PDA

View Full Version : Poling struggles vs. Love

23dpg
03-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Here's a recap of the game.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/oregonianpreps/2007/03/lesson_learned_dont_call_love.html

Love outscored the entire Westview team (ranked #5 or #6 in state) 41 to 33.

relating to Poling:

They came out and hoped they'd play us," Love said. "Andy Poling really called me out and he had six points and two rebounds. He can say whatever he wants. They just lost. And that's the most trash I'm ever going to talk. But, be careful what you wish for. You don't call us out and expect some big numbers to be put up."

Poling, a 6-11 center who has committed to Gonzaga, excited the large contingent of Westview students when he opened the second half with a turnaround jumper to cut the Wildcats' deficit to 27-19.

But Poling then picked up five fouls in a span of 4:55 to foul out. In that same time, Love scored 16 points during an 18-0 run that gave Lake Oswego (25-1) a 45-19 lead.

CDC84
03-09-2007, 09:16 AM
I saw Love and Poling match up previously, and it was the same type of deal: total domination. Hardly a surprise. Kevin Love has been ready for D-1 since his freaking sophomore year. Poling has been battling health problems that have kept him chronically skinny and have caused him to struggle to develop as a prospect:

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=117010988653712000

It sounds like Andy is getting better....

I am bit surprised to hear about the trash talking from Andy.....just doesn't seem like him, and definitely not a wise move if what Love is saying is true. The last thing you want to do is fire up a great player.

23dpg
03-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Kevin Love has been ready for D-1 since his freaking sophomore year.

You misspelled freshman!

I think Love made more of it than it really was. Andy was just trying to get his team (and him) psyched up. His comments were pretty benign.

wazZag
03-09-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm not surprised to hear Love coming off like a selfish baby. That might pass muster at UCLA, but when the L comes knocking in a couple more years he might have to learn a little humility.

wazZag
03-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Any links to the "trash talking"?

jake
03-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Poling has obviously struggled with the health issues this year, but total domination by Love wouldn't have been a surprise with a healthy Poling. Even healthy, Poling is a long way from being a contributor at the Division 1 level. Love is going on his third or fourth year of being Division 1 ready. I'm not trying to knock Poling in any way, as he is a good recruit, but he is far from a homerun commitment or a guaranteed Division 1 impact player in the future.

OregonZag5
03-09-2007, 11:09 AM
It was terrible and am hoping this was a one time thing- Frankly, I did not think Poling looked like a D-2 player. I am not a coach etc but am not sure what they saw in him at all- Hope there is potenial that in untapped.

deathchina
03-09-2007, 11:24 AM
"“We have the best chance to beat them now than at any time,” says Andy Poling, Westview’s 6-11 junior. “Everything is coming together at the right time. We’re going to win a state championship. We might as well beat them now.”"

and also..

"“I can’t wait,” says Poling, who has verbally committed to Gonzaga. “He’s gotten the best of me both times we’ve played. I’m ready to play really well against him.”"

I don't get how Kevin Love is "selfish" for having extra incentive to beat a team after those comments.

CDC84
03-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Even healthy, Poling is a long way from being a contributor at the Division 1 level.

I would, in part, disagree with this. I wouldn't disagree with Love dominating him no matter what (Love is a special talent), but Poling's issues are 100% strength related. He might be the skinniest top 100 prospect I've ever seen. There is no doubt in my mind that the mystery illness has greatly contributed to his lack of physical development. Nonetheless, he has nice post skills and good footwork. Nice hook shot as well. There is a reason why analysts had him in their 2008 top 10 for awhile.

If he were healthy all the way along, I would feel more comfortable with his ability to contribute at Gonzaga immediately. But this illness has probably set him back a year or two. The game of basketball in the low blocks is a real rough business these days if you lack bulk. Until Andy gets that bulk, it will be hard for him to compete against high level bigs.

sittingon50
03-09-2007, 12:11 PM
And I'm not sure how any of what is stated could be considered trash talk!

wazZag
03-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Shame on Andy! Using such nasty language saying that he is ready to play well against K-Love...

Love has alot of growing up to do...

former1dog
03-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Honestly, I don't have a problem with what anyone in this situation did or said. Andy was getting fired up for the game, which fired up Love. No prob.

Love had the last laugh. He took Andy's words as a challenge (I would have, too) and let everyone know how he responds to a challenge on the court. He didn't trash talk afterwards, just let everyone know where a little extra motivation came from.

Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

sdzag
03-09-2007, 01:28 PM
The only concern I have with Andy is his transportation to Burger King!!!!That kids looks like a starving child from one of those comercials. Need to get some meat on them bones. The rest will come along. Love is a special talent. Yet, I remember freaking out when I read we signed Andy on Zagshoops. Still pumped for this future Zag!

bayzag09
03-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Still pumped for this future Zag!

...me not so much anymore :(

wazZag
03-09-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm excited for Andy to come to GU, if only because he breaks the mold of our recent recruits. He's going to take time to put on weight, but the skills and height are already there, a major plus. I envision a focused, skilled, four-year player who is a great representative of the program. He's not going to dominate out of the gate, but his (potential) four year contribution will dwarf what a juco or one and done guy could contribute.

tobizag
03-09-2007, 02:09 PM
bayzag,

I would encourage you to not let the recent domination of Poling by Sacre and Love dash your hopes. Robert and Kevin are large guys...and has been stated before, K Love probably could have been playing D-1 basketball at a solid level when he was 15. Sacre is not as highly regarded as Love, but is still a 250 pound monster on the low blocks.

Andy will come along, and I think wazZag put it well when he said that Andy will be a "focused, skilled, four-year player who is a great representative of the program....his potential four year contribution will dwarf what a juco or one and done guy could contribute."

Stay positive!

23dpg
03-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Poling gets 13 in today's game.

jake
03-09-2007, 04:25 PM
I would, in part, disagree with this. I wouldn't disagree with Love dominating him no matter what (Love is a special talent), but Poling's issues are 100% strength related. He might be the skinniest top 100 prospect I've ever seen. There is no doubt in my mind that the mystery illness has greatly contributed to his lack of physical development. Nonetheless, he has nice post skills and good footwork. Nice hook shot as well. There is a reason why analysts had him in their 2008 top 10 for awhile.

I pretty much agree with what you're saying. Poling has superior footwork and post moves than most high school big guys. His problem, as you state, is strength. Especially with the illness this year, he has been less effective, and in the game I watched, was pushed around badly by a post player that was moderately strong at best. The reason I say he's a long way from being a contributor at the D-1 level is that he has to add a lot of strength. With a guy like Bouldin it was obvious from day 1 that he would be successful at Gonzaga. With Poling, I think the jury will still be out when he shows up at GU. If he can add strength he has the skills to be a good player. If he can't add strength, he's not going to be a major contributor.

In fairness to Andy, when I saw him play last year he looked better than the game I watched this year. I have to think that is tied to his illness and weight issues. Had those not arisen, who knows where he would be. I hope his health comes around and he can start moving forward again.

ZagNut08
03-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Nothing wrong imo from what he said...dont know what else he would say in that situation

I hope his health concerns get under control. He sounds like he has a lot of upside...even if he can't he is playing the wcc, and wont face rigors of strong inside oponents.

lothar98zag
03-09-2007, 04:48 PM
If weight and strength are still a major issue when he gets to GU, he could always redshirt his 1st year...

GU hasn't pulled their scholarship offer, so I think the coaches still think he's good enough - and that's good enough for me.

billyberu
03-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Egads!!! He actually said that? Well...the nerve!

BobZag
03-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Bottom line, imo: Andy and family had better hope the doctors discover what this mysterious illness is, so it can be remedied. Because if it remains, his entire career could be stunted. I've known enough people who have had mystery ailments and doctors never could pinpoint what the cause was.

Ghost
03-09-2007, 05:47 PM
I still have faith that Andy will turn it around, getting dominated by Love is no big deal to me, he dominates everyone.

JAGzag
03-09-2007, 06:10 PM
I hate to sound like a cynic, but what is the difference between will foster and andy poling?

jake
03-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Poling has much better offensive skills than Foster does, although he is not a dominant shot blocker.

lothar98zag
03-09-2007, 08:50 PM
I hate to sound like a cynic, but what is the difference between will foster and andy poling?
(this is an oversimplification, but not by much)

Right now Poling is a basketball player that happens to be tall and skinny.

At Andy's age, Foster was a tall and skinny guy that happened to be a basketball player.

Zag509
03-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Andy aint 7'5''

EL MUSTACIO
03-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Just last summer, poling was a five star recruit, ranked on scout as a TOP TEN prospect. Top TEN! Now were wondering if hes good enough to come to GU. Yes, he has a weight problem but things will work out. He'll eventually put on some weight and he'll be one of the best prospects that GU has EVER had.

.......maybe

Rangerzag
03-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Kevin Love has been ready for D-1 since his freaking sophomore year.

You misspelled freshman!

OK, so the gals are still playing at BOA so I go surfin' and come across the Lake Oswego/South Medford game from Eugene. It is at half on FCS Central (414 on Comcast Digital in WestWa) and Here is that Kevin Love guy. My first and quick impression is that he is ready to take on "Big Country" as he is. Yes, slight exaggeration, but still, not that far from the truth.