 for GU. The worse the seed, the easier the second round game would be!

why dont we focus on winning the first game before we start talking second round? seems to me almost everyone here feels we are a lock to pull an upset in the first round...we have a GREAT shot but that doesnt mean anything...a lot of people are going to get their bubbles burst if we go down in the first round...its a very high possibility as is pulling off a win...but penciling us into the second round and sweet 16 because we beat a bunch of wcc teams on this little run doesnt seem logical i know we all have a good feeling with this bunch but i think many people are getting ahead of themselves imo

madness
03-09-2007, 03:17 PM
FoxSports bracketologist has GU playing Notre Dame in Columbus in a 6-11 matchup.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6529844

Also, notice the notes at the bottom (which we already knew):

"Ohio State cannot play in Columbus, Kentucky cannot play in Lexington, Niagara cannot play in Buffalo and Washington State cannot play in Spokane because they are the host schools for those sites. Gonzaga can be placed in Spokane because the Bulldogs play only three games at Spokane Memorial Arena, the maximum allowed before a venue is considered a home arena."

After this roller coaster of a season, how crazy would it be if the Zags somehow were placed in Spokane, facing someone in a 5-12, 6-11 because it wasn't a "protected seed"...This is why I'm backwards hoping for at least a 12, cuz I'll be there...and a 13 reflects playing a protected seed.

tobizag
03-09-2007, 03:25 PM
madness,

Thanks for that info regarding the Arena! It's good news, but I still don't think that the committee would allow that.

As for the comments by the SCU prof...what a moron. Glad he doesn't teach here, or my degree would be far less reputable.

RebornZag
03-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Great thread. First, as much as we are concerned about playing a #4 or #5 seed, imagine how much more they are concerned about playing us...And I wouldn't blame them for being mad about having to play us. Gonzaga, IMO, should be no worse then a #7 seed, and I think they are as good as any 3, 4 or 5 seed. I am not all that worried about where they put us, because I think this year it doesn't matter who you play. Where you play may just be the most important thing. Hardly anyone has won games on the road this year, and yet Gonzaga was penalized for it. That's where the mistake was. We never got to play Virginia, Georgia, Duke, WSU, Nevada, Memphis or Butler at K2. i would take GU at home against any of these teams...The high seeded teams all won at home, but so did everyone....

I think Gonzaga will have as good as chance as any team to win this tournament. Please, don't worry. We will NOT lose because of who we play....We'll lose if we don't play up to par. I believe Gonzaga can beat Louisville, and I would love to play them....They are athletic like Memphis, but they are not as good as Memphis. I've seen Louisville play 3 or 4 times. They are not good outside shooters and they really want to be. I would cherish having the opportunity to beat Rick Patino....And I also feel we have a great chance to beat Tennessee as they would have to beat us....That's a great game there. I hope we get them. I'd love Virginia Tech as well. And Boston College would be even better. Or how about those Big East Teams. I'll take GU against any of them.....ANY!!! To me that conference is very,very weaker then it's been in a very long time.

I will not be totally surprised if we do get seeded in Spokane. Why not? The year we were beat by Wyoming? Remember where we played them? It wasn't in Wyoming, but it was a school in their league I think, and a school that had that MILE HIGH AIR.......We lost because where we played them.

I don't mind us going to Buffalo!!! Weve been back East 4 times already, and beat UNC back in New York.....We are more traveled then anyone I think....I mean cross country traveling. Yes!!!! Zags are READY!!!

Doktorkev
03-09-2007, 04:06 PM

IMO I think that anywhere between 16 and 1 would be fine. One thing I have decided after watching this team over the last 10 years is that it really really really doesn't matter where you come into this tournament seeding wise. It's just something to debate in forums like this one, but ultimately IMO all these seeds do is just foster unwarranted expectations. You are either in or out of this tourney.

yeah for us.

Go Zags

BobZag
03-09-2007, 04:23 PM
if I think this team is going to win it all?

Realistically this team is somewhat similar to that elite 8 team, except younger but with more natural talent. Gonzaga's streak was in serious jeopardy, and I don't think we've seen players pull together just for that goal. We've seen players develop a sense of desperation and passion because of it. The best part about it is that the younger players are watching the upperclassmen executing with precision. Hopefully, they can capture the energy right now and extend it through their careers. We'll be a tough draw because we're much more of an unknown than any other team in the country, and having the conference tourney done so much sooner will help get more practice time together for the guys. If the cards fall right, this could be a sweet sixteen team.

Love your optimism, Mal. I think the Zags will surprise folks. It took me months to convince Zag79 that this team would be that good.

Akzag
03-09-2007, 04:35 PM
this week has been quite enjoyable with an autobid in one hand, and lowered expectations via the pundits in the other.

I don't really care any more what seed we get (sure, I might be whining on Sunday, but ...) -

It's just a little more fun flying under the radar knowing we are totally capable of biting some team where it hurts ....

Ziggy
03-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Today Joe has us as a 12 seed in.....Spokane w/ UNLV !!! Don't sell those tickets yet. Or book a flight to Buffalo. Tomorrow will tell.

kdaleb
03-10-2007, 01:36 PM
After this roller coaster of a season, how crazy would it be if the Zags somehow were placed in Spokane, facing someone in a 5-12, 6-11 because it wasn't a "protected seed"...This is why I'm backwards hoping for at least a 12, cuz I'll be there...and a 13 reflects playing a protected seed.
The top 5 seeds are protected in the first round from a hostile court. For Gonzaga to play in Spokane they would need to at least get an 11 seed. Even with that, it would be unlikely for the Zags to end up in Spokane because most 2 and 3 seed pods will probably be playing further east.

kiroczag
03-10-2007, 03:00 PM
I agree with Doktorkev; seeding-shmeeding, what are the match-ups? That's what interests me. I'll let the selection committee do their job (and what a thankless job it is) and settle in my leather sofa for the greatest sporting event in the world. Like the good doktor said, "you're either in or out of this tourney", and to that I would add: you either win or you lose and the loser goes home. No matter what your seeding is you better bring it and leave it all on the court. I like our chances this year no matter who we play.

zagco
03-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Giving us a 13 seed would be quite a message to teams that shedule tough, nonconference road games.

I thought the selection committee wanted to REWARD that kind of thing?

Personally, I prefer lower seeds for us, as I think we've always played better when we come down off our high horse.

McZag
03-11-2007, 06:38 PM
He had UCLA with a 1 seed, GU as a 13. Any other differences?