PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Ronny, it is - Lakers don't match offer

Akzag
07-18-2008, 05:30 PM
via espn.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3496084)

The Los Angeles Lakers will not match the offer sheet given to Ronny Turiaf, meaning the forward will will play for the Golden State Warriors next season, ESPN.com's J.A. Adande reported Thursday.

Golden State offered Turiaf a four-year, $17 million contract offer, which would have boosted Los Angeles' payroll past the luxury tax.

zagsfanforlife
07-18-2008, 05:41 PM
This is really sad news for me. Ronny has been my favorite player and an inspiration to me as well, being a survivor of open heart surgery myself. I live in LA so i would be able to watch all the games on tv and even attend a few. HE was by far the second most popular laker in Los Angeles behind Kobe. I can imagine the fans are going to be pissed off about this one.

Zag87
07-18-2008, 06:04 PM
I grew up as a die hard Laker fan. I remember the '72 Lakers as the team that got me started as a fan. A fan of the Lakers and sports in general. My Laker support ended in '84 when Stockton went to the Jazz.............It made sense for me to support the team that a "friend" was a part of. Of course I was a Jazz fan - I drank cold malt beverages out of my Jazz mug at J & D's. For 19 years, I was all Jazz. It was really hard to get back on the Laker band wagon. The Jazz and Lakers were such rivals. However, when Ronny became a Laker, that's all I needed to get back on that wagon. I love Ronny, he is a true leader. Laker fans will miss him, period. He is true inspiration, and a roll-model.

I will always support Ronny as an individual player and wish him the best sucesses. But now he got me back as a Laker fan. I have to root for my Lakers again. So Ronny, best of luck to you (I wish the same for other Zags in the NBA....Adam / Dan / Richie). But I gotta say that I'm lookin forward to another Championship banner in Staples Center. Wish Ronny was going to be part of it.

pdine
07-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Yep, I'm another Laker fan that will miss him. He's a class act.

:confused: Shocked that I can say this as a Waves fan considering how much I hated and taunted him when he was a Zag.

Just A Zag
07-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Go turiaf. go warriors. this works out pretty good for me being a fan of both the zags and gstate :D

zagporvida
07-18-2008, 08:48 PM
I may just have to root for the Warriors now as my favorite team since I am left in a state with no professional basketball. Used to be a Lakers fan back in the Showtime era but never really could root for them with Shaq and Kobe, only Ronny could make me watch the Lakers, although it sucked about his playtime. Go Ronny, you are my favorite Zag either way.

MDABE80
07-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Ronny must be very sad to be leaving his friends and fans. He made a lot of both in his 2 years there. His career's still beginning. I think he'll do fine in the bay area. Hope we can still see him on Dish once in a while.

Gonzdb8
07-18-2008, 09:45 PM
This is really sad news for me. Ronny has been my favorite player and an inspiration to me as well, being a survivor of open heart surgery myself. I live in LA so i would be able to watch all the games on tv and even attend a few. HE was by far the second most popular laker in Los Angeles behind Kobe. I can imagine the fans are going to be pissed off about this one.

if lakers fans should be pissed at anyone its the Ws for making him an offer that the lakers couldn't match. i'm a huge ronny fan and i'm very happy to see him getting recognition for what what he brings to any team he's on (things that don't always show up in a stat sheet), but this is the high end of the offer i expected him to receive. good for him but i don't think lakers fans can hate on the franchise for not matching. i really think the lakers would have loved to keep the band together for another year.

zagsfanforlife
07-18-2008, 10:01 PM
I would agree with you, but then there is Sasha. You know the lakers will end up giving sasha more money per year then gs gave Ronny. And sasha is one of the most overrated players in the nba. No defense, can not hit a jumper with a man in his face, and self proclaims himself the machine. He is a cancer in the locker room, and still will receive more money from the lakers than Ronny got from GS. I would much rather have Ronny.

ZagNut08
07-18-2008, 10:58 PM
I would agree with you, but then there is Sasha. You know the lakers will end up giving sasha more money per year then gs gave Ronny. And sasha is one of the most overrated players in the nba. No defense, can not hit a jumper with a man in his face, and self proclaims himself the machine. He is a cancer in the locker room, and still will receive more money from the lakers than Ronny got from GS. I would much rather have Ronny.

I will miss Ronny in a Lakers uniform, I grew up on the Lakers, and until the Zags, they were the only team I would follow consistently.

I think you are off about Sasha, he is a crucial part to the Lakers team, and played a big role in a lot of their wins. He did not give himself that nickname, and how again is he a locker room cancer? Everything I have read and seen is the opposite, and even kobe praised him for being a gym rat. His defense may not be fundamentally great, but he hustles out their more than most in the nba. Oh yea, top 10 in 3 point shooting isn't too bad either in my book

zagfan24
07-19-2008, 05:28 AM
As a Lakers fan, it makes me sad to see him go. As a Ronny fan, this sounds like a great opportunity and I'm really glad he's making some big $ now.

It sounds as if it really came down to PT more than money, and the Lakers knew they couldn't afford to pay him 17 million over four years to ride the pine. He was an important part of their team, but with Bynum back there just wasn't enough time for somebody as talented as he is. I hope he gets some major minutes in GS.

And FWIW, I haven't ever heard a bad thing about Sasha in the locker room -- and his defense is actually much better than the Euro stereotypes would suggest. He's tenacious, annoying, and at times can be absolutely lights out from deep, something every team needs.

Zag 77
07-19-2008, 11:25 AM
It was weird rooting for those ugly gold and purple uniforms. Plus, forcing myself to think nice thoughts about nasty people like Kobe Bryant.

The stars have returned to their proper alignment again.

SLOZag
07-19-2008, 12:08 PM
LA was great for (and to) Ronny, and Ronny was great for LA.

But basketball is not a hobby -- its Ronny's profession. $17M and 4 years guaranteed is extraordinary, and enjoying the opportunity to play more minutes and (perhaps) to do more things (like start, and shoot more) can't be overlooked.

Sure, Ronny will be leaving good friends, but they'll continue to be his friends (if at a distance), and we all know that he'll be making more good friends wherever he goes.

Ronny, enjoy it all -- you've earned it!!! :cheers:

ZagNative
07-19-2008, 12:10 PM
I loved Ronny in purple and gold! It's going to take some getting used to, seeing him in such understated garb ... wonder what kind of style and flash he'll be adding to keep from being such a plain jane ... A big old grin would help some ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Turiaf/Rony%20in%20NBA/2008-07-19Ronnyfirstpicasawarrior.jpg

From the front page of the Warrior site, here (http://www.nba.com/warriors/index_main.html).

Akzag
07-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Some pretty nice quotes from Kupchak on espn.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3496084)

"There are emotional ties with Ronny that go beyond basketball," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said on a conference call. "I think that makes it difficult. I think organizations that draft players who turn out to be good players, it's hard for them to let go of those players. And if you know Ronny, you know he's a special kid."

[ ... from a special place :P ]

"We will miss Ronny, we will miss his contributions on and off the court, the emotion and the energy he brought, whether he's playing or not," Kupchak said.

Kupchak said he met with Turiaf for about an hour Thursday.

"It was a very emotional meeting because he loves the city, he loves the organization, there are certain bonds here," Kupchak said.

ZagSlug
07-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Warriors fans have been coming to games in numbers for years even when the team was struggling to stay out of the cellar. They are going to love him up here. He is a great fit for Nelson's system and he is going to feed off the crowd, it is not the KC but that arena can really rock.

Now I can go back back to ignoring the Lakers and Kobe once again and see just about every game.

zagsfanforlife
07-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Sasha has gotten in fights with Jackson, Farmar, and Kobe over the past year. I have witnessed all the games, and Sasha is very one dimensional. Once he puts the ball on the deck, all hell breaks out. Kobe dishing it out to him for an open three sure he can hit it. Him trying to hit a three with someone in his face, once again, it is not pretty. I have been watching every single laker game for the past 10 years and every game sasha has played in. I know what im talking about. Its my opinion but I think he is vastly overrated. People thought he could play intense defense but then when he asked Jackson to guard Paul Pierce in the finals or even Ray Allen for that matter, he got eaten alive. IMO id rather have Turiaf. And many many laker fans feel the exact same way about Sasha.

Dickau43
07-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Finally! I hate the Lakers and I haven't been able to root for Turiaf since he came into the league. Now I can finally be a fan of his again.

DrDrivel
07-21-2008, 03:27 AM
Are the Lakers deep at PF and C? Not terribly. And no one's knocking Ronny - clearly we all love and support him, singing his praises for energy, hustle, and all sorts of vaguely success-related virtues. But the Lakers were financially incapable of offering that kind of money to someone who would literally foul out of every game he played if given 44 minutes/game (according to last year's personal foul rate). It's silly. They simply weren't in a position to tie up that kind of money for four years. They've got to think about re-signing Kobe and Bynum in the next couple years.

As a lifelong Lakers fan, it saddens me to see him go, but the NBA is a business. And in the NBA, you don't survive very long tying up all your resources in backups who spend a good chunk of every game with their hands up taking credit for a personal foul.

LongIslandZagFan
07-21-2008, 05:31 AM
Are the Lakers deep at PF and C?

Actually with Bynum, Gasol, and Odom... yes they are and he'd be lucky to get 16 or so minutes when they are all healthy. Not saying I don't think he deserves the minutes, just that I don't think he'd get them.

He will get solid minutes at GState and I am for one happy that I can go back to hating the Lakers. Although, they did the right thing by him and went way beyond what they had to do (which was nothing at all) so I don't know that my hatred will ever get back to what it was. Kupchak and the Lakers really went above and beyond for Ronny and I am sure it was very very difficult to let him go.

DrDrivel
07-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't consider that depth at all. That's a very top-heavy front-line. Who's backing them up? DJ MBenga? Chris Mihm? Exactly my point. They're not deep at all. And Lamar has had the most success lately playing the 3 from the wing and moving to the hoop as opposed to a traditional post-up game, so he's not really a full-time PF at all.

LongIslandZagFan
07-21-2008, 12:41 PM
It is way more depth than anyone on the Warriors. Plus you can add in Walton, Rodmanovic (sp?), Ariza as well. He is basically is a sea of players that are hovering around the F/C positions. Not saying he is worse than these players, but just that he is competing for time with them. If you look at the Warriors he is competing with very few players.

DrDrivel
07-21-2008, 02:59 PM
You're right about that. And a frontline of Biedrins and Turiaf is surprisingly defensively sound on a team that rarely gave up fewer than 100 points/game.

ZagNut08
07-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Dr D, I think the Lakers have the depth. Who knows if Mihm can bounce back from surgery. Also, it is not like Gasol, Bynum, and LO will all the on the court for the same periods all game. Odom can shift to 4, gasol or bynum can play at 5. Vlad can come in at the 4 if need be. I think they see MBenga as a servicable backup at a much cheaper price.

I agree about not being able to invest the money. Bynum can start asking for an extension, and his agent says he wants MAX. Lakers would be foolish to give it to him before seeing how he bounces back from knee injury. Also, what to do with Odom. Do you try to give him an extension that is moderate in price, or try to trade away his expiring contract?

MedZag
07-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Kobe Bryant is upset the Lakers let Ronny walk:

But as a teammate and basketball player, he thought the decision stunk.

“I’m sad about it. I wish we could have kept him,” Bryant said. “I love him as a person. I love him as a basketball player and I hate to see him leave. I just wish him all the best."

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2008/07/22/bryant-sees-upside-and-down-to-off-season-moves/

gamagin
07-22-2008, 11:40 AM
talents, imo. And the Lakers are looking to plug in 1-2 seasoned players to help them win it all.

ronny, otoh, is not yet ready for that much prime time but could be with more seasoning.

He gets to keep growing, the Warriors get a class act and player. So I think it's win-win.

Name me someone else you know who started out making $700k and got bumped up to $3 plus million per year after two years. There's plenty more where that came from with maturity.

Couldn't happen to a better man.

RenoZag
07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
I could root for Ronny and applaud the Lakers' organization for what they did for him in re: his surgery, rehab, and sticking with him. . .but I did not and will not ever pull for an LA team. . .and that included my beloved Raiders and that Judas goat Al Davis.

Glad Mr. T will be a Warrior. Hope he finds the atmosphere and diversity of the Bay Area exciting.

DrDrivel
07-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Mihm hasn't proven himself competent to play in the NBA. Ever. MBenga has the chance to be pretty decent, but will never be a scoring option and certainly not someone to rely on in the clutch. And as for Radmanovic, I promise you the Lakers are trying to trade him at all costs, and barring that, counting down the days until his contract comes off the books.

As for Lamar, in this offense with Gasol, he's dynamite. His numbers through the latter half of the year last year were top-20 in the league (I know both as a Lakers fan and a Lamar owner in fantasy). But remove one piece from the puzzle and he's no longer worth much at all. I saw him over in Seattle in February against the Sonics and the man is legitimately slow. He lumbers up and down the court and someone as young as he is, with as much purported athleticism as he has should never appear slow like he does. It's ridiculous. I honestly question whether he has many years left.