PDA

View Full Version : No Zag-Griz men's game this year

Zagtana
07-21-2008, 03:19 PM
According to the Univ. of Montana, the Griz and Zags will not play each other this season. On schedules I've seen previously on this Board, UM was penciled-in on the Zag schedule.

In communicating with Joel Carlson of the Montana Sports Information Dept., Joel told me, "Gonzaga is not on the 2008-2009 UM schedule." He went on to say, "While the Bulldogs are the pre-season No.9 team in the nation on a recent ESPN poll, Montana will be playing a team ranked higher than that in November." Joel said the UM schedule will be released later this week.

Darn, thought I would get to see the Zags play in my own backyard. Looks like it ain't going to happen. Not much chance of getting to see them at the K2.

The Lady Bulldogs will play the Lady Griz in Missoula on Dec. 13.

BobZag
07-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Is Morales returning for the Lady Griz? I was quite impressed by her last season.

zagco
07-21-2008, 06:02 PM
So, we're not ranked high enough for Montana? :o

We need to upgrade, boys! In time, through effort and hard work and determination, we might be able to get ourselves ranked high enough to merit a game against the Grizz. Thank God they didn't rule out any future games!!!! This gives Zagco hope. :)

ZagNative
07-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Was Montana one of those guarantee games last year, BobZag? Maybe one of those teams you referred to upping their prices this year and making scheduling more difficult? i.e., is this because we're not good enough? Or because the zags don't want to pry up that board on the floor where the secret buy-in-emergency reserve fund is stashed?

Zagtana
07-21-2008, 06:48 PM
BZ -yes, Mandy will be a senior this year. Was Big Sky MVP last year. Carries a high grade point, too. Neat Montana (Billings) gal.

krozman
07-21-2008, 07:11 PM
It's probably nothing against any of the two programs, it's just that it didn't work out schedule wise. Probably had nothing to do with love or hate, like the....um.....University of Washington games.

Zagtana
07-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Zagco - I'm quite sure it wasn't because the Zags weren't good enough. Rather, I'm guessing it had to do something behind-the-scenes in scheduling or something like that. Folks over here, including those at UM, know very well how "good" the Zags are, and what a big draw GU would be if they appeared in Missoula. It would sell out the UM arena and they need that. I believe Carlson was telling me about a different high ranked team playing UM simply to point out they weren't dodging tough teams. There was no negative reflection on GU.

MDABE80
07-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Well the Griz have Duke this year...so it's looking up in Montana. WOuld have been nice for the Griz to get Duke and GU.......not happening though. I wonder who GU's replacement is.????

Zagineer
07-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Well the Griz have Duke this year...so it's looking up in Montana. WOuld have been nice for the Griz to get Duke and GU.......not happening though. I wonder who GU's replacement is.????

An excelent post. No wonder you're an MD.

Krozman - Super post.

Zagtana - I'm going to wait a few days... weeks... or maybe forever... to respond to your last post in detail, but for now..... What's this "good" in quotes and overall UW arrogance anyway? "We couldn't fit GU into the schedule??" Sounds so much like Romar. To borrow the username of a fellow poster, Areyoukiddingme??

You're redeeming value that prevents me from really coming unglued right now is your interest and respect for the Ladies. In that, we share a common bond.

Peace, my fellow Zagfan. :)

BobZag
07-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Yes, Montana was a gaurantee game last year. They received a nice check.

MDABE80
07-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Zagineer......"excellent" with 2 "L's" when applied to us humble posters, just makes me happy ;)