PDA

View Full Version : Dower Bit

NEZAGFAN
07-23-2008, 06:43 AM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=829609

Sam Dower drew full staffs from George Mason and Gonzaga and the 6-foot-9 big man from Minnesota's Net Gain Sports didn't disappoint. Dower scored 20 points and played well in the second half. The rising senior has the tools to be a good program post for a quality mid-level school.

sittingon50
07-23-2008, 06:52 AM
I guess the Zags are serious.;)

spudzag
07-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Come on Sam, pull the trigger, you'll be happy you did. Potential starting spot as a freshman, come on. What's not to love. Be the first big to commit and join 'Gisto!

cggonzaga
07-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Not exactly a glowing review of his abilities. Hopefully they're wrong because we don't need another project in the post.

CDC84
07-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Something tells me that there are a whole lot of high major coaches and recruiting analysts who are severely misevaluating Sam, or who are not seeing him in the proper context. Gonzaga doesn't bring in all their big guns for one kid that often. That's the kind of treatment that Jordan Farmar got when GU was recruiting him.

If he commits to GU, I get the hunch he's going to be more than "a good program post for a quality mid-level school." It may take a couple of years....the GU staff is clearly seeing something in his potential.

zag67
07-23-2008, 07:50 AM
CDC, good comment about letting the big man grow up. No matter which big man comes in, we need to give the coaches and the players time to bring them along at the right pace. For the first year, we will still have Sacre and Foster. This should give them time to learn.

thespywhozaggedme
07-23-2008, 08:26 AM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=829609

Sam Dower drew full staffs from George Mason and Gonzaga and the 6-foot-9 big man from Minnesota's Net Gain Sports didn't disappoint. Dower scored 20 points and played well in the second half. The rising senior has the tools to be a good program post for a quality mid-level school.

Okay, that's the 1st time I've ever heard a non-southerner use that term. My wife and I moved down here to Greenville, SC a year and a 1/2 ago and the 1st time we heard that term, we thought it was so, "cute".

CDC84
07-23-2008, 08:27 AM
I also get a hunch that the staff feels that Dower has a big time work ethic. That he really wants it. Not every big guy on the market has that kind of desire. He is very athletic and bouncy, and has good height for a power forward at the college level. Perhaps they see him as a 4 year version of Kuso or something.

theothegreat21
07-23-2008, 08:40 AM
I also get a hunch that the staff feels that Dower has a big time work ethic. That he really wants it. Not every big guy on the market has that kind of desire. He is very athletic and bouncy, and has good height for a power forward at the college level. Perhaps they see him as a 4 year version of Kuso or something.

You nailed it CDC.....Dower has an incredible work ethic, and really wants to be great. When you watch him play, you really see all the raw talent he has, and after watching him, I thought that he was already at the offensive skill level of Kuso. But he has the work ethic and desire that Kuso demonstrated in his 2 years. I think that the staff could do great things with Dower

Mr Vulture
07-23-2008, 09:02 AM
I think that Dower is exactly what the Zags need to bring in. To pair him with Manny would be a great start to the class and the right kind of guys to bring in. I have said the perfect class to me would be Manny, Dower, and Marshall. I know they have 4 scholarships available but those are the main 3 I would like to see. They all add something to the team and seem to have the desire/work ethic to drive themselves and the team.

I would use the 4th scholarship on a big guy is there is a quality one available but that is pretty wide open right now....I guess you could see Broghammer, Burton, or a wing type in Bak Bak or Honeycutt (I don't see us getting him).

BobZag
07-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Dower is currently Priority #1, fellas. The staff loves this kid.

cggonzaga
07-23-2008, 10:08 AM
His passion, athletic abilities and physical features sound a lot like a left handed version of Casey Calvary. I've also heard his offensive abilities are much better then some have made out here. I haven't seen him play but I just get worried when a kid gets labeled as a "mid level" prospect. Obviously the staff doesn't agree and you can't argue with their eye for talent. But there is something about him that nobody else seems to see. The way he's described definitely sounds high major though.