PDA

View Full Version : OT- Jennings signs for European team

theothegreat21
07-16-2008, 10:32 AM
http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33910/180

It appears that he will be playing for a club in the top league of Italy

ZagNative
07-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Wow. My favorite city in the world .... I can't even imagine what it would be like to have had my first job be to play in Rome, 18 years old, with a pocketful of cash ... It's sure going to be interesting to see how this plays out ...

ZagManFan
07-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Is there any word on the salary he will get?

theothegreat21
07-16-2008, 12:24 PM
I totally agree ZN...what an opportunity to live in Rome for a year. However, I hope he understands the true adjustment he will be making.....a lot of times DVD's will be his best friend while he is abroad. No more ESPN and other basic things that he probably takes for granted.

Although I am a little jealous that he gets to support my favorite soccer club AS Roma and attend games at the Stadio Olimpico

MedZag
07-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I totally agree ZN...what an opportunity to live in Rome for a year. However, I hope he understands the true adjustment he will be making.....a lot of times DVD's will be his best friend while he is abroad. No more ESPN and other basic things that he probably takes for granted.

Although I am a little jealous that he gets to support my favorite soccer club AS Roma and attend games at the Stadio Olimpico

I can vouch though that italian TV, even though it has no ESPN, is awesome.

ZagNut08
07-17-2008, 02:15 AM
with slingbox, he can have tv at his fingertips assuming he has a laptop and internet

CDC84
07-17-2008, 09:56 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=435574

Playing in Italy could be riskier than Jennings imagines

Upon getting word Brandon Jennings was about to sign a contract to play point guard for Roma in the Italian Serie A, Bill Neff decided to place a phone call. Think of it as his good deed for the day.

And yes, agents do good deeds, too.

Neff called Jeffrey Valle, the attorney who was advising Jennings on the matter of abandoning his commitment to play basketball at the University of Arizona and instead starting his professional career in Europe. Neff wanted Valle to know what he knows about Roma -- a franchise Neff now refuses to deal with in his role as a representative for more than 20 professional basketball players as president of Saga Sports.

"It's just too dishonest a situation," Neff said.

Alas, Valle did not return the call. So he can read about the challenges of European basketball the same as you.

It began with a player named Bill Edwards, a 6-8 forward from Wright State, who saw action in 22 games with the Philadelphia 76ers in the 1993-94 season but otherwise has spent his entire professional career playing overseas. Neff said Edwards was playing for Roma in 1997 on a $500,000 contract when he tested positive during a playoff series for a banned stimulant.

Edwards said it was an over-the-counter product he got from a health food store and that he barely exceeded the legal limit.

"At the time, I had no idea what ephedrine was," he said.

The offense wasn't viewed as especially grievous; his penalty was a one-game suspension. Roma was pleased enough to get him back that Edwards practiced regularly and played three more games after returning, but the team lost the series.

"As soon as the season was over it was like, 'We're not paying you nothing. See you later,' " Edwards said. He claims he was owed $150,000 by that point but never saw another dime.

Neff said it wasn't as simple as reneging on a contract -- instead Roma tried to claim the contract didn't exist. He explained the club tried to avoid paying taxes by signing Edwards to two separate contracts: the league contract (a smaller amount) and the image contract (substantially more, payable to a company from which Neff disbursed checks to Edwards).

Neff and Edwards took up Roma on a challenge to sue and won a judgment in an Italian court worth $230,000. The club declined to pay as it pursued appeals.

"The thing that bothered me the most was they tried to contend the image contract did not exist," Neff said.

He said he had written documents that proved there was such a contract.

"They pretended they were forged," Neff said.

SportingNews.com was unable to contact the team for comment.

He had U.S. tax documents that showed Edwards had earned more from Roma than the league contract would indicate - Neff always has his clients declare the full amount of their income to the IRS -- but the team continued its dispute.

"They kept suing, we kept winning," Neff said. "At the end of the day, seven years later, they got the judgment overturned."

Roma eventually decided to come after Neff and Edwards for legal fees and won a judgment in a U.S. court for $20,000. Edwards decided to quit the fight after that.

"Until they look to enforce it, I'm not going to pay," Neff said. "If they want to do business with me, take the $20,000 off the table and we can do business.

"They have a history of not paying. It's a great city. I love Rome. But you have that uncertainty."

Although Edwards said players getting stiffed on payments "is like a routine now" with European teams, he played in Greece, France and Spain after leaving Italy and never experienced anything as frustrating as what occurred with Roma.

"I got a lot of gray hair from it to say the least."

Neff's years of experience dealing with European basketball led him to believe Jennings -- and those advising him -- are making a mistake pursuing this course.

"People send players overseas when you can't get into the NBA," Neff said. "It's like your safe school. It's your second choice.

"You have a lot of elements that could derail his career. It's way too much risk for too little payoff."

TokyoZag
07-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Is Brandon Derrick Rose good? Micheal Beasley good?

or say... Darius Washington III good?

who does he compare to?

cjm720
07-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Getting paid to play is more than he'd get in the U.S. Do that for one or two years then go to the NBA (assuming he's good enough). Seems like a decent route to me if you can't acedemically qualify.

CDC84
07-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Brandon Jennings is not Derrick Rose/Michael Beasley good. He's not even Eric Gordon good. Which isn't to say that he won't eventually be really good, but it's going to take him more time to develop, not only in terms of his game, but in terms of his body. He's also a bit small for a projected NBA point.

Assuming Jennings puts his name in 2009 draft, he's a complete lock to be a 1st round pick. Lottery is certainly possible. nbadraft.net has him going at #11.

spokzagis
07-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Brandon Jennings=Sebastian Telfair.