• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AzZag
    Kennel Club
    • Jun 2008

IRA is a beast...

I, like all of you, am extremely bummed about Austin. However, he will be back. I had a complete ACL tear in football, and after a year of strong rehab, I hardly noticed my knee. The first 6-9 months are rough, and you have absolutely zero confidence in your knee holding up, but time and young bodies are great healing agents.

Anyways, the main reason of my post. Downtown Ira Brown...ok, not exactly downtown from three land...but a beast and man nonetheless...He is literally a man amongst boys. Last year, when he tried, he was able to completely shut down the weaker WCC guards/forwards. He is an alleyoop threat from half court and can play shutdown "D" and help on the boards. I am truly hoping the Few Crew will let him get into a groove and show what he can do. He is one of our best athletes and can really bring the energy to the team. In hindsight, I kind of wish that Coach Few would have let IRA plow through some of those Davidson screens last year and put some muscle on Mr. Curry....

If given this last opportunity in his storied career, I truly hope every second he is on the court he gives his all. If he does, he will help with some of the shortcomings of Austin's absence.

Although this is a blow, let's get behind some of the guys that will fill in, like Ira!
  • BroncoZAG615
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Love the post AzZag.

You can bet that every Gonzaga fan, especially those of us GuBoarders have a soft spot in our heart and TONS of hope for Ira. With Austin's injury it seems that he will most certainly be thrust into the rotation and see plenty of action early on. From my vantage point it seemed that Ira got more comfortable late in the year and got a few more minutes as he started to understand the offense. That seemed to be the only thing holding him back last season is that he never really looked totally comfortable.

He gave us such a great interview on TKR and you have to love his outlook and work ethic and I just can't imagine him finishing his career at Gonzaga without making a significant impact on this team.

I think that Ira could fill the Pendo-esque role (please Pendo lovers don't attack me). Ira works his butt off, plays good defense, and can rebound so well for his size. Pendo has the edge in nailing outside open shots but I think Ira's athleticism can make up for it. I know that I am comparing a player I have barely seen to everyone's favorite Zag but it's not that farfetched, but Ira has got to develop his comfort level before anything else.

Come on Ira!

Comment

• zzzjag
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

Ira

I for one was wishing IRA was used a few more minutes against Memphis and specifically Mr. Dorsey. I would have liked him to use a few fouls up and put Dorsey on the line.

Comment

Working...
      X