PDA

View Full Version : Just how good is Manny Arop

theothegreat21
07-17-2008, 09:00 PM
When Manny verballed to GU, no one here really knew much about him....but with his play in these FIBA America's, I'm thinking we could have an absolute gem. Going up against Team USA, which is full of the top incoming DI freshman and a couple 5 star recruits for 09, and Manny puts in 21 and 9.

So I guess my question is, if Manny were an American and had proper coverage of his career so far, would he be a top 50 or even top 25 player in the class of 09?

ZagAddict
07-17-2008, 09:17 PM
I really have to hand it to Few & Co. for finding Manny and getting a verbal... I can't wait for the LOI signing date for '09 recruits. After seeing more and more recruits spurn the Zags for BCS programs; it's comforting to know we have a verbal from a recruit like Manny :D

Few & Co. never cease to amaze me... keep up the hard work.

CaliforniaZaggin'
07-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Excellent news. Personally, and I think all of you would agree, all that matters is getting quality players who are respectable, upstanding, hardworking young men. From what I've heard, Manny appears to possess all those qualities! Touche, Coach!

MickMick
07-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Shhhh...we still have a Bak Bak to go.

doesntmatter
07-17-2008, 10:10 PM
ive been looking at this forum pretty often lately with regards to mangisto... theres been alot of talk since his signing and the germany tournament and the current u18 FIBA in argentina. I am pleased to see how much quickly you guys welcomed gisto as a new future zag I honeslty excpected you guys would question his game as it is alot easier to dominate canadian high school ball then down south, and i have only a rough estimate on how good one would have to be to be an impact player at the division one level... but i think you guys got a hell of a steal and the thing that sets him apart from anyone ive ever played ball is his mental game.... this kid does not feel pressure, he has ice running through his veins he will not budge an inch for anyone i think the performance against the US team shows that. but i dont want to hype him up to much he doesnt need me to impress you guys hes got that covered... after playing ball with him for a couple years it was good times having him on the court with me........ you guys should be excited for the future and if bol kong can get his visa thing sorted out darn..... i cant wait to head out to spokane to catch a game, these guys are gonna make canada proud.

Nevtelen
07-17-2008, 11:07 PM
It's tough to say exactly on the strength of a few games in a few days, but Arop is clearly pretty freakin' good. He seems to not only be able to score as his ppg in the tourney shows, but his rebounding seems to be stellar for his position, even against solid compeition. Rankings of prep players can be as political (what schools are looking) as they can be based on real observation, but at least based on what he's done with Team Canada, I'd say Manny would be around the Top 50 stateside.

hondo46
07-18-2008, 08:13 AM
If you do get to Spokane be sure to let this board know in advance as we will be happy to meet you for pizza.

ZagNative
07-18-2008, 09:14 AM
doesntmatter, welcome! And I hope you'll come back often and help keep us up-to-date on what "Gisto" ( I like it!) and his NEDA teammates are up to, especially as the season starts in the fall. We had a lot of fun here following the HS games of our '08 kids this past season.

Also, if you have any photos to share, hope you will post them here.

BobZag
07-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Amen, Hondo. Pizza and calzones to all friends of Gisto from the north.

The thing that impressed me the most is how he got 9 rebounds against a frontline of elite 5-star Dukies, Heels, Bruins, etc. There are bonafide stud bigs on Team USA and Gisto still grabs 9 boards. He is 6'6" max!

An interesting feature of Fiba's live gametracker is the "Shot Chart" and then click on Gisto's name. It'll show you where he took his shots from. Against every team thus far, he is inside and mid-range, mixing it up with the trees.

As to how good he is... He's obviously darn good, I'd guess top-75, but I've heard Kong is better. Together they'd be quite a tandem.

Kinda makes you wish that visa thing gets resolved, huh?

theothegreat21
07-18-2008, 09:52 AM
ive been looking at this forum pretty often lately with regards to mangisto... theres been alot of talk since his signing and the germany tournament and the current u18 FIBA in argentina. I am pleased to see how much quickly you guys welcomed gisto as a new future zag I honeslty excpected you guys would question his game as it is alot easier to dominate canadian high school ball then down south, and i have only a rough estimate on how good one would have to be to be an impact player at the division one level... but i think you guys got a hell of a steal and the thing that sets him apart from anyone ive ever played ball is his mental game.... this kid does not feel pressure, he has ice running through his veins he will not budge an inch for anyone i think the performance against the US team shows that. but i dont want to hype him up to much he doesnt need me to impress you guys hes got that covered... after playing ball with him for a couple years it was good times having him on the court with me........ you guys should be excited for the future and if bol kong can get his visa thing sorted out darn..... i cant wait to head out to spokane to catch a game, these guys are gonna make canada proud.

Welcome to the boards....I was wondering if you could give us fans a breakdown of how Manny plays....and what it is that he needs to improve on before coming to GU? Im trying to get a read on him as a basketball player

ZagManFan
07-18-2008, 10:41 AM

MAN. One post and he's in the "Rep Hall of Fame".

Thanks for the post and welcome.

cbbfanatic
07-18-2008, 02:29 PM
outside of doesntmatter, who has seen this kid play in person?

CDC84
07-18-2008, 03:52 PM
The only conclusion I have reached with this kid is that when you consider how little was known about him by people on this board at the time he verbaled to Gonzaga, combined with what he's been doing at FIBA, it sure seems to me that Few and Co. pulled a high major talent out of the hat. He's clearly a steal. Nobody on this board needs to watch him play a minute to conclude that. Especially when you consider how many of these diamond in the rough guys the staff has come up with over the years.

Now if people want to say that Arop is a future First Team All American or whatever, well, that remains to be seen.......

thespywhozaggedme
07-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Future NBAer, but these Dayes what Zag isn't? :D

ZagNative
07-19-2008, 03:25 AM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Stats/2008-07-18MannyFIBAAmericasLeaders.jpg

Zagdawg
07-19-2008, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the footwork ZN-- (I was wondering how he matched up overall in this tourney)

Now those are some nice averages against some solid competition.

Reborn
07-19-2008, 06:10 AM
Thanks ZN. As usual great research. Arop's stats are incredible for his size. Love the FT % and rebounding. This is the kind of athletic guy I've wanted to see in a Zag uniform for a long time. Being able to go inside and mix it up with the Big Boys is what I've felt we've needed at GU.

Arop also seems like a class act, and I enjoyed the "ice in veins" picture from doesn't matter. DM thanks for your post. Appreciate your help, and good vibes for Mangisto.

Arop, I see, has it all. He's what we might call, "The Real Deal." Toughness, fearless, athletic, intelligent, scorer mentality, but team player. I am not sure about fast and quick, but my guess is that he is. To get the boards he gets at 6'6" he's a quick leaper, and timing and intellilgence are the keys. He's able to read the ball and know where it's going. I'd say he has a lot of Pride, and takes pleasure in going inside and humiliating the Bigs. That is a thrill like no other. I think he takes pride in his 6'6" frame, and wants to attack. Some folks have a desire for fearlessness, and always welcome the challenge to attack a Big.

thespywhozaggedme
07-19-2008, 08:26 AM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Stats/2008-07-18MannyFIBAAmericasLeaders.jpg

Thanks for providing these stats. Looking at that made me wonder why more colleges don't recruit South and Central America more. That Greg Echenique(sp) kid from Venezuela could be a stud. As the early advocate of recruiting up North (and we see how well that's paying off) Few & Co. should take a long hard look at some of these kids.

Zagdawg
07-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Greg Echenique-- committed to Rutgers -- will be a frosh this year-- 6'8" 240 lbs-- a load on the inside

ZagNative
07-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Greg Echenique's Profile in Scout (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2383054). A year older than Arop, too. Still no profile for Arop on Scout? :confused:

BobZag
07-19-2008, 10:35 AM
From all the trusted people I've spoken with, I firmly believe Mangisto is a top-75 recruit.

thespywhozaggedme
07-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Greg Echenique-- committed to Rutgers -- will be a frosh this year-- 6'8" 240 lbs-- a load on the inside

My bad. I knew the name sounded familiar. How 'bout the Mexican kid with the french last name. What's his deal?

SLOZag
07-19-2008, 11:45 AM

A 4 star recruit (Rivals - http://maryland.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?sport=2&pr_key=55300, and Scout - http://hsnewyork.scout.com/a.z?s=403&p=8&c=1&nid=2383054,) he turned down offers from Duke, Memphis, Maryland and Florida, among others, to stay in New Jersey, where he was attending high school.

ZagNative
07-19-2008, 11:50 AM
I wonder how much of a challenge it is to recruit in countries where English is not the first language, in addition to the academic requirements - curriculum, SAT, ACT, etc., and how that all works out, in addition to any Visa issues. Seems like it would add an extra layer of complexity to recruiting.

SLOZag
07-19-2008, 12:32 PM
I wonder how much of a challenge it is to recruit in countries where English is not the first language, in addition to the academic requirements - curriculum, SAT, ACT, etc., and how that all works out, in addition to any Visa issues. Seems like it would add an extra layer of complexity to recruiting.

Speaking specifically about the recruitment of Echenique, it wasn't too tough for Rutgers to do, as Echenique goes to high school at St. Benedict Prep in Newark, New Jersey, just down the road a piece from Rutgers. A tougher question is how a prep school like St. Benedict Prep goes about recruiting someone like Echenique. And for that matter, consider the other four guys Echenique played with this year at St. Benedict Prep:

Samardo Samuels -- Scout 5 star, and #1 PF in the class of 2008
-- committed to Louisville
Dwan McMillan -- Scout 2 star -- committed to South Florida
Scott Machado -- Scout 2 star -- committed to Iona
Zach Rosen -- Scout 2 star -- committed to Pennsylvania

Per http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=2&nid=11292&yr=2007

I would dearly love to believe that this gathering of such talented young men is just serendipity, and has nothing to do with turning a Catholic prep school into a basketball factory. For that matter, I'd also like to believe that peace in the Middle East is just around the corner.

Nigerian_baller
07-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Welcome to the boards....I was wondering if you could give us fans a breakdown of how Manny plays....and what it is that he needs to improve on before coming to GU? Im trying to get a read on him as a basketball player

I played against him last febuary here is a little breakdown

Strenghts:

- Athleticism ( Won the slam dunk contest @ the touney i played against him)
- Rebounding
- Basketball IQ
- He is long could play the SF

Weaknesses:

- Ballhandling
- Three point range ?( I haven't seen him shoot once from the peremiter @ the tourney)

One thing is sure he is one of the better prospect in the class of 2009

JAGzag
07-19-2008, 03:41 PM

Strenghts:

- Rebounding
- Basketball IQ

Weaknesses:

- Ballhandling
- Three point range ?( I haven't seen him shoot once from the peremiter @ the tourney)

Nigerian_baller, great first post, welcome! This kid was really a surprise to many of us but we're delighted to hear how good he is. I look forward to seeing him in a Zag uniform!

ZagNative
07-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Welcome, Nigerian_Baller! Was that slam dunk this one,

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/Mangisto%20Arop/MangistoAropDunk.jpg

described in this story (http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-15951--search.htm) from 2006?

Also seen here on the left (Bol Kong is on the right),

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/Bol%20Kong/westerncanadatournamentxz8.jpg

described in this story (http://www.drivebasketball.com/western_canada_tournament_2006.htm).

Baldwinzag
05-05-2009, 10:05 AM

Its been said before, but I'll say it again, Manny is going to be special. When reviewing the past stats from FIBA '08, its amazing how well Arop performed vs top competition across the Globe. For example, Manny outplayed his own teammate, Marc Trassolini, who was a solid contributor this season for Santa Clara and scored double-digits against the Zags in WCC Tourney. In addition to being the go-to guy for Team Canada, Manny played better than nearly every US player he faced. Manny scored more points and outplayed Kemba Walker, who happens to be the starting PG for UConn and a major player in the NCAA tourney last year. Also, he outrebounded and was the better overall player compared to Jaymichal Green, who started at PF for Alabama Crimson Tide and averaged 11 ppg as a Freshman in the SEC. Lastly, he schooled Ryan Kelly who was the highest rated recruit for Duke last season and 5* prospect according to Rivals. The list of examples goes on...

Manny has been the premier player for every team he's participated on and coaches from NEDA and FIBA all seem to mention he has the most natural "talent" of any player they have coached. There is a reason he receives the most minutes of any player on the team. Even Bol Kong, per his facebook post to Manny, said "I wish I had all the skills you do."

He's going to be a fun player to watch, along with the rest of our outstanding '09 Class.

CDC84
05-05-2009, 10:28 AM
It's going to be a lot of fun watching the Sudanese duo running up and down the floor in Gonzaga uniforms....

BobZag
05-05-2009, 10:31 AM
We'll like this kid a bunch.

pbriz
05-05-2009, 11:11 AM

Strenghts:

- Rebounding
- Basketball IQ

Weaknesses:

- Ballhandling

Not to go overboard, but Manny seems A LOT like John Wall, the #1 rated prospect in the class of 2009.

GoZAGsMang
05-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Manny is "the Mang"

GoZAGsMang!

ZagNative
05-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Report last summer on guboards here (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=236966) from an interview with USA U-18 coach Bob McKillop on USA Basketball (http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=08_mu18_game_04_quotes):
hat does it say about the will to win that this team has to go on that 12-0 run in the fourth quarter after Canada cut the lead to single digits?
I believe they only cut it to an eight point deficit and we answered right away. The offensive glass of Ryan Kelly, JaMychal (Green) and Travis (Wear) down the stretch was very important to us. Canada had a great performance by Mangisto Arop. He was tremendous today. It was very difficult to defend him, but I think we had enough guys that defended him and made it difficult for him down the stretch.Also this in that story:
David Wear (Mater Dei H.S. / Santa Ana, Calif.)
On today's game:
I think we lost focus there for a little while. I don't think we necessarily came out and played our hardest. There were times when we took plays off. But overall I felt that we did a pretty good job of sticking to the game plan. (Mangisto) Arop got hot there for awhile, he was killing us for awhile. But then we picked up the 'D' and started getting more stops.

Do you think you might have overlooked Canada after dominating them in a scrimmage earlier this week?
Yes, I think so. We all kind of knew that we were probably going to get this victory and we came out here and coasted and thought more about tomorrow night's game. Obviously that was wrong, but we pulled out the win.

FuManShoes
05-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Not to go overboard, but Manny seems A LOT like John Wall, the #1 rated prospect in the class of 2009.

Let's hope he's not just like Wall
http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=4135650