PDA

View Full Version : Stover to UCLA?

spudzag
07-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Anthony Stover, 6-8 SR C La Canada (Calif. Renaissance, is a very promising young prospect. Stover has extremely long arms, a good frame that will add weight and he's an excellent shot-blocker. Couple that with a very nice feel for the game, and terrific passing ability, and you have one of the top post players in the west for 2009.
Stover has offers from Oregon State, Washington State, Gonzaga, USC and UConn. On Tuesday, two more Pac-10 schools offered the talented young big man. Rena Stover, Anthony's mother, informed me in an email that both Arizona State and UCLA offered scholarships Tuesday. She also mentioned that Gonzaga reiterated their offer last week.
Stover will be in Las Vegas next week for the Super 64 tournament and then in Los Angeles the following week for the Best of Summer tournament.

It's a significant development for Stover. UCLA Head Coach Ben Howland had watched Stover throughout the first portion of the July evaluation period and there were rumors that the Bruins could offer. Stover has visited UCLA's campus a couple of times, and it's believed the Bruins would be at the top of his list if they offered.

The second half of the July evaluation period begins July 22nd with three big simultaneous tournaments in Las Vegas.

UCLA will, obviously, push to get commitments out of Stover and Tyler Honeycutt, the 6-7 small forward from Sylmar that the Bruins also offered on Monday.

:(

spokanebruin
07-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Stover should be interesting. He has stated in the past that he is looking for early playing time. If he goes to UCLA he may have to wait his turn. Morgan should be around for a couple of years and we have a really good shot at Josh Smith in '10. He will really have to compete to get on the floor. That being said i hope he commits. You need to have solid 4 year players in your program.

MississppiZag
07-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Thank you UCLA, for taking Stover and Honeycutt. Like you really need them. :D

Time to move on. Guess we are going after Bak, Dower, Burton, and who knows who else.

ZagNative
07-16-2008, 12:56 PM
I ain't worried a bit. there will be plenty of talent to choose from when UCLA has filled out its recruiting class .... Now if we can just keep these guys hidden from Tubby Smith ...

http://www.caverun.org/images/Salt_Lick_High_School_Basketball_Team_1938.jpg

theothegreat21
07-16-2008, 12:57 PM
In all honesty, Im not that heartbroken about losing these two. While I think they are both great players, I dont think either was a "must" recruit for GU

Stover is incredibly raw....the talent and athleticism is there, but I really think he is a couple of years away from contributing. Dower has a much more polished offensive game and would be able to contribute in the post immediately if he commits here, Stover would not. I think Stover has a bigger upside and more potential then Dower, but Dower will be more then enough in the post for GU.

As for Honeycutt, I think the next Austin Daye comparison is a little much. Austin is a legit 6'10-7 while Honeycutt is only 6'7. A lot of the incredible shots and passes that Austin made would not have been successful if he was 4-6 inches shorter. Also, as I have mentioned before, Austin was the 25th ranked player in a stacked 2007 class. Honeycutt is maybe a top 100 player in a much weaker 2009 class. While there are comparisons to be made between the 2, I dont think we are missing out on the next Austin Daye

BobZag
07-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Zags will end up with a very nice 2009 class. We just don't know exactly who yet, but we have a good idea. Mangisto was a real nice start. When August comes and visits begin, commitments will pick up and it'll all take shape.

theothegreat21
07-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Zags will end up with a very nice 2009 class. We just don't know exactly who yet, but we have a good idea. Mangisto was a real nice start. When August comes and visits begin, commitments will pick up and it'll all take shape.

Bingo......with the targets that the staff are going after, there is a whole lot of very good options that could end up being Zags

sittingon50
07-16-2008, 02:50 PM
You're a star! 46 minutes after your last post on this thread, one of the goobers on the ewe ess eff board laughed out loud! I'm happy for the little feller!