PDA

View Full Version : Mangisto/Canada vs Uruguay Game Thread

BobZag
07-15-2008, 09:35 AM
http://www.fibaamericas.com/torneos1_us.asp?t=FPVIWCZCXY

Click on the running banner at the top of the page. ZagNative said tipoff is at 1:00pm Spokane time.

Canada should have its way against Uruguay today. But Canada's next game, against Argentina, is a whole nother story. I think Argentina will be favored in that one.

Go get 'em, Mangisto!

ZagManFan
07-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Manny stuggling early.

Starts 0-2 with 3 boards and 3 TO's.

rich
07-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Canada down 16-20.

Mr Vulture
07-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Canada is now up 13pts and Manny is doing much better....

5pts (including 3ptr), 6 rebounds, 1 assist, no new turnover (3 for game), 1 block, and played almost the entire first half...19+ minutes...

cggonzaga
07-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Love the way this kid rebounds for a guard.

Scotto
07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
37 mins played
14 points
11 rebounds
6 turnovers

So far...

MississppiZag
07-15-2008, 02:02 PM
By Freezer12- "I predict that Marc Trasolini outscores (ppg) Arop."

:D

sonuvazag
07-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Looks like Manny's is a coach's fav. Never sits.

CDC84
07-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Love the way this kid rebounds for a guard.

You can thank that 7 foot wingspan. Of course rebounding is about effort too, but having that kind of wingspan helps.

I hope Canada ends up playing the U.S. at some point.

BTW....it is to my understanding that Manny needs to work on his handles some. So don't be surprised if you see some high turnover games like today. He's still developing.

Scotto
07-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Final Stats
38:15 m/p
14 points
12 rebounds
3 assists
6 turnovers
1 steal
1 block

BobZag
07-15-2008, 02:24 PM
His 12 rebounds were excellent today. He did much the same in Germany last March. But all other phases of Mangisto's game today were subpar. He'll have to play better on the offensive end (and cut down sloppiness) vs Argentina for Canada to win. Argentina can really ball. Homecourt advantage doesn't hurt, either.

MississppiZag
07-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Yet another double-double. I predict that he will average one for the entire tournament.:)

ZagNative
07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
It seems difficult to find much coverage of Canada basketball, especially the Juniors, on the internet. Here's one story (http://www.formosadeportiva.com.ar/?q=node/6199) (in spanish, with a rather humorous translation below in this post). the story has a couple of nice pics of #8, who the box score on the Fiba website shows as being Mangisto Arop. I have seen so few pics of Manny, I have to assume that these pics are, indeed, of our prized Canadian import:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/Mangisto%20Arop/2008-07-15MannyAropJrNatteamvUrugua.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/Mangisto%20Arop/2008-07-15MannyAropJuniorNationalte.jpg

Translation of the story linked, per Google Spanish to English translator:
Canada won its second victory of the tournament and with one foot inside the World. In the second encounter in the Fiftieth Anniversary Sports Centre, led by Greg Francis defeated Uruguay 76 to 56 and would be very difficult to stay without being able to go to New Zealand taking into account that there are four that fall. On this afternoon, was one of the best matches of the tournament with Uruguay which put all his teeth to try that Canada did not break his resistance. Robert Gagliardi, Canada, scored nothing more and nothing less than 33 points (maximum of the tournament) for his team's victory.

The first quarter between Canadians and Uruguayans was one of the best part is that they played so far. Game, heart, claw, all mixed into the head of each of the boys inside the stadium the match was a nice show. The claw Charrua was more than the technique led by Greg Francis in the first quarter and took him away 20 to 16.

In the second quarter changed history, Canada came out best and only left a mark Uruguayans 8 points throughout the part. Meanwhile, Canadians and amounted amounted to the hand of Robert Gagliardi (scorer with 33 points) to go to rest with the long part in his favor by 41 to 28. He was fourth in the key match because from this difference achieved by Canadians, Uruguay took him back to be quite so close as to get into the match.

The friction continued in the third partial and in more than one occasion we saw a little help from more, something that was a constant throughout the match, especially in the final minutes with Uruguay, which saw the encounter as they went from hands. Those of Canada, meanwhile, were trying to keep the claims by closing the fourth in its favor from 62 to 42.

Already in the final guy, things did not change much and Canada ended up winning 76 to 56. There was an attempt to boys Uruguayans by approaching his rival when averaged half of the fourth, were made to 11 points, but at the same time, Canadians, as quiet and virtually assured victory, tried some moves luxury, something which apparently did not fall into either the technician Greg Francis who immediately asked minute for his team. So went the fourth and Canada celebrated for the second time in the tournament and has over half a passage in his pocket.Sports translations must be difficult because of the lingo.